Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear lights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Rear lights Reply with quote

I am in Texas and building my Manx style buggy and trying to decide on what tail lights to get. I have 4 round roughly 4.25" holes on the rear of my tub. I bought a Rebel wiring harness.

What should I run on the rear? And what is the best thing to do that will be street legal and pass the state inspection?

Do I run all 4 red lights or do I run two red for the tail lights and two for reverse lights? What about turn signals; will the red tail lights work for those also?

I know I would like for them to be LED if possible and legal/pass inspection and work with the Rebel harness if possible.

I also ran across these Maxima hybrid lights? Will those work for all 4 lights and work with the rebel wiring harness?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

Pesonally I would run all 4 the same and and pair up left and right as tail with stop/turn as second element... If you want combos with backups and you mount them on slanted rear apron most of backup light will be pointed up and not much use... You state may require backup lights or maybe not, something to consider...

Just find some simple round LEDs with tail and stop/turn and about 40 or 50 tiny LEDs they look way more sexier than the 7 or 9 or so great big LEDs...

Go to GOOGLE IMAGES and use "LED Tail Lights" as search string, you can find about 1000 different designs...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
cudabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

Check out Speed Way motors. I found some cool 40s look tail lights with chrome bezels
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

if you need a back up light.. id use what old beetle people used on the rear bumper.. (mounting it in a way to turn it if required to look at engine in dark to fix on side of road is also great assit) imo more parking/brake lights you have the better.. 4 as parking, 2 for turns, 2 for brake will make most visable.. i dislike brake/turn sharing as you loose a brake light to one that now flashes..
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

I used two pair of LED lights, very bright and spaced them similar to Corvette lights. I used both sets as red, and they are available everywhere

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

Since my buggy body is from the Mini-Camaro kit, I of course used Camaro tail lights. But stock Camaro had back-up lights for the inner pair, with outers' higher wattage fillament for brake AND turn signal. Like crsmp5, I wanted both outers to be stop lights that stay on while braking even if turn signal is in use. So I glued an amber trailer marker lens over the clear center lens for turn signal (and found matching red lenses for brake lights).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

Remember to get an electronic flasher control for LEDs (or add a resistor). My tail lights are super bright!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Remember to get an electronic flasher control for LEDs (or add a resistor). My tail lights are super bright!

Yes LEDs like 'lectronic flasher designed to be used with LEDs...

As mentioned a resistors may be option if you stay with old school thermal flasher ...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

So are there two ways to do it? One with a resistor and one with some other kind of flasher?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

Buzzfagan wrote:
So are there two ways to do it? One with a resistor and one with some other kind of flasher?

Yes.

Dale

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

I run 1157 twin filament bulbs in the front and full LEDs in the rear. No problem at all and it does not flash fast. No resistor and no LED flasher.

Try it, if it does not work, you can change the flasher out for a LED flasher.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

What are the differences between the two ways? And any pros/cons of one over the other?
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

one is a bulb.. one is a led...

i dislike led.. too many items to fail vs a simple bulb... supposedly will never burn out.. too bad i see more screwed up led then i do normal lights...

pros for led..
brighter... good? brakes yes... parking.. no... dont want people to thing your riding your brakes in the dark

cons for led...
imo ugly.. not of proper era for the looks of a buggy.. set of old repop vett ones have more class..

cost.. a brick of 10 bulbs from napa is less then buying 2 bulbs on store floor... advance/autozone will not sell you packs of 10 unless you a garage... and again.. half the cost of 2 bulbs on store floor... hint hint.. always ask for box of 10.. never buy just the 2..

to the guy who converted his back up lights to turns via orange pieces... why not buy some orange colored bulbs?? how new cars have white ones that flash orange..
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

Buzzfagan wrote:
What are the differences between the two ways? And any pros/cons of one over the other?

LEDs are small current (amperage draw) something like 2/10 of a amp, normal bulbs draw about 2-3 amps (1157 bulb type) ... A thermal flasher (old style) depends on the current draw through the bulbs to operate thermal strip (bimetallic) to open and close contacts in flasher to make lamps flash on/off.... LEDS do not draw enough current to operate old style flasher and require flasher that has internal "control" circuit (solid state-magic) to open and close set of contacts to make LEDs flash...

As example the rear LEDs on my buggy draw 0.198 amps (each) for STOP/TURN portion and front bulb (indecent) draw 2.3 amps for a total of 2.498 amps... If i were to put incandescent in rear with a bulb that draws 2.3 amps total amperage draw would 4.6 amps and thermal flasher would be fine... Flip side is if I use the 0.198 LEDs in rear and replaced incandescent bulbs in front with LEDs in front that draws 0.198 the my total amperage draw through flasher would be 0.396 amps, which is not enough current (amperage) draw to heat bimetallic strip in thermal flasher and make it work so I would have to go to electronic control flasher OR add resistors to increase current (amperage) flow... Adding a resistor at each LED adds about 4.2 amps current draw to circuit, so by adding resistor at front (if LED) and rear it increases current draw to something like 4.4 amps (resistor + LED) so old type thermal flasher will work... But adding resistors just adds more "stuff" to electrical portion of build so it may be easier to just get "electronic flasher" designed to work with LEDs...

This is how thermal flasher works... Note heat element in unit...

Dale

cudabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

you can also add in a small socket and 12v bulb too produce a current draw causing the flasher to trip. just put it in a spot where it cant be seen flashing, works like a charm. put it inline going to rear turn signal. doesnt matter which side.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

on my buggy, the body was cut like yours, with one round hole on each side. I found some led lights that fit that hole, and use a sort of rubber grommet to hold the lights in place. They combine running, turn, and brake, in one light. Harbor Freight sells them. I like not having screws holding the light on, as I can with a little effort, push them out to access my dual webers (when I had those on the buggy, I now have a single center mounted carb). The way I had wired my buggy, when I applied the brakes, it also made my front turn signals brighter, so I added a diode just above the split for the rear signals, and now the electricity for the rear brakes does not travel forward to the turn signals. I have had this set up for over 10 years, and its been trouble free.
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

So if I have regular incandescent bulbs in the front and LED's in the back will the one single electronic flasher work for both the regular incandescent bulbs in the front and the LED's in the rear?

I would like to get LED's in the front probably at some point but I am not sure if they have them to go in the housings I have in the front?? This is what I have currently for the front:

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

Yes you can combine LEDs and incandecents......Flashers dont really know... They either work with your combination or not....

YOu need to really research LEDs more, yes they have bulbs that will fit the VW fender lamp holder assembly...

https://www.superbrightleds.com

Dale

GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

Plug-in LED bulbs. Saw these on Gearz, went to the site and bookmarked 'em. I've read the plug-in LEDs can be dimmer than the regular IC bulbs, due to the uni-directional lighting nature of the small LEDs used. These "plasma" LEDs appear to fix that issue? Not cheap though.
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/plasma2.html
Jeff
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear lights Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
Plug-in LED bulbs. Saw these on Gearz, went to the site and bookmarked 'em. I've read the plug-in LEDs can be dimmer than the regular IC bulbs, due to the uni-directional lighting nature of the small LEDs used. These "plasma" LEDs appear to fix that issue? Not cheap though.
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/plasma2.html
Jeff

Pretty proud of those lights aren't they...... Rolling Eyes Shocked

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: