Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

hidude208 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

... because there's only one way to get out of a sticky situation when the right tools aren't available.

Keep playing stupid until everyone pays someone to do it for you? Rolling Eyes

Laughing

I keep up with all of ben's posts on the samba....not because there is a lot of value to me for working on my bus, not because he is entertaining, but because I love how much some of you hate him while still giving him advice, watching him ignore your advice for the most part, and trying to drum up more clicks on his videos.

TDCTDI, Abscate, Robbie.... keep up the good(and totally entertaining) work Laughing

This is so true! So much so that I pointed this out too I think in this thread? Or one of his other ones. Laughing LMAO!

Some good stuff over the years. Good work Ben. Try to catch me on a drinkin night - then I can add some drama. Razz

An antagonist is a character, group of characters, institution, or concept that stands in or represents opposition against which the protagonist(s) must contend. In other words, an antagonist is a person or a group of people who opposes a protagonist.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

I dont hate anyone on the Samba - except for Xevin - who brought me cold coffee in the morning.

...ok, and skills, because he won't work for free..

and...

(account terminated by Management)

Seriously, Im not into the video thing at all, if I want an experience, I will go live it rather than watch a video. If people want to watch videos for pay, Im fine with it - your choice. We don't let clickbait into the Fora I moderate just to keep our management load down, but EB is free to run Samba as he wants.

Gotta go - meals being served in FC...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I dont hate anyone on the Samba - except for Xevin - who brought me cold coffee in the morning.

...ok, and skills, because he won't work for free...

Next time you get a steamy hot cup of shut the hell up Laughing
I don't hate anyone on The Samba either. Not yet anyway. And I have met a bunch of you.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Nah, I don't hate Ben. While his posts & videos are an incessant catalog of "look at me" & "fund my lifestyle", he obviously has done a wonderful job of enchanting a large number of followers living vicariously through his exploits. I continue posting "how to" responses to his thinly disguised "send me money" posts in the hopes that some of those followers might glean some knowledge even if he is only going to have someone else fix it.

At 17, I lived out of my '72 highroof for three years & never once asked for money from anyone & sure as hell didn't have the resources of The Samba to keep my van running, & used John Muirs "How to keep your VW alive for the complete idiot" & my own enginuity to keep it mobile.

My biggest fear is that Bens' series will become the "Idiots guide" for sponges, leaches, & parasites the world over to descend upon what's left of the VW community.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

I think Ben's harmless and do get a kick out of his video's. He is living a life that many people fantasize about as they sit in their cubicles at work 9 hours a day in a job they hate. Many people have the "dream" to travel around the world, exploring without the stress and responsibilities of daily life. Only a small percentage of them would actually have the balls to do it in a well worn old VW bus, especially with such meager funds.

A lot of us on this site can jump in our mechanically refreshed buses and do the same thing with enough money to get there and back with plenty of reserves. Personally, it's not something I would want to do, even in my younger years. I'm fine watching his and other peoples video's of the good days and bad while traveling.

While I watch Ben's video's, I don't feel compelled to send him money to continue on with his travels. However, if Ben was in town and needed help working on his bus, I'd be glad to offer my garage, tools and my time to help him out.

As far as folks bagging on him for his lifestyle and or donations to fund it, you have a choice. Contribute to his exploits or not. There's enough negativity, hate and discord in life these days. Sometimes I wish folks would practice the old saying of "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

X2^^^^^ Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

WTF-ever! If you've lost enough self respect to ask for handouts every time you post a video, you sure as hell better have a thick enough hide on your ass to endure the occasional "get-a-Fn-job-you loser".

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

So the logic is if you produce entertainment content you must be ready to endure jackasses? As you say WTF-ever. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
So the logic is if you produce entertainment content you must be ready to endure jackasses? As you say WTF-ever. Cool

I think you missed the " ask for handouts" part, Tom

Those who use go-fund-me or its cousins do need to recognize they are panhandling, no more or less, and some react negatively to that, for better or worse.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

Those who use go-fund-me or its cousins do need to recognize they are panhandling, no more or less, and some react negatively to that, for better or worse.

No more no less than you paying for a movie ticket to see Wolverine. I don't think asking for $ for content is necessarily panhandling. Just merly the other side of the coin to your opinion. Why can't you think of Ben's exploits as a grassroots Universal Studio? When does content and $ merging become legitimate in your mind?

Asking for money because you crashed your bus and need a lawyer......yes thats gratuitous and uncalled for. Unless you are a social justice hero type. Rolling Eyes

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Abscate wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

No more no less than you paying for a movie ticket to see Wolverine. I don't think asking for $ for content is necessarily panhandling. Just merly the other side of the coin to your opinion. Why can't you think of Ben's exploits as a grassroots Universal Studio? When does content and $ merging become legitimate in your mind?

Asking for money because you crashed your bus and need a lawyer......yes thats gratuitous and uncalled for. Unless you are a social justice hero type. Rolling Eyes

As someone who has played and sang in dive bars for the last 40 yrs. I fully get it. As does Jason. I play rock and blues and jazz in western bars for oilfield workers and coal miners and all other kinds of folks. Only once has anyone ever been as rude to me as some of the folks here on the Samba. I put a tip jar out. I do it because when I didn't , people would come up and give me money unsoliciitedly and I had no place to put it. They told me to put a tip jar out. If they don't like my music they go to another bar. Panhandlers want money for nothing. They offer no entertainment content. Ben offers his for free and I would kill to have someone as good as he is editing my crummy live performance videos. If you don't like his content walk away, change the channel, leave the bar. Or be that obnoxious drunk who followed me around all night shouting at me that I was the worst guitar player he had ever heard......It comes with the territory, but it gets old fast.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

I don't mind Ben getting a few quid by offering videos end merchandise to support his dream. Don't even mind that silly couple with the coffe table book. Those coffee table book people only suck because they felt society jaded them and yet contributed nothing to society. Ben is honest in his pursuit of good times. I can get with that.

I only get on Ben for mechanical stuff and not replying to mechanical type post he can assist with. He claims to leave that info to more knowledgeable folks. But he has loads of experience. He knows twice what I know. Yet when I truly know a topic I try to help because so many have tried to help me. I work 50 hours a week, take care of two homes, married, explore different countries, and bus around. So his time working on content excuse doesn't work for me. I've met Ben twice and I do think Ben is a nice guy and his lady is fantastic. Maybe it's a millennial thing I can't understand.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
If you don't like his content walk away, change the channel, leave the bar. Or be that obnoxious drunk who followed me around all night shouting at me that I was the worst guitar player he had ever heard......It comes with the territory, but it gets old fast.

The bottom line is there's always going to be that very small percentage of people who are not happy w/their lives and are angry, bitter, rude and very insecure. They are the BIGGEST judgers of others yet they'd fail miserably if the same light was shined on them.

It doesn't take someone with a PHD in psychology to pick up on these folks in life and on forums like this.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

To be fair I think the whole idea of asking for $ comes off as rude to a whole lot of us. Abscate included as well as I.

TomWesty - when you have the jar out you don't ask, you let it happen organically. The gofundme fenom is definitely a younger generation idea I think we older guys that grew up on True Grit and Big Red 1 can't just pallet fully.

Remember when Rap, long hair heavy metal types, skateboarding, Punk, mullet wearing - Oakley blade having yuts were the end of the world?

We turned out fine. Well some of us did. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Abscate wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

I see Ben as an updated internet busker. You know at the end of the show he will put his hat out and ask for a contribution for him to continue his lifestyle and share his "talent/travels" with others. Many feel the show was worth a buck of two and donate, others just walk away.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

The breakdown of the movie analogy is that this is a forum of expertise and talent, not where people come to choose entertainment.

If panhandling remains acceptable here, you will lose some very good people because of this.
On our Volvo forum we can get our cars programmed over the Zinter et from Eastern Europe at 1/10 the dealer cost. That skill level doesn't want to come to his forum for cat videos
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The breakdown of the movie analogy is that this is a forum of expertise and talent, not where people come to choose entertainment.

If panhandling remains acceptable here, you will lose some very good people because of this.
On our Volvo forum we can get our cars programmed over the Zinter et from Eastern Europe at 1/10 the dealer cost. That skill level doesn't want to come to his forum for cat videos

People with trips and gofundme accounts represent a small fraction of what gets displayed in the forums.80% is technical with questions. Maybe the other 20% is fluff like feel good restorations, accessories and trips. Maybe 70-30. But its still majority greasy, repetitive techy stuff.

I think anyone can appreciate a little fluff now and then Laughing Most of anything I post is fluff on the find. Then application of the fluff Wink

I think Facebook in general poses more of a threat on posting info here than anything else. Soon we may just have to go to the Samba Facebook page thats been set up already because no one visits this old tech anymore.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

I'm back from La Paz and the mechanics.

Had the bad CV replaced with the one I bought previously and also replaced 2 more as they looked like they had a little wear, not much but a little. You know how it is, once they are out you might as well do them all. I kept one as it was in near perfect condition.

Here's a photo of the bad one that was causing the clicking - not so bad after all - not great but I have had worse.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Replaced all 4 boots too, might as well.

For your interest and comparison with your local shops. The total cost was:

Labor: 800 Pesos ($40)
3 CVs, 4 boot - 2290 pesos ( $115)
- all parts made in Mexico.

As for the other BS that has stirred up since I've been offline. I'm not adding fuel to this tired conversation, but I will say thank you to those of you who were kind enough to offer a counter argument to the panhandler comments.

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks for your help and advice with this thread. So, as always - thank you!
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Yeah it was getting deep with all that serious thinking going on. Need to open the window and let some fresh air in Laughing

I tell you what though its that kind of opinion sharing I really dig about this site. The diversity of opinion to me is a great thing and is fun to sare. Convincing someone of your opinion is the tricky part and poses it own kind of entertainment. In the end I know we could all sit around a fire and drink (fill in your flavor here) Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
hidude208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Yeah it was getting deep with all that serious thinking going on. Need to open the window and let some fresh air in Laughing

I tell you what though its that kind of opinion sharing I really dig about this site. The diversity of opinion to me is a great thing and is fun to sare. Convincing someone of your opinion is the tricky part and poses it own kind of entertainment. In the end I know we could all sit around a fire and drink (fill in your flavor here) Cool

Jason, I hope to run into you one of these days when my bus is in traveling shape and have a beer or six. You seem like a genuinely cool dude Cool

Ben, thanks for sharing the details of your costs of repair down there. That is something I always find very interesting! Glad you're back out rolling on the road!

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-37955.htm

SGKent wrote:
it is called rust. You either cut pieces off a donor or make the parts. Welcome to owning a VW
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: