Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

*Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

Thanks Greg, I saw this in your thread. Your bus is coming along nicely!
For installation simplicity I think I'm going to go with some of the flexible elastomeric closed cell foam stuff.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
Interesting stuff...

I have been looking for a source of the 3M acoustic thinsulate to put in my bus. Just for the acoustics, although I wonder if it would keep my bus cooler in the summer. That's beside the point.
What I am wondering is, have you found a source for the 3M stuff through a jobber outlet, or are you looking at amazon, Ebay and the likes?

And, my $.02....if it is a camper and stock motor, I would buy the lightest insulation possible.

Gordo.

I have only seen it for sale on eBay. There a guy who has posted on several forums that is the re-seller of the stuff. His name is Hein or something like that.

--1966 De Luxe Camper
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

You could check out the "spaceloft" gel insulation by Aspen aerogels - comes in 57" wide rolls. No idea on cost. R value of R=1 per 0.1" thick, so the 0.4" thick product would be around R=4, which is about as good as it gets. FYI It is not a gel and is moisture and mold proof.

Nothing in the literature says it's applicable to automobiles, but it does say it remains effective up to 390 degrees. These products were developed for NASA (just like the bubblefoil insulation)

http://www.aerogel.com/products-and-solutions/all-insulation-products/

http://inhabitat.com/exciting-advances-in-insulation-with-aerogel/

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

FWIW, it looks like the thinner (0.24" thick, R=2.4) spaceloft is about $4/SF on ebay (about $0.50 more per SF over 3M thinsulate).

EDIT: I emailed their company and they sell the 0.4" (R-4) product direct for $5/SF+shipping, no minimum order. They also said that this material would work well in automobile/RV applications.

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the Aerogel info! Been looking for that off and on for a long time since seeing a video on tiny houses that were shown on the Washington DC mall grounds. One structure had Aerogel between panes of glass to make a insulated wall that allowed plenty of light thru.

With a layer of bubble wrap (reflects heat back outward) on the outward side of the Aerogel should do the trick in our Buses.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

I'm not sure any other product would be needed if you went with the aerogel - it looks like it insulates against high temps pretty well

Link

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
I'm not sure any other product would be needed if you went with the aerogel - it looks like it insulates against high temps pretty well.

Yes, but there is still going to be some transfer of heat over time.

Plus want something to allow air flowing between the insulation and the cold metal wall interior. So when moisture that condenses on it will have an avenue to get back out from there. Bubbles of the bubble wrap against the metal should do that spacing for that purpose.
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

That Space Loft stuff looks pretty cool but they don't say if it retains moisture or not.

--1966 De Luxe Camper
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

Mr. Electric Wizard wrote:
That Space Loft stuff looks pretty cool but they don't say if it retains moisture or not.

From the article posted above:

" in fact the material is 99% air. It’s quite thin, breathable, fireproof, doesn’t absorb water, and is very strong considering it doesn’t weigh much."
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

From the article posted above:

" in fact the material is 99% air. It’s quite thin, breathable, fireproof, doesn’t absorb water, and is very strong considering it doesn’t weigh much."

Thank you. I am illiterate. Very Happy

--1966 De Luxe Camper
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: *Insulation* - 3M Thinsulate - worth it? Reply with quote

Thank you. I am illiterate. Very Happy

No worries, we all do that dumb human thing now and then. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: