Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I was telling a guy on facebook about this & a random "VW mechanic" told us to throw our Bentley manuals away! Rolling Eyes

Obviously this "random VW mechanic" never worked on a type 3.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

New issue! So we've gotten the brakes bled at work and it seems the front rotors are flexing slightly when braking, causeing the pedal to still feel spongey. Mechanic man Ray says it's like one of the Pistons in the calipers aren't working, causing the other to push on the rotor and flex it. Any help? Do I just need new calipers? Can I fix whatever's going on on my own?
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Finally! Got the brakes fixed (may have smacked the calipers a couple times with a rubber mallet - If the issue arrises again I'll dissassemble. Worst I can do is not be able to put em back together and buy new ones, which is probably good anyways.) Got the engine running good. Put new gas in. Learned manual in 20 minutes and drove it to and back from work! All legal and good. Kinda upset with myself though, put a rip in the passenger seat this morning when it was fupping freezing out! I need to reupholster both anyways.

So exciting! Still lots to do for looks and whatnot, but so happy. Any way I can tune the FI for more MPG? And also are there adapters for the horn from a early model steering wheel to a late model car?
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Any way I can tune the FI for more MPG? And also are there adapters for the horn from a early model steering wheel to a late model car?

No, and no.

Fill the tank until the pump nozzle shuts off. Drive normally, keeping track of the mileage until you get down to about 1/4 tank, then fill the tank again, preferably at the same pump. Again, fill it until the pump nozzle clicks off, don't try to squeeze in any extra.

Then divide the miles by the gallons and see what you get. It should be 24 to 25. That's not great compared to today's cars, but you have to remember that back then that was about twice what most American cars were getting.

If you want to put an early steering wheel on a late car you'll have to swap the steering column, which means changing all the wiper wiring since your wiper switch is up by the wheel and the 71 and earlier cars have it on the dash.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Finally! Got the brakes fixed (may have smacked the calipers a couple times with a rubber mallet - If the issue arrises again I'll dissassemble. Worst I can do is not be able to put em back together and buy new ones, which is probably good anyways.)

Again NO. No you can't buy new "late" style calipers. They just aren't offered, and you're either looking in the classifieds for them (rebuildable cores), or paying Porsche prices for rebuilt ones. The "late" calipers were used on 72's and 73's, along with 68 to 71 type 4s.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Again NO. No you can't buy new "late" style calipers. They just aren't offered, and you're either looking in the classifieds for them (rebuildable cores), or paying Porsche prices for rebuilt ones. The "late" calipers were used on 72's and 73's, along with 68 to 71 type 4s.

Ah, well hopefully it doesn't come up again then. Seems fine now after a few drives around. Also above to the steering wheel, no problem then! I have the early model on right now anyways, just no horn. I'll figure something out for it later on, maybe just a switch in the dash, haha.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Man, it's just defeat, win, defeat, win, defeat with Blue, huh? Those rims rub in the rear of course. Got all four mounted and looked good but the rears rub with anyone in the car, since they mount a bit further out. Back to the stock ones I go.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Hang a horn button on the lower lip of the dash. You Need it in parking lots! Exclamation

Buying too big of wheels! Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Hang a horn button on the lower lip of the dash. You Need it in parking lots! Exclamation

True! I'm looking at options of making my own adapter to get the horn working. And t he wheels are the same size as my stocks! But they mount too far inward sadly. They look awesome, too. Maybe one day I'll put them on a baja, or just sell em.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Looking at my old black seat paired with your white seats & want to mention that the TMI seat covers are very easy to install with their string cinch ties. You can use hog rings to attach them if you want, but we didn't see the need for them. We just cinch tied new seat covers over the old seat covers with a new layer of foam padding added and they looked/performed great. Idea
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

True! I'm looking at options of making my own adapter to get the horn working. And t he wheels are the same size as my stocks! But they mount too far inward sadly. They look awesome, too. Maybe one day I'll put them on a baja, or just sell em.

Are you rubbing on the outside fender lip? Or on the rear bump stop bracketry?
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

The fender lip unfortunately. Also, what would be the issue if my speedo isn't be working, but is still clipped and attached to the speedo? Has it broken somewhere? As I said they're still connected in both ends.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

The fender lip unfortunately. Also, what would be the issue if my speedo isn't be working, but is still clipped and attached to the speedo? Has it broken somewhere? As I said they're still connected in both ends.

If you really want to run those tires and rims, you might want to look into adding a strip of 1 inch metal to the inner fender lip to push the fender out a little. John J started this (it works good too) on his 66 Square, and Nate took it to the extreme with his 67 Square. My son Rob did this as well on his 65 Square, before it got a sheetmetal rebuild this past spring. A little searching of the forum should get you an idea of how to do it.

Are you sure both ends of the speedo cable are still connected internally (inside the cable sheath)? Just asking as they like to break a couple of inches from either end. BTDT a few times.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

If you really want to run those tires and rims, you might want to look into adding a strip of 1 inch metal to the inner fender lip to push the fender out a little. John J started this (it works good too) on his 66 Square, and Nate took it to the extreme with his 67 Square. My son Rob did this as well on his 65 Square, before it got a sheetmetal rebuild this past spring. A little searching of the forum should get you an idea of how to do it.

Are you sure both ends of the speedo cable are still connected internally (inside the cable sheath)? Just asking as they like to break a couple of inches from either end. BTDT a few times.

I'll have to check this weekend, it's likely broken somewhere.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Just ordered a new speedo cable and a replacement accel cable as well. It looks like it'll snap soon enough near the rearmost hole in the firewall, where it leads into the engine compartment, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I also want to grab some new brake shoes sooner than later, as the right ones look a bit worn, but other than that I love him! Learning manual and driving him has been an absolute blast Very Happy I've already gotten plenty of thumbs up and even someone who had to ask me about it while I was out at lunch.

How far up should the clutch come, though? I have a feeling mine needs adjustment. It comes almost all the way up before engagement, probably about 2 1/2 - 3 inches before the pedal is all the way up. Hasn't bothered me a lot, especially since it's what I'm learning manual on so it's not abnormal to me, but felt like something that isn't supposed to be.

I was also wondering - can you easily mount early model bumpers to a late model, or does it require much modification? I don't have a front right now, and while it looks nice I think I'd really like an early model one on there. In addition, my clock isn't working. My mother has soldered the bit inside for me, which was ruined, so it's not that at this point. Anything y'all can suggest? The light is busted in it in the rear, so that wire's not hooked up to it. The orange goes to the metal tab on the base of it and the red goes to the clock, correct?

Focusing on small issues is strange to me! It's always something big with Blue! Laughing
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Adjust the clutch per Bentley.

Red is the power for the clock. Solid red means power even with the key off.

The tab on the body of the clock is supposed to be connected to a brown wire. Brown is always ground on the VW.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Adjust the clutch per Bentley.

Red is the power for the clock. Solid red means power even with the key off.

The tab on the body of the clock is supposed to be connected to a brown wire. Brown is always ground on the VW.

I gues brown has just faded, kinda an orangey brown now haha. I guess the clock just isn't getting it, for some reason. Not the most important gizmo to me anyways.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Well, I consider Blue a success. Drove aprox 45 miles total in one drive and no problems at all. I was having issues with starting after driving prior, which seemed to be an oil issue causing the engine to get pretty hot and (my best guess) the gas burned up quicker than I could ignite it. Letting the car cool fixed it. Guess he was lying to me about just how much oil I had! Dipstick showed a good 60-75% when I'd check it, but some extra oil fixed the problem. I plan on doing a full oil change here soon for GP. I'm even going to take him to cars and coffee this weekend!

He's running great, though! Idles well, drives well. Gotten used to the clutch. Smaller issue I have as of the moment is, I'd tried installing a new speedo cable and sheath as the old ones were pretty crap condition and of course broken somewhere, well trying to feed the new one into the small hole to the other side of the car resulted in it taking a right and feeding below the dash kinda area, and now I can't get it out. I'll be giving it more of a try tomorrow morning before work to get it out. It'll budge but I have to feed it back slowly of course. My fault for not checking where it was going prior to feeding it more. Embarassed

Also going to be ordering new seat covers when I get a chance and some cash, for the front.

In unrelated news, I've gotten engaged! On our 5th anniversary, the second of Jan, he proposed.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

I hope you have ALL the 16? pieces of cooling tin as original? It needs to be 'perfectly' complete to run cool. You have your heater boxes working? Rubber ducting all in place?

Better pull the speedometer cable back out and 'start over'. Bracing up by the speedometer that you have to thread the cable through correctly.

You've been dating for 5 years so should know if you're compatible by now! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I hope you have ALL the 16? pieces of cooling tin as original? It needs to be 'perfectly' complete to run cool. You have your heater boxes working? Rubber ducting all in place?

Better pull the speedometer cable back out and 'start over'. Bracing up by the speedometer that you have to thread the cable through correctly.

You've been dating for 5 years so should know if you're compatible by now! Cool

Thank you, Mike! And I do believe I have all the tin pieces. After putting in the oil I've not had an issue after about 50-60 miles. And yes, the heating channels work well! It's not a hot heat until you've been driving about 15-20 minutes, or less at high speed, but it keeps me warm in the 5 miles to work.

One other issue I had today is the car hadn't wanted to start. It would crank but not much more. After noticing the fuel gauge wasn't moving and the oil light wasn't coming on either, I figured it was electrical, as it wouldn't engage battery mode either. Battery cables looked fine, so instead I turned on the lights and all a sudden it worked fine. Not sure what happened there, but didn't have the same problem anymore afterward.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 24

Jump to: