Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lightweight engine hardware
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

Should be a topic!
Today I noticed that some 2.5 subaru rod nuts fits VW, and it's lighter and stronger, 12mm head and flanged, so now I have to get some of those because.....(well, I guess it won't actually make any REAL difference but it'd be cool.) ah.... Will help stroker clearance!

Another one, is toyota 22r lash adjusters are NEARLY same as vw, and have 12mm jam nuts, so I'm going to start collecting those too.

Bell metric sells 12x1.5 flanged 18mm head nuts that work great on the main studs, they also sell extra thick big 8mm washers that work great on the head studs, trans side covers, ect.
Hondas use lots of 8x1.25 12mm head flanged nuts that work great everywhere.

Happy nut hunting Razz
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

I used to tell my old man that my VW was better than his Chevy because my emergency tool kit basically only required a 13mm wrench to remove about 90% of all the bolts on the car. But man, those oddball 8 X 1.25's with a 12mm head sure do come in handy sometimes, especially in those hard to reach places like the manifolds. I guess having to throw an extra wrench in the tool kit just to take them off and put them back on isn't such a bad trade.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

Very often if I take a bolt out OFF the car, I usually replace it with a better one, if I have a better one.
The subaru rod nut has a part number: #802009010

How much lighter will the car be if every 13mm was 12mm?

For emergencies; vise-grips!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

I love these for intakes and exhaust, and any tight to get to spot
https://www.belmetric.com/hex-with-flange-c-3_51_5...1vhsmaots7
M8-1.25 10mm wrench, class 10
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

esde wrote:

Thanks! I have been looking for those!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Very often if I take a bolt out OFF the car, I usually replace it with a better one, if I have a better one.

I remember Lexus adds from years ago saying they shaved 30lbs off their cars by using bolts with partially hollow heads.

I have a stash of oddball hardware including a bunch of 8 and 10mm aluminum bolts used on BMW belhousings. They have male TORX heads. I use them for top bellhousing bolts and in a couple of other places

brad
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
modok wrote:

I remember Lexus adds from years ago saying they shaved 30lbs off their cars by using bolts with partially hollow heads.

I have a stash of oddball hardware including a bunch of 8 and 10mm aluminum bolts used on BMW belhousings. They have male TORX heads. I use them for top bellhousing bolts and in a couple of other places

brad

30lbs? That's impressive! I recently started a campaign to replace most of my hardware with SS allen head bolts because they don't rust and I think the allens look better, and they're easier to wrench on. The fact that the hollow head might be lighter never even occurred to me. Bonus!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

There's M12x1.5 15mm (15mm if memory serves) 12-point nuts. I keep a few sets at all times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

esde wrote:

I use the steel and stainless steel oned for the exhaust. Didn't know copper was available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

The copper nuts are either solid copper, or steel covered with copper. Copper is soft compared to steel. I like the factory nuts and bolts which excludes copper or copper plated. Do everything just like built at the factory.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

They're heavy copper plating.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
I recently started a campaign to replace most of my hardware with SS allen head bolts because they don't rust and I think the allens look better, and they're easier to wrench on. The fact that the hollow head might be lighter never even occurred to me. Bonus!

That's not a great idea.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Floating VW wrote:
I recently started a campaign to replace most of my hardware with SS allen head bolts because they don't rust and I think the allens look better, and they're easier to wrench on. The fact that the hollow head might be lighter never even occurred to me. Bonus!

That's not a great idea.

X2

Unless they are aerospace quality 440 or better stainless that have been hardened....or are way oversized for the apllication. they are quite a bit weaker. About the average class 8.8 bolt (approx grade 5)....or less. They are also quite stretchy.

Also...allen heads for high torque bolts are the absolute weakest and worst system. I only use them when i must......or when I cannot find a Torx bolt if the low diameter head of an Allen bolt is required. Or better yet...Torx-Plus......which blows away any internal males type bit on the market for strength. Google those ane check them out. Ray
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

X3. The stainless will be great for holding fenders and running boards on, holding the body on the pan maybe, and many other non-critical apps, but do NOT use them on any steering, suspension or axle retention applications. Prolly shouldn't use them in most tranny and engine mounting situations either...proper torquing can strain the soft threads and put you in a pinch sometime.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

modok wrote:

Back in the early 80's I washed cars for summer employment when i was in college.
I worked at a Datsun dealership, the summer before I had worked at an used car lot that sold American cars.
Datsun 310 a front wheel drive car was the first car I remember being light weight by design, not just by size.
All the hardware was smaller than VW hardware, and they used less of it.
The CV joints only had 3 bolts securing them to the drive flange, compared to VW's 6.
Compared to a Datsun 310, a Beetle was built like a battleship.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

It's slightly hard to find the 12mm head flange nuts
Search for "M8-1.25 JIS Flange Class 10 B1190"

if used with the big washers from bell metric they can even hold on the heads, so then you have the head nuts leftover, use those to hold on the rocker shafts.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Lightweight engine hardware Reply with quote

[quote="ach60"
Compared to a Datsun 310, a Beetle was built like a battleship.[/quote]

How many Datsun 310s are left now though Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: