Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting Tins to Match Car
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Painting Tins to Match Car Reply with quote

I've searched this forum but did not find what I was looking for. I have my motor out and tins off. I will sand blast them and repaint. The question is what color.

1. I'm considering painting them to match my car color (GM Sunset Orange). It is a base/clear. I talked to the local paint shop and they said enamel should work fine and they can mix it up in a spray can. Same color.

2. Or should I stick with the stock black. Advantage is easier to obtain paint and certainly cheaper.

What is everyone's thoughts about painting the tins to match the car? Please let's not discuss the possibilities of black minimizing heat. That is not what I want to talk about.

Thanks and looking forward to your thoughts/comments.

1966 Beetle
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Tins to Match Car Reply with quote

Nice looking bug.
I recall reading somewhere over in the performance/engines/transmissions section that colors other than black don't shed heat as well. I don't have any first hand experience and I don't know if it's really a big enough issue to worry about.

I do know it looks pretty nice if you've also got a nice clean engine bay with everything routed nicely and not cluttered with lots of wiring or hoses everywhere.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Tins to Match Car Reply with quote

I've read in many places that VW painted the tins black because that dissipated heat the best. Having lived in the southwest most of my life, I can tell you that aint so, just leave something black in the sun for a bit and see if you can pick it up. Silver is the same. I'd take "black" with a grain of salt, basic black is one of the cheapest colors, VW leaned towards economical, 'nuff said. Looking around, lots of folks paint their tins body colors and even install chromed tins. They report no issues. Folks that report overheating issues are where it's hot. You are in Pennsylvania, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about, other than if you want an original looking engine bay, or want what pleases you. "Whatever floats your boat."
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Painting Tins to Match Car Reply with quote

Take 'em to get powder coated or better yet, ceramic coated.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Painting Tins to Match Car Reply with quote

My opinion:
Pretty much every car I have seen, that gets driven, has dirty tin.

Black tin still looks pretty good when dirty.
When I've seen driver cars with painted tin, it looks like crap.

Of course, there is a good chance that a lot of the painted tin engines I have seen were done with crappy prep work and crappy spray paint.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Tins to Match Car Reply with quote

I have seen plenty of nice tin paint jobs get ruined over time on the cylinderhead tin from high heat destroying the paint over time, keep in mid that you have a real several hundred degree chunk of aluminum directly under them... If you do want to paint the tin use a high-heat paint that is made for engine blocks or exhaust, as most standard automotive body paint can be damaged over time if you actually drive your car.

Your tin will tend to look nasty over time unless you take the time to keep it clean every now and then.

Black always looks good, if a little bland. On a stone stock engine I like black best.

On your car I personally think that some of the basic Chevy Orange engine block paint would match pretty nicely, and look better than an exact match to a metallic body color...

On my next set of tin I'm going with a purple to match my steelies, but I have a beige car so it sort of works with the body color surprisingly, the tins just black for now...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Tins to Match Car Reply with quote

Original black & grey looks/stays looking best on VW's.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: