Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

advice for t2 body repair
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

hi guys, can you help me with this two details

i ordered driver side ( LH drive car) sile and middle panel lower part.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

on sill is written

and i need to put this on here

the question is do i need to cat that panel in parts and than to put on sill or this panel comes together with sill?? and the back part i dont need to use?

cant understand because on sides also looks like i need to cut it in parts and attached some how to side panels.

any one can help???
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

hazaa wrote:

who made that top (bare metal) panel? not perfect, but man, that would save a LOT of work

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

The middle panel appears to have the side plate attached.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
hazaa wrote:

who made that top (bare metal) panel? not perfect, but man, that would save a LOT of work
I'm going to guess Schofield. Definitely not KlusterFolm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
zerothehero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

hazaa wrote:

Schofields make a couple of versions of the sill/side panels
The panels they make in-house are nice quality and in 1mm steel

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_247875...585AX.html

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_368027...585AS.html
1979 Devon Moonraker 1600 twin port
1978 Oz Microbus 2000 FI Auto
hazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

hazaa wrote:

its made locally in England, by a company called Autocraft,
hazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

maybe some have suggestion how to put that silver panel on the best way,
because it connects to middle sill, thats oki and no problem, but the problem what i have is regarding sides. because it dosnt have 90' edge, si how to put it to b pillar?

i had idea to cut b pillar in halfs and attache to pannel?

any other ideals?
914guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

We did this repair on our bus. The floor was rusted so we needed to repair it to put the inner rocker on. We put on the middle rocker panel next and finally the outer panel, which you showed. We had lots of measuring and aligning to get everything to meet with the existing bus panels.

Mike
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

hazaa wrote:
because it connects to middle sill, thats oki and no problem, but the problem what i have is regarding sides. because it dosnt have 90' edge, si how to put it to b pillar?

any other ideals?

if at all possible you'd leave about 1/4-3/8 of the old panel and weld to that. it is VERY hard to do the spot welds in that 90* flange area. then you can spot weld the outer rocker to the inner

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

hazaa wrote:

any other ideals?

if at all possible you'd leave about 1/4-3/8 of the old panel and weld to that. it is VERY hard to do the spot welds in that 90* flange area. then you can spot weld the outer rocker to the inner

the problem is that i dont have much left from old panel, because the corner was rusted, thats why i ordered side panel so i have that grove nice. so if i will put on it what to do, maybe cut side pilar b in half and attache to it?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

yea....you'll have to work backwards on that area. I would do the wall, then the B post....spot weld/plug weld the B post to the wall and keep working outwards

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
hazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

i when to garage today and did some pics:

there is side panel (witch dont have 90' bent) and b pilar.

here you can see from side

maybe to cut b pilar in halft and weld together with side wall. or dont cut just weld on it because it will shrink any way..

what you think?

or maybe other better suggestion ?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

The way the Hanes manual described it was to trim the side wall panel along the body line/crease, then weld that to the b-pillar. You end up having to grind weld material out of the crease to preserve the body line. Then it is finished with filler and the body line is "cut"/sanded out of the filler. I messed around with that exact panel for awhile before I ordered the Gerson panel which has the 90* flange as you mentioned. I tried welding a flange to the panel you had but was not too successful. The Hanes method looked fine but it is fiddly welding it like that and grinding in that crease. It depends on your skills and how much of your purist you are.

When I look at a nice shiny bus, that is the first place I look to judge the overall quality of the work. Bodged body lines don't lie.
hazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
The way the Hanes manual described it was to trim the side wall panel along the body line/crease, then weld that to the b-pillar. You end up having to grind weld material out of the crease to preserve the body line. Then it is finished with filler and the body line is "cut"/sanded out of the filler. I messed around with that exact panel for awhile before I ordered the Gerson panel which has the 90* flange as you mentioned. I tried welding a flange to the panel you had but was not too successful. The Hanes method looked fine but it is fiddly welding it like that and grinding in that crease. It depends on your skills and how much of your purist you are.

When I look at a nice shiny bus, that is the first place I look to judge the overall quality of the work. Bodged body lines don't lie.

why you didnt tried to cut b pillar in halfs and weld it to wall?? and put it all together to it? because than the body line is perfect and there is no holes and nothing can get in it.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

I guess you could do it that way. My reasoning was that the b pillar is a structural channel that form a box section. It is right above the jacking point. Also, on my bus there is a seat belt mount there, on the b-pillar, near the floor for a lap belt for the rear facing chair. I wanted to keep the b-pillar as factory as possible. Maybe I was overthinking it, but it made sense at the time.
hazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I guess you could do it that way. My reasoning was that the b pillar is a structural channel that form a box section. It is right above the jacking point. Also, on my bus there is a seat belt mount there, on the b-pillar, near the floor for a lap belt for the rear facing chair. I wanted to keep the b-pillar as factory as possible. Maybe I was overthinking it, but it made sense at the time.

than i can cut the bpillar in half and other side weld to this wall than i can hold the box in pillar.
hazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

hi guys,

question is about t2 inter rear wheel arches.

question on red you put on glue, but do i need to put glue or weld at place
where is green color? or they just put together??

also if some one how lives in places where is winter, have thote about idea to put inside in wheel arches fiber glass to the rust dosnt destroy it so easy??
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

the red area had some type of goop there from the factory. green area was spot welded and sealed.

personally I have trimmed that panel much like the early bays/splt buses and left that inner tub out. it seems to like to hold LOTS of trash.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
hazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

the red area had some type of goop there from the factory. green area was spot welded and sealed.

personally I have trimmed that panel much like the early bays/splt buses and left that inner tub out. it seems to like to hold LOTS of trash.

can you please show some pic, so i get clear idea about it..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for t2 body repair Reply with quote

just look at how a split windows rear arches are made...it will make sense then.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: