Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Right on. Im sure up for that. You may get the chance, I want to take the bus to Little Bighorn with one of my kids. Do some camping up through the HWY 2 area coming and going this Summer in June.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

I ended up getting the suspension and steering fixed in the shop also on your advice. There is still a tiny bit of work that needs doing but it is much better.

The bus and I were in the shop for 3 days. It cost $350 including machine shop work to get new bushings made for the king pins.

Parts are usually about 20% more expensive down here, but sometimes they are cheaper than the mail order places in the US too.

Thought you'd be interested to know.
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

How's the search for new travel vehicle going- Question Are you sticking with VW air cooled or going all modern on us?

Glad you got that front end attended to- heard from PNO's yet?

Loving the new vied's by the way - and making great use of the drone.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Very fair price for the work, good on you for turning over the Bus in safe condition. Have you left U-tube since the axe fell on payments? Seems like that will make travel harder for content providers like your self?
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Very fair price for the work, good on you for turning over the Bus in safe condition. Have you left U-tube since the axe fell on payments? Seems like that will make travel harder for content providers like your self?

It certainly isn't good news for creators, today we earnt a cool $15 from YT, which is better than a slap in the face, but when you consider the two of us have been working since 8am today it doesn't really cut it, even in Mexico Laughing We're currently trying to figure out how we will be able to keep the series going - without selling out too much.

williamM wrote:
How's the search for new travel vehicle going- Question Are you sticking with VW air cooled or going all modern on us? .

Still working on it. Still a little stressed about it. The time we have left with our Kombi is now measured in weeks not months. definitely sticking VW, aircooled I'd say 70% chance at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy few more ads and Patrons- you'll do OK- what are the chances of a USA work permit. Not much competition for VW repairman, or vid editors.- I have a nephew in the business. Wink

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
without selling out too much.

Why not? This is exactly what you need to do. Find as many corporate sponsors as you can & sell ad space on the side of the bus. Sticker that bitch up like a NASCAR car. Get sponsorship from any & every item that you use & consume (from your drone to your foot wear to your camping equipment.). You can even provide longevity testing (as long as it isn't an engine). Figure out whose computer you want & give them product placement rights in return for their product (& subsequent replacements).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:
without selling out too much.

Why not? This is exactly what you need to do. Find as many corporate sponsors as you can & sell ad space on the side of the bus. Sticker that bitch up like a NASCAR car. Get sponsorship from any & every item that you use & consume (from your drone to your foot wear to your camping equipment.). You can even provide longevity testing (as long as it isn't an engine). Figure out whose computer you want & give them product placement rights in return for their product (& subsequent replacements).

I know right? What are you worried about? Some asshole on the samba calling you a sell out? I agree. If you are going to wear a mink coat, then get the prada bag and pearls. Wink Bont be a pussy, own it. Cool

Skilz would Rolling Eyes Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
what are the chances of a USA work permit.

not likely.

We just lost a deal worth 4 X more than we've earnt all year (for about 10% of the work) because we couldn't get the correct visa to work in the US. - it was a big loss for us.

you guys are right, we should partner with more brands that we are already endorsing. We get multiple offers a week asking us to endorse and review products for anything from hundreds to thousands of dollars at a time, but we reject 99.9% of them to keep our content as genuine as possible.

If we are going to make sponsored content, I'd rather it was about products that we use and that our audience would be interested in hearing about.

"Artists don't usually fail because of bad art, they fail because of bad business"
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

It's ironic that they won't issue a work visa to those that wish to respect the laws go through the process the correct way, I applaud you for respecting the laws, I'm sorry for this stumbling block, but thank you.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
williamM wrote:

not likely.

We just lost a deal worth 4 X more than we've earnt all year (for about 10% of the work) because we couldn't get the correct visa to work in the US. - it was a big loss for us.

you guys are right, we should partner with more brands that we are already endorsing. We get multiple offers a week asking us to endorse and review products for anything from hundreds to thousands of dollars at a time, but we reject 99.9% of them to keep our content as genuine as possible.

If we are going to make sponsored content, I'd rather it was about products that we use and that our audience would be interested in hearing about.

"Artists don't usually fail because of bad art, they fail because of bad business"

Ben,

The last thing you should care about is what others think. People are viewing your video's as an escape from their daily grind while they stare at computers in their cubicle at a job they hate. They fantasize about being in your situation, cruising around, exploring, carefree lifestyle, etc..

I don't think anyone would care if you supplement your funding with endorsements or advertising. Ok, some would bitch like they do about your donation seeking to pay for the video series but... who cares.. !

You're still young and you will learn that even the nicest, kindest and genuine people have haters.. You'll also learn that life is a lot happier when you stop caring what everybody thinks of you.

The vast majority of people enjoy your series and don't giving a flying hoot how it's funded. For those that spew all their negativity and nastiness, feel sorry for them as they are clearly unhappy, miserable people.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Just make an "endorsement- or not-" video. That way- we can watch it or not- Here in Az, they used to sell dust- to filter manufacturers.- Hell- I'd like to know about air filters- How about --"are Russian wheel bearings better than German ones?" Aught to be a $ in that one some where.

Lets face it- Your a travel vid guy- Everybody wants to know what works- and more important- what doesn't.-

write up a form letter telling where you've been and how many followers you have and send it to all the sporting manufacturers and chain store. Offer an assessment/advertisement endorsement (see nascar)

Then have a video yard sale of the stuff they send you after the show-

Don't step in any!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

I agree with Bill. Grab all the sponsors you can. Who cares. You're giving free content. I don't bitch about free apps I use that have banners/ads to keep the product going.

Let's put it in terms you can relate to Wink Sponsorship didn't stop a few billion people from watching this Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

^^^I never saw that Confused Laughing

You did the first travel free and clear. Its accomplished and under your belt. Do this second one with all the aid you can get. Why not?

Its not selling out, its just doing it different this time.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
^^^I never saw that Confused Laughing

It's this game called soccer, football, or Footy. The teams all have sponsors on their jerseys or kits instead of a team name or city. I understand this game is very popular around the world. Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
williamM wrote:

not likely.

Have you heard of Brosciencelife? He recently started doing more endorsements, but makes sure he has artistic freedom in how he promotes. It may help it feel more ok. Check out some of his content.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Hopefully we will be able to find the right sponsors to work with and make a new series happen. Watch this space.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Bend a little in your artistic standard, take corporate cash (you know: lots of sanitized videos showing wide angle shots of the dog in a cute hat with product placement) for a short run of episodes, all the while filming the good stuff (hippie checks,beer,drop out life) for later distribution. It is very difficult for advertising dollars to reach an effective audience these days. It is win/win for all involved. Even Tool sold out to make a record....Authenticity is Jungian archetype more than a reality in the digital age.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

So, page 7... did the wheel fall off or not?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Words of wisdom from Pee Wee Herman...

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: