Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What type Judson is this?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
socalsean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: What type Judson is this? Reply with quote

A friend of mine was cleaning out his garage and gave this to me about about 18 years ago. He said it was for a 40hp but wasn't certain. The pulley that came with it (for the blower) uses two belts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this for a 36 or a 40? If the ID tag is useless to answer this question what can I measure on the blower itself to determine it's application? Thanks in advance.

sean
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What type Judson is this? Reply with quote

2 belts = 36hp pulley
'73 Sunroof Transporter
socalsean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: What type Judson is this? Reply with quote

Steve22 wrote:
2 belts = 36hp pulley

Thanks for the reply. My only concern is that the pulley may not be the correct one for the blower as everything was taken apart and tossed in a box when I received it.

What other type of identification can be used to make sure it is indeed for a 36hp?

sean
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What type Judson is this? Reply with quote

The Judson Register (or at least the info from it) should be in the archives section above. If memory serves, then the VW2 is the 40 horse model.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
socalsean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What type Judson is this? Reply with quote

Steve22 wrote:
The Judson Register (or at least the info from it) should be in the archives section above. If memory serves, then the VW2 is the 40 horse model.

Thanks again. I've browsed through that archive but didn't find anything to answer my question. I will go back and read through everything.

sean
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: What type Judson is this? Reply with quote

socalsean wrote:
Steve22 wrote:

Thanks again. I've browsed through that archive but didn't find anything to answer my question. I will go back and read through everything.

sean

If the label has "VW" on it the blower will be a 36hp.

It wasn't until the 40hp version arrived (designated "VWII" on the ID label) that the 36hp label was changed to read "VWI"

Even without the blower pulley you can tell which blower version you have. Turn it upside down and measure from the centre of the outlet port to the front plate and from the centre of the outlet port to the back plate. If they are the same (ie centred) then you have the 36hp blower. If it is shorter to the back plate than the front you have the 40hp version.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: