Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

measurement needed from door post to door post
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: measurement needed from door post to door post Reply with quote

I have a 53 beetle and the bottom of the door pillars on the strike side is rusted free on both side. I want to remove the body off the pan but before I do I would like to know the measurement from the inside of the drivers door pillar to passengers door pillar so I can weld a piece of bar across and it will be the right width
Thank you
57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BotanyBandit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: measurement needed from door post to door post Reply with quote

When i replaced the heater channels in my bug, I left the body on the chassis and checked my door gap and general fitment to make sure the pillars were in the correct location. Then, once i was sure that my body was where it should be, I welded a bar from pillar to pillar to ensure that when the body was removed the measurement wouldn't change. Also I used some steel square tubing to weld a removable jig that screwed into the striker plate and hinge plates to maintain the front to rear gap. Once it was all braced and locked into place I was able to cut out both heater channels and some of the pillars and replace them and my measurements were spot on once fitted. Word of caution though. If your bug is soo crusty that the pillars need replaced, your hinge plates may be loose and cause the doors to sag a lot. I know its not a measurement, but I had good luck with that strategy. Good luck!
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: measurement needed from door post to door post Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. My hinge side posts are solid. My issue is the bottoms of the strike side are rusted free and just floating so I don't know if they are spread apart more then they should be. This is the reason I need the measurement so I can cut a piece of steel to the correct length to insure they are the correct width apart
57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: measurement needed from door post to door post Reply with quote

The best option for you is to hang the doors. Leave the body on the chassis. Make sure there is weight in the car to replicate engine, trim, driver, fuel, glass etc. Close the doors so they latch. Once latched weld a bar across the door aperture to hold things in position. This will be your start point.
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: