Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey guys,

I was wondering what you think about the camber on the rear right wheel. Looks pretty bad huh!

I recently did some work to reduce wheel wobble, replacing the bearing housing, new bearings etc. Although I think that this camber problem is to do with blown our bushings. To be honest I've never worked on adjusting the camber - is this something that can just be adjusted, or is it likely to need new parts when I open it up?

There is a clicking noise coming from the rear and that is the main reason I am seeking advice today. The noise is only under power which leads me to think it is the CV joints.

I've scrolled the forum and tried the advice that I've found. The noise is only audible when driving straight, actually gets quieter turning either way. which is making it hard to know which side to tackle.

I've tried lifting each rear wheel off the ground and putting it in first gear as recommended but there was no noise on either side. I've tried injecting grease down the boots but that did nothing either.

Having trouble finding the CV joints locally and will have to travel to get them (in mexico) so I was just wondering if the noise could be attributed to something else or if it could be related to the camber mention above.

My instinct tells me no, as it only happens under power.

any advice appreciated
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Is there any freeplay or wobble when you jack up the rears? Up down, left right, in out?

Are your lug nuts tight?

Personally I think with that much of a camber issue you're probably straining that CV joint pretty hard. Might be the reason for the clicking you described.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

It looks like the bushing on the diagonal arm pivot split or got crushed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Part of the camber problem may be from replacing the bearing housing, the four bolts which hold the housing to the spring plate have some camber adjustment to them. The method of adjustment is in the Bentley manual.

It may be a case of a simple adjustment to bring it back into line.
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Did you torque the big nut? It might have worked loose and your brake drum splines might have stripped.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

My super high mileage Bus is the same way, I'm guessing the trailing arm bushing answer is correct (crushed ) if you can't get any play out of it jacked up. Clicking is CV, take it off, grease it up, re-insert (wait ..that sounded wrong) or ..maybe parking brake lever moving about in drum??
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

isn't this going to be the new owners problem, or are you fixing it before you give the bus away?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
isn't this going to be the new owners problem, or are you fixing it before you give the bus away?

Nah, just another offhand attempt to get the community to fund/donate for the repairs. Or even a way to get you to boost traffic to his site(s).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Nah, just another offhand attempt to get the community to fund/donate for the repairs. Or even a way to get you to boost traffic to his site(s).

That's some pretty ugly cynicism.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

He's got enough seat time & wrench time (unless it was all staged) in this rig to know the basic fundamentals to at the very least jack the vehicle up, check for play in the rear hub and or trailing arm or to see if it's a bent trailing arm. If not, then he should stay far away from a wrench and a vintage anything. This feigned noob question is just another attempt at getting some attention.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

right on. just checking, that's all. thought that was the case so thanks for the confirmation

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

right on. just checking, that's all. thought that was the case so thanks for the confirmation

Isn't that like saying.... Shouldn't you be bastardizing some pure unmolested stock cream puff with a Jap motor?

Or what has the site come to when a simple question is answered with tripe cynicism from the brow beating NAZI program?

Just saying is all. There is always another side to the coin dickheads. Sorry, I know Im an asshole.... bejesus did it again, Im sorry. Rolling Eyes

Look my post caused several more people than usual to look! Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Ben, try what the other posters have suggested. Loosen the torsion plate bolts and follow the Bentley procedure to gain as much positive camber as you can.

Check the bushing on that radius arm to see if it's worn out.

Question, When you changed the rear wheel bearing housing, did you get the rear aligned? I'm going to say no or they would have caught the negative camber and tried to get it adjusted out as much as possible. If you didn't, you need to get it checked. When you loosened up and removed the bearing housing, it will change not only your camber but also your toe in/out and tracking.

If it's off a fair amount, you will incur tire wear, poor handling and tracking. The bus won't go straight down the road in extreme examples.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Ben, try what the other posters have suggested. Loosen the torsion plate bolts and follow the Bentley procedure to gain as much positive camber as you can.

This adjustment affects toe in/out not camber.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Maybe you should get out your Bentley and do a little reading before posting?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

It does both though there's not a tremendous amount of camber to be gained there. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Isn't that like saying.... Shouldn't you be bastardizing some pure unmolested stock cream puff with a Jap motor?

yes....it's exactly like that. and you fine folks out there in sambaland are going to have a fucking stroke on my next build thread Very Happy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

yes....it's exactly like that. and you fine folks out there in sambaland are going to have a fucking stroke on my next build thread Very Happy

And Ill be the first one to tell the a-hole that makes a comment that any bus on the road is better than no bus Wink Reguardless of its shit welds, diesel motor or battery door Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

or battery door Laughing

pfft....battery doors are sooo 2014. battery corner hinged at the belt line is where it's at. and all this time I thought you were so in tune with what's hot Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

or battery door Laughing

pfft....battery doors are sooo 2014. battery corner hinged at the belt line is where it's at. and all this time I thought you were so in tune with what's hot Laughing

Be on the lookout for neon speed holes. Im putting my stock in those Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: