Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

I thought the same thing Bob, so I enlarged the picture and it looks like I can see the three wires going in on the side of the distributor body.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw the wire harness running over to it, but I didn't see a plug or vac can on the distributor. That made me think the PO replaced it with an 009. It wouldn't be the first time that a PO didn't know what they were doing.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Blue's engine, in case anyone was wondering.

Have you had this engine running yet? Even on starting fluid? Does the distributor have a connection for the trigger points? Just asking because it looks like an 009 distributor from the pic above.
Does the distributor have a vacuum advance can on the side of it (should be a big double vacuum unit about the size of a mini donut)? If there's no 3 wire black plug in the side of the distributor, that engine will NEVER run on Fuel Injection, as it needs those contacts to trigger the injectors.
I hope this helps.

Yes, it did (and still does) run, but runs so roughly I'd rather not get it going again until I've got a few things fixed. Especially the fuel in the oil. This is the engine in Blue, not Blueberry (the parts car). You can also see up top the spark plug wire disconnected due to nasty plugs, ad yes it haws the vacuum unit and the three wires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

It runs! Very Happy Do not cross thread the spark plugs when you put them in, but they do make 'inserts' for aluminum heads with bad spark plug threads. I have one 'insert' in my heads now.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Having just seen Bug Run is down in Woodburn in July, i guess I better get cracking on having Blue working to get a drive down there. I've decided, yes, I'll be keeping the FI and throw the carbs in Oliver, my bug, as he doesn't have any and I'd assume they'll work. Don't fix what ain't (too) broken, right? Razz

Unfortunately work is picking up, so I may have less time. Maybe more if it's predicted to be slow and he'll let me bring it in to work on in down time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Having just seen Bug Run is down in Woodburn in July, i guess I better get cracking on having Blue working to get a drive down there. I've decided, yes, I'll be keeping the FI and throw the carbs in Oliver, my bug, as he doesn't have any and I'd assume they'll work. Don't fix what ain't (too) broken, right? Razz

Unfortunately work is picking up, so I may have less time. Maybe more if it's predicted to be slow and he'll let me bring it in to work on in down time.

Hellsya bro..if it aint broke, don't fix it!

After I get my fasty rolling in the next week or so I can give you a hand with your SB. Plus I happen to have a FI dizzy in really good condition I could give you a sweet deal on...
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:

Hellsya bro..if it aint broke, don't fix it!

After I get my fasty rolling in the next week or so I can give you a hand with your SB. Plus I happen to have a FI dizzy in really good condition I could give you a sweet deal on...

Hey, thanks! I'd appreciate the help as I'm a very hands on learner, though all the help from this wonderful community has already helped a lot. At this point I just want to be able to drive him more than a block. I'll be changing oil tomorrow and seeing if it still smells like fuel. May have just been from the PO and he'd not noticed it or something. I know he sure didn't take the best care of the poor boy, so I'd not be surprised if I don't have an active problem. I may also try a dash pad removal. Blueberry has a delete on him and I really like the look, but I'm worried it won't look as nice on Blue without doing the proper moving of switches and whatnot to make them more flush. Also, taking off his antenna, I assume I have to get into the fender, but how would I hook it up to Blue? I know I don't have a radio (yet!) but I'd love to put it on.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Well it was chilly but nice until late today, but there was water on the floor from last night's rain so I couldn't get oil done. But! I got the dash of and it looks wonderful! It was also a huge PITA Razz I couldn't get the glovebox out without removing the heater pipes and some other stuff, so I pushed it as far up as I could and, after an hour, finally got it out. I'll be looking at maybe making a custom (chrome?) grille for the middle grille, but left the broken plastic one there as a bit of an idea.

You can see how messy the poor guy is since I'm doing the steering wheel and whatnot. Can anyone recommend custom parts for metal dash/removed pad dash, if there are any? Also what are the holes above the glovebox for?

glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

I spent most my day looking for a spring that flew off my FRD pump rod! Just found it about 10 minutes ago. Yay!

Grab yourself a big cardboard box to keep in the frunk or rear of your SB so that you can toss that on the ground when you need to get at the bottom of your engine/car. Can't always wait for dry ground up here in the PacNW! haha

I think your bare dash idea is great...I have never seen one but anything is doable! Don't let the purists discourage you either....remember, it's your car for now.

Cheers and see ya around yo
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:
I spent most my day looking for a spring that flew off my FRD pump rod! Just found it about 10 minutes ago. Yay!

Grab yourself a big cardboard box to keep in the frunk or rear of your SB so that you can toss that on the ground when you need to get at the bottom of your engine/car. Can't always wait for dry ground up here in the PacNW! haha

I think your bare dash idea is great...I have never seen one but anything is doable! Don't let the purists discourage you either....remember, it's your car for now.

Cheers and see ya around yo

Thank you! I saw it in Blueberry and really thought it looked good. I had the idea prior but wasn't sure if it would look nice. Also yeah, I keep some kinda thin packing foam in the back, nice and waterproof, plus soft(ish!)
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

I dont think there is any after market metal dash inserts. I've seen customs where they have filled all the holes in the dash. It looks good. The only custom dash pieces I've seen for sale are from Glass Action:

http://www.glass-action.com/index.php?option=com_h...Itemid=221

http://www.glass-action.com/index.php?option=com_h...Itemid=220
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Retrovan (Herman) is selling/shipping LHD & RHD Type 3 dashes from South Africa.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=580
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Okie doke, thank you guys. I'll figure out filling them at some point Razz
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Today's work was small, as I've misplaced the pan I was going to drain the oil into. But I've cleaned up the dash and the trim, and put it back on. It looks alright, but I need to figure out how to get it to stay closer to the dash, as it has a lot of space since the pad would have been under it. i also had to place the screws back in behind them to keep it slightly in place.

I'm also wondering how I can remove these black bits around the gauge cluster, and how to get the gauges to stay? They move if I play with them, and one is already missing the black bit in the first place.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Saw you on Imgur and found you here. Looking forward to your build.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Contevita wrote:
Saw you on Imgur and found you here. Looking forward to your build.

Good to see you!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Retrovan (Herman) is selling/shipping LHD & RHD Type 3 dashes from South Africa.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=580

Get your stuff right Mike, Herman is selling EARLY dash pads. His car uses the late style repops that are available almost everywhere. Herman's pads won't fit the later cars without a ton of re-work, as they're designed to fit the 70 and earlier cars (71-73 use a different style pad).

OP, to fill in the slots in the steel dash, you can either cut and weld and then grind some pieces, or use duct tape underneath, and fill the top side in with fiberglass. There's no real other solution other than doing a full cap (glass action or vinyl pad). Early car you could do, as VW didn't cut those "windows" into the steel until 71.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Today's work was small, as I've misplaced the pan I was going to drain the oil into. But I've cleaned up the dash and the trim, and put it back on. It looks alright, but I need to figure out how to get it to stay closer to the dash, as it has a lot of space since the pad would have been under it. i also had to place the screws back in behind them to keep it slightly in place.

I'm also wondering how I can remove these black bits around the gauge cluster, and how to get the gauges to stay? They move if I play with them, and one is already missing the black bit in the first place.

Those black bits are gauge spacers, and come with the dash pad. If you take them out, then the gauges will just flop around. You have to squeeze the tabs on the sides (from the backside of the dash) to release the gauge, then re-insert the gauge followed by the ring to flush up the gauge to the dash. Or once you have the gauges out, make new spacer rings to take up the gap. Putting the rings in behind the steel dash is how we did it on my son's car, as he went all steel dash (pad eliminated).
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Those black bits are gauge spacers, and come with the dash pad. If you take them out, then the gauges will just flop around. You have to squeeze the tabs on the sides (from the backside of the dash) to release the gauge, then re-insert the gauge followed by the ring to flush up the gauge to the dash. Or once you have the gauges out, make new spacer rings to take up the gap. Putting the rings in behind the steel dash is how we did it on my son's car, as he went all steel dash (pad eliminated).
I hope this helps.

Cool, thank you as always for your knowledge Smile Also, does anyone know if/how I could put 68 Bug hightop seats in? I'd assume I'd have to lop them off their base and put them on the Squareback's base. It'd save me a whole lot of money if I can, though.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

On another note - I have a Bug radio sitting around. Not sure if it works. Can I take the speaker and antenna from Blueberry and mix the parts? I believe I have a bracket for mounting but it's being used by a cruddy cig lighter slot, which was only used for charging PO's phone, judging by there being no lighter and having a charger in the "cup holder."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: