Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

Hi,

Newbie to water-cooleds, but not new to VWs. Was brought home from birth in the back of a VW Beetle, owned a '79 4 door Rabbit (gas powered) from new, Karmann Ghia pilot since 1983, etc. ... I recently rescued a 1960 VW double cab pickup truck from the high chaparral desert of California and while there I noticed a Rabbit based pickup truck - what I gather some are calling a Caddy - and thought I might rescue it from the desert, too. I talked to the owner, he has a second one, and is letting them both go into my hands.

I'm pretty good with a wrench, have restored many Karmann Ghias and 356es, but haven't done ANYTHING water-cooled since my Rabbit was stolen in 1983 - it had always been a great, trouble free car, so there wasn't much to wrench on at the time. And so, I know I'm about as ignorant as I could be - but hopefully, I'm not stupid. At least I know enough to ask for good advice!

I should mention that both of these cars have sat on the order of decade(s), but at least they both drove to where they were parked.

I know that I should start with these somewhat obvious steps:

1) complete brake system review and replacement of all brake hoses and cylinders (unless there's some good reason not to)

2) Complete electrical review. Obviously it'll need a battery. I presume the ground paths are going to be issues; check it all out, clean / replace as necessary, at least all the basics.

3) Take out the gas tank, dispose of contents, flush / wash, new fuel filter and ... ??

4) Flush the cooling system (not sure how to do this, just seems sensible).

5) ... Maybe step 1 is secure the official shop manual (Bentley, I presume?), in English... Then step 2 is read the damned thing! Cover To Cover! (It's amazing what you can learn if you just try!)

6) Complete rubber analysis: tires ... what about hoses and belts? I'd presume ALL should be considered suspect. And that timing belt? It's rubber too, as I recall.

...OK, that's the end of what I think I've got to do... I'm SURE there are things I need to look out for, precautions to take, specialty tools to buy, etc. And this is what I'm asking yall to help me get right. Consider this a "How Do You Reawaken A Caddy From Near Death" type thread.

Oh, and here's an image of my 912 powered Adventure Wagon (a 1971 VW Camper) rescuing the 1960 double cab a few weeks ago - note the Caddy visible between the other two cars! That one has a known issue that it was parked because the fifth gear had gone out. I'm pretty sure both cars are diesels.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1611305.jpg

I have a tow dolley and will be bringing them back, one at a time, behind this same camper... I tried to find spare wheels to bring with me with good air but all I could find in the 4 X 100 size were Jetta space-saver spares, but at least it appears that they will fit. I'll try my air tank on the old tires first, and change them out to the space-savers if I have to, but if anyone has some known good tires in the San Francisco Bay Area they could loan me for the weekend, that would be awesome! As soon as I rescue them, I'll be able to put new rubber on the original rims...

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Karmann Ghia and Porsche 356 enthusiast
Founder, The Karmann Ghia Club of N. America
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

I believe that your first step should be to remove the spark plugs (or injectors if they're diesels), squirt some oil in the cylinders & rotate the crank by hand a few revolutions. From there, drop the tank & clean it, & then flush the fuel system & see how much of it is salvageable. Only after doing this would I start investing time & money in the rest of the vehicles. The price & availability of some of the fuel system parts may dictate how deep you want to go in the vehicles.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I believe that your first step should be to remove the spark plugs (or injectors if they're diesels), squirt some oil in the cylinders & rotate the crank by hand a few revolutions. From there, drop the tank & clean it, & then flush the fuel system & see how much of it is salvageable. Only after doing this would I start investing time & money in the rest of the vehicles. The price & availability of some of the fuel system parts may dictate how deep you want to go in the vehicles.

I've never worked on a diesel before, but I presume it's similar enough to gasoline that most all the procedures for cleaning would be the same, though I hear about fuel "gelling" and don't know the first thing about that. Guidance would be welcome.

As for fuel system, I have a potential buyer in mind and I think he'd be fine with a fuel type swap to regular gasoline if that were deemed a smarter route. Also, there are two of these things and perhaps one could be saved using parts from the other and then the lesser vehicle parted out.

Any pointers as to what parts are either hard to find or expensive or both? I've heard the diesel injection pump is not available new but is available as a re-manufactured unit for under $500 (saw an ad for 350-ish British pounds). Any comments about this are welcome, too.

Thanks

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

You stand a MUCH better chance of reviving a diesel fuel system than a gasoline one. Diesel fuel remains oily & preserves the components & doesn't break down as quickly as gasoline. The only problem with diesel fuel is that there is an algae that grows in stagnant diesel (don't let this contaminated fuel stay in contact with flesh, it will feed on that too). After confirming that engine rotates freely, drain the tank, flush the system, prime with ATF & FIRE it up. After running it on ATF (yes, the will readily run on straight ATF), you can put diesel in the tank & add Diesel Purge.

Remove air filter & make sure that there is no oil puddling in the intake, this can cause a "runaway" condition where the engine runs on the motor oil itself.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You stand a MUCH better chance of reviving a diesel fuel system than a gasoline one. Diesel fuel remains oily & preserves the components & doesn't break down as quickly as gasoline. The only problem with diesel fuel is that there is an algae that grows in stagnant diesel (don't let this contaminated fuel stay in contact with flesh, it will feed on that too). After confirming that engine rotates freely, drain the tank, flush the system, prime with ATF & FIRE it up. After running it on ATF (yes, the will readily run on straight ATF), you can put diesel in the tank & add Diesel Purge.

Remove air filter & make sure that there is no oil puddling in the intake, this can cause a "runaway" condition where the engine runs on the motor oil itself.

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of advice a newbie like me needs!

I'm planning to fetch at least one of them tomorrow! :-)

The fuel system doesn't sound so bad, though I don't yet know how to do things like flushing it, or priming it.

I'm surprised you didn't have any advice about the cooling system... I'd think it's got corrosion inside due to water sitting in it for decades! I was thinking I'd have to somehow flush the cooling system (and I don't yet know how to do that, either)...

I've got to get a manual! Someone said get the Bentley AND the Haynes...

Thanks again,
Richard

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

As long as it had antifreeze in it, it should be just a flush & fill. If it had only water in it, it's likely to be a mess. Antifreeze is & has rust inhibitors in it. The only thing that might be an issue is a possible water pump failure.

If the engine turns over, it would be highly suggested to replace the timing belt before firing it up, rubber bands don't like sitting in one place for long & the time the vehicle has sat, definitely exceeds the shelf life (yes, newer t-belt kits really do have an expiration date) of a timing belt

rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
As long as it had antifreeze in it, it should be just a flush & fill. If it had only water in it, it's likely to be a mess. Antifreeze is & has rust inhibitors in it. The only thing that might be an issue is a possible water pump failure.

If the engine turns over, it would be highly suggested to replace the timing belt before firing it up, rubber bands don't like sitting in one place for long & the time the vehicle has sat, definitely exceeds the shelf life (yes, newer t-belt kits really do have an expiration date) of a timing belt

Again, I'm so grateful for the advice.

YES, I had asked on other forums (and maybe this one?) about changing the timing belt because it's so damned old and because it's primarily a rubber product - kind of like the brake hoses, it MUST have a "sell by" date that's LONG expired! So, I'm glad you echo my own thoughts about that.

Now, what about all the other hoses? Is it a "replace them as they blow is fine" situation, or is it smart to do a lot (all?) of them now? Similarly, what about the engine mounts? Exhaust hangars? (I seem to recall from my '79 Rabbit that the whole exhaust is hung by rubber rings.)

Thanks again,
Richard

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

Hoses, mounts, hangers would all probably need to be replaced, BUT, are you intending on keeping it or flipping it? If you plan on selling it, you're better off doing the bare minimum unless the buyer is willing to pick up those costs, otherwise, new hoses are just hoses in the buyers mind.

Fortunately, hoses for those are relatively inexpensive unlike a lot of the other VW products. The most important thing to know about VW water cooled hoses is that they are ALL molded hoses, there isn't a "by the foot" hose that will fit. At the very least, they change diameters from one end to the other.

rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Hoses, mounts, hangers would all probably need to be replaced, BUT, are you intending on keeping it or flipping it? If you plan on selling it, you're better off doing the bare minimum unless the buyer is willing to pick up those costs, otherwise, new hoses are just hoses in the buyers mind.

Fortunately, hoses for those are relatively inexpensive unlike a lot of the other VW products. The most important thing to know about VW water cooled hoses is that they are ALL molded hoses, there isn't a "by the foot" hose that will fit. At the very least, they change diameters from one end to the other.

Thank you again.

... Drug them both back from the chaparral yesterday - quite a feat, I must say! The plan is that I bought them both and even before getting them out of the desert, I flipped one of them and figured I'd sell the second later. However, the flipped one is to a friend of mine who intends to run it and I already know I'll be the "mechanic on duty" even though I'll have him do all the work in a master / apprentice relationship. Only, I'd better be up to the task of "master!"

However, while fetching the first car, I instantly understood that the one car was much worse off than I'd realized, so there's really only one good set worth of parts present, and the other is unlikely to be anything more than a backup set of additional parts - though they'll have to be sold off (or scrapped if necessary) due to space limitations.

Thanks for the comment on hoses - I was aware of this from the time of my ownership of a 4 door Rabbit, '79 to '83 - but it's good to know that there are virtually no length-based hoses on the engine, though I do recall, I think, that there were some such hoses in the engine bay... maybe the coolant overflow, windshield washers, and maybe (gasoline model) evaporative control system...

I suppose one could just try the hoses and let them fail, but seems to me foolish: all new if you intend to run it! Maybe a vendor supplies a kit?

The one is a 4 speed and is thought to have a good gearbox but the engine is seized. The other is a 5 speed and the engine is not seized, but the transaxle is said to have a bad 5th gear. Unfortunately, the one with the bad engine AND only 4 gears is the one which has the better body. We're now thinking we'll move both good engine and bad transaxle from one the one with the worse body, rebuilding the transaxle along the way, so the car ends up with 5 speeds. Are there any reasons this wouldn't work?

Also, the one with the better body and 4 speed doesn't shift AT ALL, and it's in gear. With a seized engine, this makes it rather annoying to move around! I vaguely recall from my earlier Rabbit experience that there are nylon balls or some such in the linkage that can cause such a problem? Any pointers here? ...Today I've ordered the Bentley manual, but it will take some time to arrive. In the mean time, any tips on either popping it out of gear or perhaps manually actuating the clutch from inside the engine bay soas to release the gearbox?

Thanks!

Regards,
Richard

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

You can replace just the 5th gear (if you found a donor trans.), it probably failed due to insufficient gear oil level, the down side is that all those pieces are in the trans. Shift linkage is different but should work going 5 to 4, just not the other way.

As far as getting the 4-speed car out of gear, in the engine bay on the drivers side, just behind & under the battery, you can see the shift input lever on the transmission. That lever pointing straight up is neutral, grab it & move it to that position (just make sure that the wheels are chocked or that the parking brake is on first).

rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You can replace just the 5th gear (if you found a donor trans.), it probably failed due to insufficient gear oil level, the down side is that all those pieces are in the trans. Shift linkage is different but should work going 5 to 4, just not the other way.

If I understand you right, then we're not going to be able to get the 5 speed into the better bodied car? ... We can move over the entire set of shift linkage parts, or is that what can't be done? A friend of mine who rebuilds transaxles, including Rabbits, said that both the 5 to 4 and 4 to 5 swap is easily done if you have the complete linkage of the style you're going to. He also said it's easy to swap knobs on the shift levers so you retain the correct pattern there for new drivers to get it right. If he's mistaken, I need to know that! :-)

And yes, insufficient gear oil would likely mean further damage inside. :-(

He said that a typical rebuild of the 5 speed would cost around $1500 but could be more, maybe much more, depending on what's actually wrong inside, but that he's not doing that many at the present time because a lot of Rabbit owners are installing transaxles from younger vehicles. He gave a specific name, but it didn't ring any bells with me. . . Perhaps a younger transaxle would be a smart strategy? Any pointers there would be appreciated, too.

Thanks again,
Richard

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

Sorry to confuse you, the 4 & 5 speeds will fit either vehicle. The 5-speed linkage has a longer throw, this means that you can put the 4-speed in the 5-speed vehicle without having to change the linkage.

But you will need to change the linkage to install the 5-speed trans into the 4-speed car.

5th gear resides in a separate housing in the transmission, its common for 5th to go bad if the gear lube got low, but the rest of the transmission be ok. The only problem is some of the 5th gear particles contaminating the rest of the trans. Ive installed many 5th gear sets, flushed the fluid & the transmissions were fine. Some of the drain plugs had a magnet to catch the debris. Drain & fill the trans & drive it (when you get to that point) to see if the transmission shifts & is quiet, if so, find a 5th gear set & install it. This can be done with the transmission in the vehicle.

rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

...snip...
5th gear resides in a separate housing in the transmission, its common for 5th to go bad if the gear lube got low, but the rest of the transmission be ok. The only problem is some of the 5th gear particles contaminating the rest of the trans. Ive installed many 5th gear sets, flushed the fluid & the transmissions were fine. Some of the drain plugs had a magnet to catch the debris. Drain & fill the trans & drive it (when you get to that point) to see if the transmission shifts & is quiet, if so, find a 5th gear set & install it. This can be done with the transmission in the vehicle.

That sounds like VERY good financially helpful advice! Thanks!

crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

i highly doubt a 5th gear set to fix it... they fail in 2 ways... the needle bearing melts that supports the 5th gear part on the main shaft, throwing 5th outta balance and shredding its teeth off.. this tends to fill the box with all kinds of metal..

the 2nd is 5th gear spins on the pinion shaft ruining both shaft and gear..

the good news.. both should have great reverse gears.. same parts in both 4/5 speed.. i use them to rebuild bad mk3 020 reverse trannies as $400 in parts to buy them.. and those old gears are better quality then what you can buy new..

any 020 5 speed is direct fit into a bunny... but gear ratios.. many many used from 78-99.5 are a good thing to look up... the axle flanges are your only may not fit.. bunny = 90mm... they used both 90/100mm ones thru the years... and finding 90mm ones are harder n harder..

put one in netrual under hood?? no linkage needed.... if still locked in gear.. disconnect axle off tranny flange... the car i drug home from cali had nuff sediment in the tranny to form concrete aroud the diff welding it in place... i removed the axles keeping the outter joints installed to prevent wheels from falling off/damaging bearings

you can fit a 02a/02j in one.. later modle cable shift stuff associated with tdi type engine swaps... but over kill if not adding a tdi..

unless the one has major rot.. consider saving both... but shock towers/floor boards around control arm mount rot.. to me turns into a trailer or car to clip.. aka extended cab truck worthy..

back to tdi... before you invest lotsa $$ fixing the old engines.. adding a tdi longblock, a rover fuel pump and not adding the turbo, you can in theory fit it as simple as whats in it, get better hp, and a newer engine thats more effecent for around 1500 if you can find a 800$ wrecked tdi.. keeping the turbo off keeps cost cheap.. the real $$ is the ic/exhaust to keep the turbo... but can add it later when more $ found.. get the lb in and running... then dick with exotics.. the rover pump keeps it 1 wire throttle cable non computerized... and been happy with mine for the past 6 years... tooo bad all the "self made" m-tdi fuel pumps gave many bad taste.. the rover pump.. its almost bolt on perfection in a bottle depending on alh/ahu.. one requires machine work.. else bolt in and go..
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

Great stuff, thanks! I'm sure I'll be referencing this in the future as I get further along...

Just a few points here I don't quite follow.

crsmp5 wrote:

any 020 5 speed is direct fit into a bunny... but gear ratios.. many many used from 78-99.5 are a good thing to look up... the axle flanges are your only may not fit.. bunny = 90mm... they used both 90/100mm ones thru the years... and finding 90mm ones are harder n harder..

I see. I'm not quite sure what an "020" is in this context but I can do homework. And I'm glad there are plenty of boxes out there. As for 90 vs 100mm, I gather these are the outside diameters of the CVs. I presume that if the stub-axle was available in a 100mm version, you'd have said so, and I would have GUESSED that you could always have mismatched CVs on the same shaft, 90 on the outer, 100 on the trans, for example, but you didn't mention that either. Hmmm So I guess the axle itself is different and won't take either one.

crsmp5 wrote:

disconnect axle off tranny flange... the car i drug home from cali had nuff sediment in the tranny to form concrete aroud the diff welding it in place... i removed the axles keeping the outter joints installed to prevent wheels from falling off/damaging bearings

I find this very curious! :-) ... The stub axle needs the help of the CV to keep the front spindle from coming apart or damaging its bearings?! Wow! In that case, did you remove the CV from the axle but left the boot on to help keep dirt out? Or, perhaps I'm not picturing this correctly.

crsmp5 wrote:

you can fit a 02a/02j in one.. later modle cable shift stuff associated with tdi type engine swaps... but over kill if not adding a tdi..

Again, more nomenclature to learn! ... I take it 02a and 02J are yet later versions of the transaxle but have different shifting system, and, I gather that these parts can be swapped over IF you have not only the trans but also the associated linkage parts from the vehicle...

As for TDI, I gather from usage that that's a synonym for turbo diesel?

crsmp5 wrote:

unless the one has major rot.. consider saving both... but shock towers/floor boards around control arm mount rot.. to me turns into a trailer or car to clip.. aka extended cab truck worthy..

I'd LOVE to save both, but am cautious. The worse of the two - the one I got title to! :-) - has a trashed interior, and the exterior is a mixed bag. Neither appear to have much rust but then I haven't yet been able to look them over fully. (When I asked my two buddies to pull all the crap out of the interior they apparently "never got around to it", and there's so much stuff in the way.)

I won't be the one to make an extended cab or trailer! I'll pass it on to someone else if it comes to that. In fact, I won't be investing in the second one very much at all; my version of "saving it" will be to find a new owner who will! :-)

What's this "control arm mount"? You mean the A arms at each front wheel? I wasn't aware that was anywhere near the floors. The

crsmp5 wrote:

back to tdi... before you invest lotsa $$ fixing the old engines.. adding a tdi longblock, a rover fuel pump and not adding the turbo, you can in theory fit it as simple as whats in it, get better hp, and a newer engine thats more effecent for around 1500 if you can find a 800$ wrecked tdi.. keeping the turbo off keeps cost cheap.. the real $$ is the ic/exhaust to keep the turbo... but can add it later when more $ found.. get the lb in and running... then dick with exotics.. the rover pump keeps it 1 wire throttle cable non computerized... and been happy with mine for the past 6 years... tooo bad all the "self made" m-tdi fuel pumps gave many bad taste.. the rover pump.. its almost bolt on perfection in a bottle depending on alh/ahu.. one requires machine work.. else bolt in and go..

All VERY interesting and potentially outlining how we might go with the better pickup. I DO NOT want to go to computerized anything and like very much "one wire throttle cable non computerized!" However, I also gather that you mean there are two different versions of the Rover fuel pump and one is a bolt-on installation and the other requires making some part or other.

Thank you for suggesting all this! :-)

Richard

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

I don't know about the titling issues in your area but Id suggest sorting that out before spending any time or money on the "good" one.

crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

020 is tranny style in your caddy.. 02a is a mk3/b4 passat tranny, a 02j is a mk4/nb tranny..

cannot fit 100mm inner joints on a 90mm axle.. its thicker and will not allow the c clip to fit... a 100mm outter joint needs modded to fit.. and 86-88 16v rocco and some 85-92 convertables have 100mm axles n joints... so to keep a 020 is easy if you keep 90mm joints.. its just 82/83 they switched to a spring loaded cup design.. and 90mm was offered thru 88ish on the mk2 before everything went 100mm

alh vs ahu... one is mk3/b4 passat designed off what is stock in truck, but requires fuel pump mount to be machined to fit.. and other is mk4/nb and the rover pump fits like stock.. they also tend to sell for less then the other due to the fitment.. non turbo the mk4/nb will be the better cost/dollar and span 99-03 vs 96-98..

now your key issue... take all locks apart.. rekey as needed.. not that hard.. once you have a collecton of wafers its real easy goto junk yard get 4 more door handles from a mk1/mk2/mk3 and one or 2 more ignition switches.. be like me i have 1 key for 4 toys.. Smile

yes the rear lower control arm mounts into the floor.. ive seen them rot good.. not as common as strut tower.. but it happens.. watched a kid pour $$ into one.. then it broke thru the floor Sad
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

If one of these is for sale , I could be interested
Pictures and price please
Larry
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

sandhopper wrote:
If one of these is for sale , I could be interested
Pictures and price please
Larry

To my great chagrin, the guy I drug the Caddies out of the chaparral for has decided he's not all that interested in owning one after all. Said that if he can't get the parts at a FLAPS like Kragen or Pep Boys, it's the wrong car for him. -face-palm-

He did, however, agree to at least help clean them out properly and get them ready for sale. He says he's going to come by this coming weekend to work on them. ... Will post pictures when there's something worth posting!

Richard

sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing TWO Rabbit based pickup trucks from the CA chaparral Reply with quote

Picture of anything is ok by me
Do you have an idea on price ?
And where are you located ? I'm in Norwalk Ca
Thanks Larry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: