Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1944 VW type 82e on Ebay
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Anybody notice the 1944 type 82e on Ebay for $525,000? Wow...

eBay item number:122398293887

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122398293887
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Fascinating to see a survivor like this, but it somehow feels tainted by the sheer greed of people like this seller trying to cash in on the VW scene.

Last edited by favguy on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

you have to consider three things before people judge the price; first, one of the rarest wartime models, largly in OG "patina" condition; second, its owned by A celebrity, so that always ads extra hype and price; and third and most importantly, the documentation included showing that it was delivered to non other than the offices of Goehring. that alone is what makes this car so special. i for one think its priced fairly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Looking at the pictures it appears the chassis is black or dark grey. I thought it would have been tan. Does anyone know?

Tim

- still wondering about early chassis colors
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

First off, this car belongs to Jesse James who is a good person and he is in the community, he just keeps a low profile. He is a great guy and I have a lot of respect for his work and his talent.

Let's talk about the car.

I don't think the interior is "100% original" as stated. I believe this car would have originally come with cloth interior as leather was very scarce in Germany during WW2 especially towards the later part of the war. Can anyone confirm?

I love the history behind this car and that it is documented carefully.

Now, the price, yeah it's extreme, but this is literally a piece of world history, the one and only planet Earth. I am stoked on the price and it makes me GLAD to be part of the VW community, not ashamed or embarrassed. Step up or step out, when it comes to cars like this. I hope people will realize the true impact that the VW car has had on the entire automotive existence. If it were not for the VW of WW2, many other cars would have never been produced. Folks seem to have forgotten that when these things were originally being made, there were no massed produced cars in Europe.

It's not like it's some clapped out hippie Baywindow that someone is asking $45k for Wink .

Hermann Goering is on the right in an SS uniform leaning over the model and crate in this picture. The car for sale by Jesse was Goering's personal KDF per documentation.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Pretty amazing car.

EDIT. In looking more closely at that pictures it looks like the blue grey paint is peeling off the tan paint so tan is the original color.

Personally I don't think the price is out of line. There are so few of these early cars around, especially in such relatively unmolested condition and when you consider what some other rare classic cars go for this would be somewhat of a bargain. If the provenance of the original owner is legit that adds to the value. I don't know that the current owner would add any value or not but it certainly wouldn't hurt it.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Given who this car was purportedly built for, they would have found some leather for the interior. However I have no ideal whether that interior is original. I also believe the chassis were usually tan.

The headlights have green trim rings, the hubcaps and tail lights are chromed which you wouldn't expect from that period. There again given who that car was built for, some of those changes could have been implemented at the factory.

Last edited by splitjunkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Ian if you read the description carefully he stated that the paint on the inside is 100% original not the entire interior. seats and door panels are clearly not. and I agree with everyone else I don't think the car is overpriced giving the providence of being a car that was delivered to goring makes it a piece of history. its a super rare car, additionally it is rare to find such a car in mostly survivable condition, plus it's owned by a current celebrity, and with the history of who it was sent to, etc., etc; its the triffecta. if people can get 300,000 at an auction for a fake 23 window bus this car is worth every penny. Helll, I would be 1000 just for the documents even if the car did not exist anymore!
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

I actually think Jesse describe the car very well he stated all the small details on the outside which are not correct such as the chrome lights and caps etc. The headlights look to be in the west units probably look at it recently. He's obviously not trying to indicate that it is all correct, he's only stating that all the original panels are to the car, basically all the important stuff is correct to the car whether it has been altered, painted, or whatever.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

The price seems high to me but the market will decide, it is after all, one of one. It is unlikely we will find out what it goes for but I would sure like to know!

Don
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Who cares about the price, let's discuss the car. Amazingly rare car, thanks for sharing. I'm a little creeped out knowing who owned it though.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
Ian if you read the description carefully he stated that the paint on the inside is 100% original not the entire interior. seats and door panels are clearly not. and I agree with everyone else I don't think the car is overpriced giving the providence of being a car that was delivered to goring makes it a piece of history. its a super rare car, additionally it is rare to find such a car in mostly survivable condition, plus it's owned by a current celebrity, and with the history of who it was sent to, etc., etc; its the triffecta. if people can get 300,000 at an auction for a fake 23 window bus this car is worth every penny. Helll, I would be 1000 just for the documents even if the car did not exist anymore!

I did read the description very carefully as I am interested in the history of this car. He did say the interior is original paint, but then goes on to state:

Quote:
I wanted to preserve the 100% original interior.

Presumably, yes, he is referring to preserving the original paint that would have been disturbed during rust repair.

Still, I'm wondering, would this interior have been leather?
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

By 1944 Goering was quite large, and would not have fit in the car. Nor did Goering drive himself at all during the war - he was the #2 or 3 furher at various stages throughout the war, and he would have ridden in a more opulent vehicle, all of the 3rd Reich's field marshals were issued a Mercedes. Goering was also quite vain. Note that there is a veiled disclaimer, the car was issued to Goering's office, not to him personally. The 3rd Reich's foreign minister's (von Ribbentrop) Mercedes didn't go for more than 250K from what I recall (auctioned 10 or so years ago, I think). Knowing history and being told history to pad a price are two different things. A noteworthy car, no doubt, but not a treasure.
Rhysos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Astonishing that this car is still around let alone up for sale! Never expecting to see a car with such historical provenance up on eBay - would have thought this would have a better chance at selling at a high profile auction, like Sotherbys. The added advantage would be the inevitable media coverage ahead of such an auction that would hype it up to a wider audience!
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Dan Hiebert wrote:
By 1944 Goering was quite large, and would not have fit in the car.

I can't imagine how large someone would have to be to not be able to fit in a VW bug. I can only tell you I am 3 inches taller then Goering was and at one time was 30 lbs. more than he was at time of capture. Driving my early bugs was never difficult and fitting in one not a problem. I even could fit in and drive my Siata Spring back then. So quite large doesn't seem to be an issue.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Dan Hiebert wrote:
By 1944 Goering was quite large, and would not have fit in the car. Nor did Goering drive himself at all during the war - he was the #2 or 3 furher at various stages throughout the war, and he would have ridden in a more opulent vehicle, all of the 3rd Reich's field marshals were issued a Mercedes. Goering was also quite vain. Note that there is a veiled disclaimer, the car was issued to Goering's office, not to him personally. The 3rd Reich's foreign minister's (von Ribbentrop) Mercedes didn't go for more than 250K from what I recall (auctioned 10 or so years ago, I think). Knowing history and being told history to pad a price are two different things. A noteworthy car, no doubt, but not a treasure.

To your point, the Delivery Location on the birth certificate states:
Stabsamt Herman Göring, Berlin.

Stabsamt translates to Staff so the car was for Herman Göring's staff, not him specifically if I am reading it correctly. Did he ever drive it or even ride in it? Who knows. It is still very significant. The VW38 convertible at the VW museum was a gift to hitler. He didn't drive but it doesn't make the fact any less significant.

I would love to hear the story of how the car came into the current owner's possession.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Im in awe of the car.just taking in all the pictures, Im on a shared tablet, can someone please save the pictures to theSamba gallery, so that we can have them when the car is gone. Thanks
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Im in awe of the car.just taking in all the pictures, Im on a shared tablet, can someone please save the pictures to theSamba gallery, so that we can have them when the car is gone.

Yes, I saved them.

Search link for the future:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=1944+KDF+Type+82e
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Would fixing the rotted areas hurt the value?
al-staire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 VW type 82e on Ebay Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
First off, this car belongs to Jesse James who is a good person and he is in the community, he just keeps a low profile. He is a great guy and I have a lot of respect for his work and his talent.

Let's talk about the car.

I don't think the interior is "100% original" as stated. I believe this car would have originally come with cloth interior as leather was very scarce in Germany during WW2 especially towards the later part of the war. Can anyone confirm?

I love the history behind this car and that it is documented carefully.

Now, the price, yeah it's extreme, but this is literally a piece of world history, the one and only planet Earth. I am stoked on the price and it makes me GLAD to be part of the VW community, not ashamed or embarrassed. Step up or step out, when it comes to cars like this. I hope people will realize the true impact that the VW car has had on the entire automotive existence. If it were not for the VW of WW2, many other cars would have never been produced. Folks seem to have forgotten that when these things were originally being made, there were no massed produced cars in Europe.

It's not like it's some clapped out hippie Baywindow that someone is asking $45k for Wink .

Hermann Goering is on the right in an SS uniform leaning over the model and crate in this picture. The car for sale by Jesse was Goering's personal KDF per documentation.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The man pictured on the right leaning on the model isn´t Hermann Göring, but someone who was involved since the beginning with the Volkswagen project, namely Jakob Werlin (austrian salesman, and Mercedes dealer in Munich). His son still runs the Mercedes dealership in the bavarian town of Traunstein.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: