Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 Westfalia Deluxe
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Day one on the 1975 Westy that I acquired from another forum member on here. He purchased all of the replacement panels, tons of suspension parts, an extra set of wheels, freshly rebuild series 4 engine, rebuilt trans and managed to save all of the original interior, among many other original parts. I picked it up last week, had it delivered via AAA a couple days ago and got to work today.

Test fitted the new floor pan, it fits nice, and traced my cuts for the foot wells in the dog legs. Cut out a section of the rear cargo floor and fitted it up as well. Not bad for about two hours of work and the first day.

This will be my build thread, and with that being said, I really appreciate everyone's advice, and constructive criticism. If you're here to troll, however I will kindly ask you not to post anything. I saved this bus from the scrap yard, and it needs some work. No matter what it can't get any worse. I've gotten some serious inspiration from other forum members builds. Thanks everyone !

Now for the photos...
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sethpat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Wow! I'm in awe of what you're undertaking. This thread is going to be very informative, I can tell.

Sorry, I am too new to buses to offer advice. But I can say "way to go!" Another one saved.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba! If you haven't taken anything like this on before, there are many good build threads to learn from. There is also a paint and body work forum here on TheSamba that I suggest checking out.

Top thread to read if you pick just one: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545030&highlight=

He does an amazing job! now, keep in mind you have to do what is right for you as well. My build was not near as good as his, but I did complete mine much faster which was important for me being on barrowed time and needing to get back to spending time with my wife.

Welcome again and feel free to ask questions, make sure post lots of pictures. We love pictures! (its much easier to read a 100 word picture than a novel. Wink )
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Day two.

Last edited by sethpat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

While looking at the system, I found this regulator that my MC lines run into. I believe this is my pressure regulator for the rear brakes. If I pull it out and clean it up, could it be salvageable? Doesn't seem to be any water in the lines, and they're all in surprisingly good shape for the age. They'll all be replaced though.

Thanks for any input and time,
Seth

Last edited by sethpat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

You're all probably going to think I'm nuts, but the goal is to have this thing drive-able the summer. Plan is to take care of the major rust repair now, get the brake and suspension components replaced and then be able to work on it, and drive it as well.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

The Tee in the brake booster line is/was for the EGR system, if you aren't running EGR delete the Tee.
The brake regulator is fairly tough, don't take it apart, your Bentley has a description of what it does.

Is that a bent tie rod I see? Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Ha, it sure is. The PO pulled this thing out of a ditch. I have a new front beam about ready to go in, and the frame is nice and straight so I'm not too worried about it. Probably would've replaced em anyways, they're pretty rusty. Thanks for the help on the vacuum line. I read up on the regulator in my Bentley. Anyone have any input on those braided hoses?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

This bus seems familiar. If the previous owner had a build thread going, I'm sure I read it.

As I recall, he was doing pretty good with it but then had some unfortunate life circumstances that caused the bus to be put on the back burner.

Glad to see it has been picked back up and will eventually see the road again!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Been hard at work the last few weeks, I'll post photos soon. Cut, fabricated and welded in 17 new pieces in the roof, new metal in the engine compartment, spot blasted and cleaned the whole bus, new suspension components and a few various body panels. Waiting on my new cargo floor and some transaxle mounts, which got me thinking about the rocker panels. I was only planning on replacing the inner and outer, and skipping the middle panel. Anyone have an opinion on this? To me it just seems like more metal to trap moisture. Any reason I can't just do the inner and outer ?

Thanks !
Seth
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Back at it. Decided against the middle rocker panel. I mounted the new lower sliding door track and put my door on to see how it fit... like a glove. The nose is almost done. Lots of welding, grinding and a tiny bit of bondo to smooth it out but it's looking good. Gonna throw on some primer and call it a day. Big box of bus parts on the way, hoping to have the engine in and running by May 1st. Only issue I've come across is figuring what clutch I need. Porsche 914 engine with a "bus flywheel" from the PO. The flywheel has 130 teeth and the diameter measures roughly 220mm across. I've included photos, if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. Posted photos of my other progress as well.

Last edited by sethpat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Found some OG paint! Feels good

Last edited by sethpat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Wow! You're flyin'! Shocked Lookin' really good!! Smile

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Thanks! I've got some serious hours logged into this thing already. Bought a new (used) millermatic 135 rig for this build and I couldn't be happier with its performance. Plenty of power and really great control; I highly recommend it for anyone doing any kind of welding on their bus

Last edited by sethpat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westy Delux... part 2 Reply with quote

Been awhile since my last update, I've been pretty hard at work on the bus. All of my welding is almost done... I have to finish the rear wheel arches, sliding door guide and then my cargo floors. The end is nearer.

I purchased a new main wiring harness, figured it would save me a massive headache since the PO didn't leave me much to work with. Spent a couple of days figuring out the DIN wiring diagrams and they finally make sense to me. Had a real "ah ha" moment today. Once I'm done welding and get the basics wired up I'm gonna throw some fuel in and see if it'll go.

Still need to get the rear hubs off, I'm now certain that it's an impossible job without a 1000 lb impact or having the engine and CV axles hooked up along with a massive breaker bar.

Finally, a few photos. I'll take more once I roll it out and get it cleaned up a bit.

Last edited by sethpat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Progress feels slow on the Frankenbus, but something is better than nothing.

I bought a "lower sliding door track" from Wolfsburg, which ended up only being the piece that the vertical roller of the lower mechanism rolls on. I don't really understand why this piece would be reproduced, as I cant see how someone would go about disassembling the entire system and manage to salvage the upper portion. Anyways, they don't stock the upper section that keeps the horizontal roller in place, so I was left in a tough spot. My original was rusted beyond repair and I couldn't find it anywhere. I ended up purchasing the entire system from Mid America Motorworks; it was the complete piece made by Klockerholm. At this point my B and C pillars had already been welded in place as well as my outer rocker panel, so there was no way I was taking out the Wolfsburg section. I ended up cutting the top portion from the Klockerholm and fitting it. Seeing that they were both from two different companies, fitment was not easy. Took me most of the day yesterday, but got it in, and primed. Today I was able to start on my cargo floor, it's about 60% of the way in

Also got my rear wheel arch sections in. They came with the bus, and are also Klockerholm. They're absolute garbage. The metal is flimsy, and fitment was terrible. Pretty sure everyone knows this though. Still managed to get em in, and with some grinding and a thin layer of bondo they'll look okay.

Some other very important work as well... put some decals on and the pop top seal.

EDIT**

Finally got around to fixing the broken photobucket links in this thread and came across some photos that I never uploaded... so here they are

Last edited by sethpat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

I'm too much of a candy ass to commit to the amount of steel work you did.

Thanks to you, another bus is saved!

Rear wheel hub nut: because I already have a fairly large air compressor, getting a 3/4 inch drive impact wrench was a natural step. Found a decent Japanese made unit in a pawn shop for $80 then got the impact socket from Napa Auto.

This situation works great for removing and most of the install, but I then put the 3/4 inch breaker bar and long pipe calculating my body weight and length of pipe for a close estimate of final torque. This week I got a 1/2 drive torque wrench with a max of 250 foot pounds.
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Nice work. I'm considering making this a "parts bus" but since you saved yours I might have to step up my game.

sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I'm too much of a candy ass to commit to the amount of steel work you did.

Thanks to you, another bus is saved!

Rear wheel hub nut: because I already have a fairly large air compressor, getting a 3/4 inch drive impact wrench was a natural step. Found a decent Japanese made unit in a pawn shop for $80 then got the impact socket from Napa Auto.

This situation works great for removing and most of the install, but I then put the 3/4 inch breaker bar and long pipe calculating my body weight and length of pipe for a close estimate of final torque. This week I got a 1/2 drive torque wrench with a max of 250 foot pounds.

It's been an insane amount of work. There were a couple days that were so frustrating I seriously considered giving up. I wish I would've tracked my hours, I have a ton of time invested. This bus has basically been my full time job for the last couple months. The end is in sight (sorta). Plan is to enjoy this thing as a beater more or less.

I have a decent air compressor, but the tank is only 20 gallons. It has a 5hp motor so I've been thinking about picking up an external tank so I can run more demanding air tools. Still haven't gotten those hub nuts off
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: