Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

You can also use the hammer & chisel to peen the outer edges of the CV bolts to give the vicegrips an area to bite into.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

I also had a pair of vise-grips slip on a CV bolt once, but the combination of vise-grips AND the (mostly stripped out) hex bit worked enough to break it free.

You could also grind down two opposing sides of the bolt to get much more surface area free.

KentPS also had these amazing Channel-Lock brand pliers that could break rusted hardware free that I couldn't get with any wrench. I do not know why they worked so much better than anything else:

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-410-8-Inch-Capacity-2-Inch/dp/B000189GQK

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I also had a pair of vise-grips slip on a CV bolt once, but the combination of vise-grips AND the (mostly stripped out) hex bit worked enough to break it free.

You could also grind down two opposing sides of the bolt to get much more surface area free.

KentPS also had these amazing Channel-Lock brand pliers that could break rusted hardware free that I couldn't get with any wrench. I do not know why they worked so much better than anything else:

Good luck!

+1 on those channel lock pliars - those things are amazing!
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Good luck!

+1 on those channel lock pliars - those things are amazing!

Don't know if it would work the same as the mini channel-lock above, but I have used a mini pipe wrench in the past and it worked great
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear if you think that tool is better than vice grips for this type of task?

I'm heading to a VW Mechanic to get some help with the CVs. I have 100 miles to drive with holes in the boots.

Do you think that the CVs will make it without significant damage? Grease is already starting to fly out of the boots.
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Duct tape or a plastic bag/duct tape will keep crap out of the joints. Thats more important than keeping grease in.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
I'd be interested to hear if you think that tool is better than vice grips for this type of task?

Unless it's already stripped, the proper tool for the fastener is always better than Vicegrips.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Duct tape or a plastic bag/duct tape will keep crap out of the joints. Thats more important than keeping grease in.

Yes.. duct tape. Make sure you tape it around the axle in the direction where the wind does not unwind the tape.
I on my bug and never replaced the boot. It is a perfect fix. That was in the nineties. It might have been before you were born. I should probably add more tape.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I should probably add more tape.

Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Yes.. duct tape. Make sure you tape it around the axle in the direction where the wind does not unwind the tape.
I on my bug and never replaced the boot. It is a perfect fix. That was in the nineties. It might have been before you were born. I should probably add more tape.

Just tie it off with the spool from an 8 track of the Doobie Brothers
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Back to the bolt for a minute-- Try some 80 grit wet n dry round the bolt and tight vice grips- sometimes that will do the extra grip it needs to come loose- and tap gently with BFH to shake it a little- last resort is a mini torch with hammer and vice grips- finally - die grind the head off and most will be finger tight upon removal of the joint.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:

Unless it's already stripped, the proper tool for the fastener is always better than Vicegrips.

I think we learned this a few pages ago. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

That channel lock has a huge mechanical advantage as well as being made of good steel. That's why they are 5x the cost of the HF ones
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:

HastaAlaska wrote:
you'd think wouldn't you!

But then he pops up with this.
HastaAlaska wrote:

Thanks - I did try this method but am holding off messing up the teeth on the bolt on the slim chance than there might be someone with the correct 12point bit to get the bolt out.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:

HastaAlaska wrote:

Thanks - I did try this method but am holding off messing up the teeth on the bolt on the slim chance than there might be someone with the correct 12point bit to get the bolt out.

HastaAlaska wrote:
I say suspected because I wasn't able to finish the job as two of the bolts wont come out (Stripped)

Keep playing the game it's fun I love when threads go on and on because there's only one way to get out of a sticky situation when the right tools aren't available.

Seriously though, some of the mechanical punts I've kicked in sticky situations would make professional mechanics shit themselves. But that's why I drive my bus everywhere and they don't…

Robbie
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
you'd think wouldn't you!

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

... because there's only one way to get out of a sticky situation when the right tools aren't available.

Keep playing stupid until everyone pays someone to do it for you? Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

You've got 24 bolts on your CVs and that's 48 uses of the correct tool to lube them properly. Using anything but the correct tool here is causing your own malaise. On a prolonged trip, you would also carry a spare set of 6 new bolts and replace any heads that look weak.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You've got 24 bolts on your CVs and that's 48 uses of the correct tool to lube them properly. Using anything but the correct tool here is causing your own malaise. On a prolonged trip, you would also carry a spare set of 6 new bolts and replace any heads that look weak.

Also a good reason to carry a spare of that same tool, just in case you wear it out, shear it off, or lose it in the dirt.

hidude208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Is my wheel going to fall off (bad Camber and clicking noise) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

... because there's only one way to get out of a sticky situation when the right tools aren't available.

Keep playing stupid until everyone pays someone to do it for you? Rolling Eyes

Laughing

I keep up with all of ben's posts on the samba....not because there is a lot of value to me for working on my bus, not because he is entertaining, but because I love how much some of you hate him while still giving him advice, watching him ignore your advice for the most part, and trying to drum up more clicks on his videos.

TDCTDI, Abscate, Robbie.... keep up the good(and totally entertaining) work Laughing

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-37955.htm

SGKent wrote:
it is called rust. You either cut pieces off a donor or make the parts. Welcome to owning a VW
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: