Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outrigger canoe rack...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Outrigger canoe rack... Reply with quote

Ran into gentleman at the grocery store with this interesting outrigger canoe rack on his van. It's bolted to the top of the van. Possible inspiration folks here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Outrigger canoe rack... Reply with quote

Technically that is illegal as the rack or canoe extends out further than the side view mirrors- according to the local kayak rack shop owner. Actually looking at it again it may not stick out beyond the mirrors. Its all in the angle or view of your local state trooper.

Ain't gonna stop me tho! That's where I'm going.

Then he pointed me to these.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/1575/Talic-Kay...fgod-RMNFQ

There is another versions that fold flat sideways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Outrigger canoe rack... Reply with quote

I wouldn't go for something like that hanging off the side. Just risky catching it on something. But I will admit on a tall Sprinter it's handy.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Outrigger canoe rack... Reply with quote

I don't get how he holds a canoe with those. A telephone pole, yes. Edit: Ah - that holds the outrigger only. OK.

So, I've used over long rooftop crossbars that stuck out 8-10" I bought purposely long to add extra stuff up there. I'd rather do that than have those hooks. I will admit that when parking in a small town with lots of road crown the bar ends were a hazard and I hung yellow tape from them to warn passersby. This was Banff, and I figured the tourists there are a level below the norm, so I'd better warn people.....

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: