Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

this is a request of what to check an how.

while fixing what turned out to be a switch issue https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10075722#10075722

I noticed the supply wires to the fuses are hot. The 25A fuse that powers the evap blower was so hot it melted the fuse holder. the wire from the battery+ terminal is also hot on the battery side.

I've learned that voltage drop is a thing on starter issues so I tested and I see a bit of a voltage drop between battery and fuse(s).

Thinking a new/bigger wire between there may be a solution...But then I'm thinking it was spec'd that way by VW ad they typically do a design job good job, maybe it's the blowers or resistors that I may want to check for resistance or something.

the Evap blower relay (the left one in the schematic) gets hot. the load wires in/out of it are hot.

the radiator blower relay doesn't get hot. only the incoming load wire is hot, not the outgoing.

I've tried different relays and get eh same behavior.

What kinds of tests could be most fruitful at this point?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

Post some photos of the AC. Specifically the evaporator. What year is the Vanag
on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

From the web:
"If the fuse itself has not blown, but the fuse holder melted, it indicates that the fuse holder was making poor contact with the fuse. Loose connections are common with poor quality fuse holders."
Rear discs
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

xflyer wrote:
Post some photos of the AC. Specifically the evaporator. What year is the Vanag
on?

83.5 Westy

how would Evap pics help?

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

space wrote:
From the web:
"If the fuse itself has not blown, but the fuse holder melted, it indicates that the fuse holder was making poor contact with the fuse. Loose connections are common with poor quality fuse holders."

I disassembled said OEM fuse holder and connected fuse directly to terminals.

Fuse and wires less hot but hot still before and after fuse. I am thinking the "less hot" is a result of loss of mass of the fuse holder rather than any improvement.

xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

Photo will show which maker of AC you have. I had a 78 pop top with AC. Was either DPD or VPC, not important in that case. Had chronic trouble with main AC fuse getting hot and failing until followed a suggestion to replace the fuse and its holder with a circuit breaker. As used on American cars. No problems after that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
space wrote:
From the web:

I disassembled said OEM fuse holder and connected fuse directly to terminals.

Fuse and wires less hot but hot still before and after fuse. I am thinking the "less hot" is a result of loss of mass of the fuse holder rather than any improvement.

check your amperage pre and post fuse
Rear discs
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

xflyer wrote:
Photo will show which maker of AC you have. I had a 78 pop top with AC. Was either DPD or VPC, not important in that case. Had chronic trouble with main AC fuse getting hot and failing until followed a suggestion to replace the fuse and its holder with a circuit breaker. As used on American cars. No problems after that.

what is best to take picture of to determine the DPD or VPC ? mine says from Dallas Texas. Some pics from when I had it apart last. now it is in a cabinet so not sure what could be seen.

re: circuit breaker - can you share a link or image what one is looking for?

xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

Is the evaporator above the rear seat/bed?
Think you should try the circuit breaker in place of the fuse. On my 89 which has "VW Factory" AC the main fuse, 50 amp metal strip type in the left rear pillar, got hot enough over time to melt the plastic on the fuse/relay panel it was mounted to. Replaced it with a fuse holder I found at the FLAPS and a larger version of the typical plug in, two prong fuse. That has worked well for 20 yrs. Others have reported that same problem. VW probably thinks its OK as it lasted over 12 yrs till failure.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/littelfuse/li...&pos=6
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

Do NOT assume VW over designed any wire on your Van!

I'm here to tell you that they did not and that they "cheaped out" as much as possible on wire size and design!

There is often massive room for improvement using increased wire size and relays.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

The AC in question is not a VW design. Its a USA made aftermarket kit. Sometimes dealer installed or farmed out to an AC shop. Those fuseholders in the photos are notorious for poor connections over time.
Also installing a relay in the engine compartment, for the compressor clutch can take some of the electrical load off the wiring. It takes about 1/2 amp to close the typical relay. The clutch draws a lot more than that. Consider the length of the wiring from the front back to the compressor.
https://www.busdepot.com/141951253b

Or use this kit: https://www.busdepot.com/wr1
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

space wrote:

They are the same pre/post fuse on both the rad and evap fuses

Here are the amps at various points. the similar colors shoudl total but there seems to be some fluctuations depending on timing.

The evap relay especially gets hot. I've switched out relays and its the same

link if you want to see the current spread sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gQ9XSC1s_7NXrq6SY1RIFugBFD0DzYnxKCzagzALXAg/edit?usp=sharing

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

xflyer wrote:
Is the evaporator above the rear seat/bed?

yes

xflyer wrote:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/littelfuse/li...&pos=6

thanks , now that I know what I'm looking for I think I have some of these. and looks like they are available at the 20a and 25a rating for these circuits.

...though I don't know how this would help with hot wires.

xflyer wrote:
Replaced it with a fuse holder I found at the FLAPS and a larger version of the typical plug in, two prong fuse. That has worked well for 20 yrs.

What had you stay with a fuse instead of installing a circuit breaker?

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

xflyer wrote:
Also installing a relay in the engine compartment, for the compressor clutch can take some of the electrical load off the wiring. It takes about 1/2 amp to close the typical relay. The clutch draws a lot more than that. Consider the length of the wiring from the front back to the compressor.

These are 2.4a in the wire that activates the AC clutch. measurement taken at AC compressor

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

thank you @jimf909 for suggesting this DC Amp meter I just got a couple days ago. Smile that makes these readings possible Shocked

from this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10072354#10072354

jimf909 wrote:
Here's a good amp clamp that was recommended in the luxury tools threads. It's important that it reads down to milliamps to teak these down.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0188WD1NE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
space wrote:

They are the same pre/post fuse on both the rad and evap fuses

Here are the amps at various points. the similar colors shoudl total but there seems to be some fluctuations depending on timing.

The evap relay especially gets hot. I've switched out relays and its the same

link if you want to see the current spread sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gQ9XSC1s_7NXrq6SY1RIFugBFD0DzYnxKCzagzALXAg/edit?usp=sharing

Based on your amp readings wire size should be a #12awg
Im not sure u have a problem as the readings are within spec
For your own peace of mind I would upsize the wire to 12awg if its not already
T
Rear discs

Last edited by space on Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

" 2.4a in the wire that activates the AC clutch. measurement taken at AC compressor"
What might be difficult to measure is the initial pull in amp draw when the clutch engages. Depending on ambient temp, the clutch could engage and disengage every few minutes. That's some load that can be taken off the wiring and fuse(s) with a relay.
And, as I mentioned, those molded fuse holders in the photos are notorious for poor connections. That means resistance which turns the circuit into a heater. Cut the wires, either side of the fuse holder. Crimp on the appropriate connector for the circuit breaker and hook it into place.
Also what I mentioned about the AC on the 78 keeps coming back in my mind. There was constant trouble with the fuse that was part of the original installation. Fuse would get hot and cause the fuseholder contacts to get weak. That meant more resistance and more heat until the fuse itself failed. I was quite skeptical when the suggestion came about the circuit breaker. Since the breaker was (is) not expensive, I gave it a try. As mentioned the AC worked fine for 10 yrs after that till I sold the van.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

xflyer wrote:
" 2.4a in the wire that activates the AC clutch. measurement taken at AC compressor"
What might be difficult to measure is the initial pull in amp draw when the clutch engages. Depending on ambient temp, the clutch could engage and disengage every few minutes. That's some load that can be taken off the wiring and fuse(s) with a relay.

the clutch part of the circuit does not have issues.

the biggest issue is the 25A evap fan circuit. that one has hot wires from before the fuse and after onto and after the relay (the rest of the wire is in a wiring harness) AND the relay gets really hot.

This is why I am wondering what test might be good for that one since it has the motor and it has resistors for the different fan speeds.

the next issue is the rad fan which has hot wires before and after the fuse and on the in side of the relay. the relay nor the wire after is hot.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

space wrote:
Based on your amp readings wire size should be a #12awg

Im not sure u have a problem as the readings are within spec
For your own piece of mind I would upsize the wire to 12awg if its not already
T

the wire looks thick and if the schematic represents real world it indicates 4.0mm which is like 6 awg https://www.carreracasting.com/charts/wire-gauge

4mm is a bit over 1/8" and the bare wire at the crimps look that big.

....and its still getting hot.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12v+ supply wire is Hot (temperature) - Early AC Reply with quote

Does those clamp multi meters work with DC current?

Let me know if you need some data points. It might be next weekend until I get my system put back together.

Maybe your fan is going out and pulling a large draw to compensate. I hope that isn't the case because I can't find them anywhere online.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: