Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkeyser1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

Hello - I am working on my first bug (1960) with the body off and wanting to get the pans media blasted. I have removed the beam/suspension on the front and the trans/transaxle/suspension on the rear. What prep do I need to do on the pans before having them blasted? Specifically, I want to minimize the amount of media getting into places I don't want it. I worry about the tunnel and sand getting in there. What is the best method of plugging the openings in the tunnel? Some of the openings are round where a grommet would work but others are odd shaped so a plug is not available. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

tape up what you can. I didnt have any problem emptying out my tunnel. Tip it each way and lots of compressed air blown in from every angle.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
volksbug70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

I too plan on blasting my chassis very soon! My brother and I have it torn down pretty good so far.

I have some additional comments and questions that I think are worth contributing to this discussion:

I actually want to blast inside the tunnel. There is some rust in there around the front of the chassis (where the pedal assembly bolts up), but it is not rusted completely through. I plan to blast it and do my best to protect and paint it in there afterward. I will probably have to get creative. Luckily, the area of rust is isolated and not all the way down the tunnel. Anybody care to comment on their experience with the tunnel?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My main concern is around the spring plates. I will be rebuilding them (at least taking them out and replacing the bushings, and the diagonal arm bushings). The question is, do I blast them first, then disassemble and rebuild? Do I disassemble, blast, and then rebuild? (covering the holes in absence of the spring plates) Or do I disassemble, rebuild, and then blast?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

It will take hours to clean out all of the media when you are done. Hours.

It took 4 or 5 hours with a wire wheel on a grinder and a wire brush by hand in the tight spots to get me to bare metal all over on this one.

I applied Ospho all over to convert any residual rust. Primed and painted with Rustoleum after pans installed. Even this is way more than the factory ever did.

I would wet inside the tunnel with Ospho and then go on to something more important. You can paint inside if you want to.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Hope your day is going smoothly. Question, so I'm going to be media blasting my chassis w/ play sand. Is this too much crap build up or will the sand eat through it? Thanks

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN BLASTING WITH PLAY SAND.
Inhaling the dust can cause lung damage (Look up Silicosis). Make sure you wear a quality respirator and do it outside. Crushed bottle glass is a good alternative to sand but is more expensive. Aluminum oxide is also an effective choice.

CDC information
https://www.cdc.gov/features/preventing-silicosis/index.html

Risks of using play sand
https://pittsburghsprayequip.com/blogs/pittsburgh-...uggestions

Mixed results
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/play-sand-for-blasting-use.300470/

Sand can cut through paint, rust, and any thin hard substance or coating. It will however struggle to cut rubbery coatings (glue), factory rustproofing in the wheel wells, and seam sealer. Use a torch and scraper for the rustproofing and seam sealer.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

Thanks for the response! The first two time i blasted media, my lugs took an impact so now i use a respirator, gloves, googles, long sleeves, and ear plugs. Sounds funny to some but if its what keeps me safe i dont care.

It looks like before using play sand, i should sift it, and make sure it's dry.

I will remove for of the gunk, this is what i found out yesterday, using black beauty mix from summit,

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

You can get 80 lb bags of black beauty for under $50 from McMaster-Carr industrial supply. Do yourself a favor and stay away from using play sand for something that large. Put out a huge tarp to reclaim and reuse it if you feel the need.
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

This is the material I use when blasting. I always use respirator, ear plugs, goggles, gloves.

Black Diamond fine coal slag. $9.99 for 50 LBS
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/black-diamond-fine-blasting-abrasives?cm_vc=-10011
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

Dibaltic wrote:
This is the material I use when blasting. I always use respirator, ear plugs, goggles, gloves.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/black-diamond-fine-blasting-abrasives?cm_vc=-10011

This looks like a good option. How many bags do you reckon I need?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Dibaltic wrote:

This looks like a good option. How many bags do you reckon I need?

I'm not sure. I have never reused it once I run it through the pressure pot. If you're just doing the pan and not reusing it I'd guess three or four bags.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
misterh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

Dibaltic wrote:

That's what I use. It works well and it's cheap.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

I built an enclosure out of PVC pipe and plastic sheeting. It cost me about $200 but I was able to reclaim the glass bead media and get away with two 50 Lbs. bags. I blasted my entire pan and about 1/2 of the body on my convertible Ghia.

The enclosure will also serve as a paint booth so I spread the cost out.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Floorpan Prep for Media Blasting Reply with quote

misterh wrote:
Dibaltic wrote:

That's what I use. It works well and it's cheap.

I've used something similar it works great but has to be sifted through a window screen. The bigger bits can clog in the nozzle.

Commercial grade fine sand works the best for me. And as said before. always wear a respirator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: