Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

I kid you not, all the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage over winter!
So I pushed it out of the garage, clean up the quarts of Oil on the garage floor,
and spent a goodly amount of time looking for the leak.
Valve covers where not leaking, drain plate not leaking, pressure relief plugs not leaking, no visual leak from pushrod tubes.
You'd think leaking out 2 quarts of Oil would leave a mark on the engine somewhere but I haven't found.
I'd like to find the leak before pulling the motor next week, as anybody had this happen to them?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

Put more oil in, start it up and watch. If no leaks, place a piece of cardboard under the engine and check it out the next day.

My guess is the sump plate.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

I drove from California to Texas once. When I hit Palm Springs the oil light flickered then came on solid. Pulled over oil drained out. Had dinner, while wondering what to do. Filled it back up started it up and no more leaks.

After 5 minutes of idling we drove off, keeping an eye on the oil light. Made it to Houston and not a drop was lost.

Fill it and keep an eye for leaks.

Good luck
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

Waldo sometimes hides in those leaks. Just keep an eye on it and check the fluid level before you start. A piece of cardboard is nice to keep below it as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

eashc wrote:
I drove from California to Texas once. When I hit Palm Springs the oil light flickered then came on solid. Pulled over oil drained out. Had dinner, while wondering what to do. Filled it back up started it up and no more leaks.

After 5 minutes of idling we drove off, keeping an eye on the oil light. Made it to Houston and not a drop was lost.

Good luck

this is an amazing post

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Waldo sometimes hides in those leaks. Just keep an eye on it and check the fluid level before you start. A piece of cardboard is nice to keep below it as well.

My next step is to remove sled tins, fill it, and see what happens where it happens on the cardboard.
Seems silly I can't find this leak yet.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

The 2qts needed to reach the FULL mark on the dip stick is not enough to reach the valve covers. The rocker valley and the pushrod tubes fill when the engine is running, but should drain once the engine is stopped. Actually running the engine will nearly drain the crank case of all oil. While running, most of the oil is moving around the engine. Since your problem happened while it was sitting you should refill the engine and let it sit. Unless your case is cracked (in which case it could be leaking from ANYWHERE) you want to focus on the case split below the camshaft/oil pump line and around the drain plate. These are the common leak spots. It wouldn't take a large leak at the case split or drain plate to empty your engine over the course of the entire Winter season. More than a few drops a day at the bottom of the case might just do it.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

Tom Butler wrote:
eashc wrote:

Good luck

this is an amazing post

Indeed.
It makes one wonder what he had for dinner, doesn't it?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
My next step is to remove sled tins, fill it, and see what happens where it happens on the cardboard.
Seems silly I can't find this leak yet.

Too much work, cut some cardboard and slide in above the tins. Write a note and place on driver seat so you don't forget that you did this.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Tom Butler wrote:
eashc wrote:

Good luck

this is an amazing post

Indeed.

Perhaps he ate Schrodinger's Cat?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: All the Oil Leaked out while It was sitting in garage! Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Tom Butler wrote:
eashc wrote:

Good luck

this is an amazing post

Indeed.

Perhaps he ate Schrodinger's Cat?

Laughing

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: