Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Got any figures on "before/after" mpg?

I'm pretty sure they sold that van.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

Got any figures on "before/after" mpg?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

Super sweet. Well done.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
noelleon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

Came out well I think.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

How’s the progress on this rack? I’d love to see any updates. Thanks.

noelleon wrote:
Finally made some progress with this and have the first prototype!
Flat packs with panels for lights or rotopax. Gutter mounts are ARB pattern so awnings bolt directly..making a Roadshower mount.
Bars will be black and panels van body color.
Testing it this weekend and will then start mounting hardware and adding the top panel for solar.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Blair_Francis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

OMG!! This is AMAZING! I'm super inspired to do this to my new 82 Diesel High Top that I'm picking up on Saturday!! She's a real beaut and will be taking us down to Mexico this fall for a long term adventure. How has your design stood the test of time? Are you willing to share the design so I can make one here with local craftsmen?

Thanks so much!!

PS... this is my soon to be new van:

noelleon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

Finally made some progress with this and have the first prototype!
Flat packs with panels for lights or rotopax. Gutter mounts are ARB pattern so awnings bolt directly..making a Roadshower mount.
Bars will be black and panels van body color.
Testing it this weekend and will then start mounting hardware and adding the top panel for solar.

rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

Any updates on a kit?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
For those just looking for solar panels, 100 watt high efficiency semi-fexibles are going for about $160- $180 these days. Easy to tape down, no drilling.

Do you know of any 100 watt panels that fit on any panel of a NAHT? The 100 watt flexible panels that I know of all oveehang any flat spot, hence, I'm using 50 watt panels with an aux. 100 watt panel for longer stays.

Abscate wrote:

Cbkg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

I would research the use of the flexible solar panels first, I've read a few reviews from people that have had them for a year and some reporting warping, cupping and loss of efficiency... solar panels need air circulation under them to prevent overheating...

Renogy,out of Cali, I believe is offering a 100% rebate for all of their flexible solar panels sold...

https://www.renogy.com/voluntary-product-recall/
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

You might want to consider making the racking out of Unistrut. You can check the loading ratings for Unistrut from their web site but the 13/16 X 1 5/8" Aluminum strut is certainly rated to support far more than anyone would rationally be thinking of putting on it.
I make up brackets of 1/4" aluminum plate that join the various Unistrut parts together to accomplish whatever design the top owner wants. The great thing about the Unistrut is that virtually any design is possible and that virtually anything can be attached to the racking anywhere. Spring nuts are used in the channel and stay in place if the racking is taken off for storage which makes reassembly really quick and easy.
I only make the brackets up for each specific design. The van owner sources the Unistrut locally and puts the racking together - it takes 3 - 4 hours the first time - some pics of racking that I built for an AW top are on the Northamericanhightops.com website and https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Mundopacheco

J. Charlton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

For those just looking for solar panels, 100 watt high efficiency semi-fexibles are going for about $160- $180 these days. Easy to tape down, no drilling.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Can you point me to the source of your panels? I'm particularly interested in the one on the rear deck. I'd really like to find modular panels in strips two cells wide to install around my Fantastic fan on the top of the roof.

last time i talked to NAHT installer kevin gratton, he was or already had ordered some sets of custom solar panels that fit either side of the Fantastic Fan. might check with him and see if he has any left. they were 25w each. instagram: @veedubdayspa
bivouac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

I've been wanting something like this for my '87 NAHT Syncro, make it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

That rack appears to make the NAHT design much more palatable from an aesthetic perspective and adds functional load bearing and attachment points to the top. That's a solid conceptual approach and I can't wait to see a working prototype.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

Ok, I'm subscribed! Interesting design and looking forward to seeing pics of it in the flesh.
tosimplify
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Can you point me to the source of your panels? I'm particularly interested in the one on the rear deck. I'd really like to find modular panels in strips two cells wide to install around my Fantastic fan on the top of the roof.

I bought these panels from dhgate.com, though I've since checked the site, and it looks like they're not available anymore. The two bigger panels are 90 watts, and the smaller one is 75.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

love it, best design for a NAHT rack yet. i especially love that you could just have the front or back racks.
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

Very cool idea, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.
noelleon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum rack for NAHT hightop Reply with quote

tosimplify wrote:

Those are very cool panels. I'm also working on moving the venting system to the slanted area before the step down. I dig our fan but I'd love to be able to vent air in the rain. My thought is to make a cover for the lower shelf to hold that system.

I did a version using just rails and there definitely some advantages, but...I can save weight and just kinda dig first method...

so I combined the two and some of your thoughts:

The partial rail system gives strength in the weak spot and allows for hidden cable routing.

Now I only have about a 3/4 Inch deviation with a 100 pound push on the weakest spot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: