Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Hey all

I'm running a stock 36hp in my 56 bug. I went to check my spark plugs and the 3&4 plugs were black and the 1&2 are tan in color.

My exhaust tips were cleaned out and after 100 miles the right side was tan and the left was dark grey to black in color, same as the spark plugs.

Black is telling me that it's rich and tan is good. It's us a single 28pci.

I figured someone could chime in kn what they think might be an issue here or things to check.

Car runs good. Just has a bit of jumping around at idle. I notice it when I put the timing light to the crank pulley mark. It never stays in one spot.

Thanks in advance for any info or help.

Last edited by jz56oval on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Just a guess, but you might be running rich overall, but have an air leak on 1&2.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Thanks. That seems to make sense. There is only one carb so it all comes from one area.

Guess I'll be spraying the 1 and 2 area for leaks.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Maybe vac leak, maybe heads don't match.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Could it be a worn distributor if the timing is bouncing around?

Just a thought.
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

I'll check for any vac leaks soon. Both of thr heads were rebuilt recently and looks to be the same.
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Using starter fluid I checked for vac air leaks today and found one one at the throttle shaft. I could find any around where the manifold mou ts to the heads or exhaust attachments.

The starter fluid made the car bog down instead of increase the rpms when sprayes on the throttle shaft on carb.

Is it possible that a single carb can make the 3 and 4 cylinders rich and the 1 amd 2 side leaner? My thought would that it would be the same on both side unless there was a air leak on the one side.

Thanks

Last edited by jz56oval on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Heat riser burnt through into the manifold on one side?
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Heat riser burnt through into the manifold on one side?

Do you mean, does the heat riser have a hole in it? No holes in the heat risers and are not plugged.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Sometimes the damp and corrosive exhaust opens a hole connecting the heat riser and the intake runners, inside the weld or encasement where you can't see it. But the engine will see it as a vacuum leak, of course. There was a thread showing this happening a while ago.
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Sometimes the damp and corrosive exhaust opens a hole connecting the heat riser and the intake runners, inside the weld or encasement where you can't see it. But the engine will see it as a vacuum leak, of course. There was a thread showing this happening a while ago.

OK I understand now what you meant. I'm not sure yet until I check it out further.

Thanks for the info.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

My guess is it's an ignition problem. Could even be as simple as the ignition wires. The plugs get dark from not firing well on those cylinders. What distributor are you running?
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Howard 111 wrote:
My guess is it's an ignition problem. Could even be as simple as the ignition wires. The plugs get dark from not firing well on those cylinders. What distributor are you running?

I'll be checking this out as well.

I'm running a bosch 010 with petronix ignition. I have some plug wires on there way to install.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

I would get a new distributor cap as well. With a new cap and the wires, that's everything replaced that could give you trouble. The Pertronix is fine. It wouldn't do what you are experiencing.
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Just an udate on findings.

I changed my carb to another one I had on hand that was in cleaner condition. The timing stays steady now and not bounce around like before. I still need to drive it a bit to see if the lean and rich issue is still present.

At least one thing is hopefully fixed.

Next, Gonna check compression on each cylinder
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Thanks for updating Very Happy
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rich on cylinder 3 & 4 and perfect on 1 & 2 Reply with quote

So after drivimg her for 45 minutes the idle seems to stay steady with the new carb and different jetting. Timing doesn't jump around like it use to and stays steady. Need to drive a bit more to see if my jetting is close.

Jetting now is

135 main
180 Air correction
23.5 mm venturi (down from the 24.5mm)

I did do a compression test on all cylinders

#1 - 100
#2 - 95
#3 - 106
#4 - 106

Are these numbers way off. Mayne this is why there is a leaner burn on 1 and 2 side and richer burn kn 3 and 4 side?

What do you guys think.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: