Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
On another note - I have a Bug radio sitting around. Not sure if it works. Can I take the speaker and antenna from Blueberry and mix the parts? I believe I have a bracket for mounting but it's being used by a cruddy cig lighter slot, which was only used for charging PO's phone, judging by there being no lighter and having a charger in the "cup holder."

If the radio, speaker, and antenna are good you can use/install them. Radios, and antennas were dealer parts as was the speaker, and could be found in other VWs too.

As for your seat question, I think you'll have to do some cutting and welding to make them fit. You might want to see if Mike has anything usable there, or just buy new from J-Bugs.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

If the radio, speaker, and antenna are good you can use/install them. Radios, and antennas were dealer parts as was the speaker, and could be found in other VWs too.

As for your seat question, I think you'll have to do some cutting and welding to make them fit. You might want to see if Mike has anything usable there, or just buy new from J-Bugs.

Great, I'll have to figure out how to get those all out today then. As for buying from Mike, these are in better condition and less expensive than any T3-specific seats I've seen here so far. Frames are being asked for $80 each by some, and wrecked single seats for $100. Getting these and learning to weld to get them in would be much much more cost effective, even if it may take some time. I was also told '68 seats will fit in my '70 Bug, so I can see if possibly the '70 seat will fit in Blue.

Update: I forgot the seat base, and therefore rails, are huge on T3s. I'll have to see what Mike has for prices for two front seats that aren't falling apart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Been working a lot lately, hours have finally come up and I've received somewhat of an inernship at a classic car restoration place, hence no updates. I'm getting around to the oil tomorrow, as well as changing the gasoline, spark plugs, and possibly cleaning the underside of the engine a bit and seeing if I can't find why he's leaking (a little more than marking his territory.)

I'm also excited to say the 2017 Bug Run is in a couple months here in Woodburn, OR. If anyone's coming through Hubbard, feel free to come to our car wash! If I have to work that day, I'll be sure to give you guys discounts and maybe see if we can't run a special for VW if I don't have to.

I'll be seeing about going toward Mike for a driver's seat sometime around May, too, as the Albany machinegun shoot is just 10 days before my birthday.

More VW projects keep going up that I'd love to get my hands on. Two different Ghias for 1000 or less, as well as a dream 1970 Westfalia. My mother had a '70 or 71' as she puts it, which she loved dearly but had to get rid of. I'd love to find that one specifically. Ricosworld might have had some info on it, but he's yet to get back to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Well, I got the oil out today and started cleanup - but I hadn't realized I'd need to order new seals, so those are on the way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also took off the window cranks, however one is quite stuck and broke while trying to get it off.

So the obvious course of action was to break it completely and take the door panel off.

Unfortunately this hasn't helped much yet, as it's still incredibly stuck on. I'm at my wits end to getting it off.

I've received my service manual today, too, so that will be coming in handy. I was using a bug/ghia one for the time being, as many parts are the same or similar anyways.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

You did remove the screw holding the window winder on? I've never seen those kind of window winders. Disconnect the hoses to the metal fuel return line on the passenger side and blow air the opposite direction to make sure it is not getting plugged up with crud.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You did remove the screw holding the window winder on? I've never seen those kind of window winders. Disconnect the hoses to the metal fuel return line on the passenger side and blow air the opposite direction to make sure it is not getting plugged up with crud.

They're stock ones, but they were pretty messed up and damaged and broke. I did remove it but it seems to be rusted on, even the WD-40 didn't help, so I'll have to just break it the rest of the way off. And I'll be sure to do that once I've got time off work again. I need to replace the gasoline, too.
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

They're stock ones, but they were pretty messed up and damaged and broke. I did remove it but it seems to be rusted on, even the WD-40 didn't help, so I'll have to just break it the rest of the way off. And I'll be sure to do that once I've got time off work again. I need to replace the gasoline, too.

Get a can of B'laster!
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-11-oz-The-Original-PB-Penetrant-16-PB/205178591

After a bit of soaking, I am pretty sure it will unstuck your window regulator handle.
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

A small amount of anti-sieze will prevent this moving forward. Its likely galvanic corrosion. You have q mixture of alloys in the winder handle oj a steel winder shaft. Ray
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:

Get a can of B'laster!
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-11-oz-The-Original-PB-Penetrant-16-PB/205178591

After a bit of soaking, I am pretty sure it will unstuck your window regulator handle.

I'll keep an eye out - we went to Walmart this morning but didn't have the time to really look for any of this sort of stuff, and couldn't find any on a glance. If nothing else I'll just have to keep breaking it off.
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
glutenfree wrote:

Get a can of B'laster!

I'll keep an eye out - we went to Walmart this morning but didn't have the time to really look for any of this sort of stuff, and couldn't find any on a glance. If nothing else I'll just have to keep breaking it off.

You could cut a notch lengthwise across the spline section of the handle with a dremel or hacksaw then use a flat blade screwdriver and twist the handle open and off the splines. Just a thought..
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Heya guys! I got the window crank off today with a little bit of force. Took a hammer and rag to it and pried it off, finally! Took a LOT of force, way more than I would have got out of the screwdrivers.

The bugger in question.

I also transplanted the interior door panel for the drivers side. As it stands I wanted to do the passenger side, but it turns out the locator spring in the window regulator has busted. I'll be heading to Discount Import Parts to see if I can get one, but in the mean time, look how nice it's cleaned up!

I forgot to get one of it actually on the car, but that will come first thing tomorrow. It looks fantastic. Much better than the very warped original one, it cleaned up very well and even had most of the little claws that hold it in. I also transplanted the arm rest, as the one in Blueberry was very cracked. Does anyone know what kind of glue to use to reattach the map pocket, though? Thanks!

On an entirely different note, I had a very very cool idea to possibly make Blueberry (or a future, much nicer Square) into a Squareback Westfalia. Take out the passenger door and some of the side, install a rolling door, and put in a camper top. Take out the second row seating, put folding seat-to-bed in, and a swing up table. Etc. Does anyone know if one of these exist to go off?
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

So, it's not the best drawing so pardon me, but here's that Camper idea I had. It'd be way, way later from now due to money and space, but this is the basic idea.

Again, pardon it not being the best drawing or quality. I've never actually drawn a car - and also didn't want to badly draw the rims.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

It started raining as I was getting stuff done - but I did fix the driver's side window not going all the way down. It goes down smooth now, but makes a lot of noise going up. Any suggestions? I already fiddled with the regulator but don't want to break the clip like the other one did. I sprayed some WD40 in it, too, but it didn't seem to help. I can live with the noise, as it's rarely nice enough to have windows down over here anyways Razz

On a side note - are there any good looking Cassette playing radios that will fit the Squareback's mounting bracket and look somewhat oldschool? I know they're outdated, but I have a few special cassettes from games or pre-ordering albums that I'd love to play.

I'll be heading to the Expo Center auto parts swap meet I beleive this weekend to see if anyone's got VW stuff. Hopefully I can find someone who does, and hopefully T3 trim since I'm missing a fair bit of the outside trim.

It looks a lot better in person - but this door panel really cleaned up nice and looks pretty snazzy.
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Grease the track for the window and it will love you back! There's a little spring clip that tends to wear down and break due to lack of greasing this track. Also, WD40 only displaces water, grab a can of white lithium grease or a small tube of all-purpose grease for lubing your VW.

I would dig seeing your "SqwestyBack" come to shape over time. Would definitely be a super cool and unique ride.
my Shapeways store
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:
Grease the track for the window and it will love you back! There's a little spring clip that tends to wear down and break due to lack of greasing this track. Also, WD40 only displaces water, grab a can of white lithium grease or a small tube of all-purpose grease for lubing your VW.

I would dig seeing your "SqwestyBack" come to shape over time. Would definitely be a super cool and unique ride.

Alright, will do. I have to pick up degreaser tonight anyways, as my seals have just come in. And yeah - the clip is busted on the passenger's window I've learned. I'd steal one off Blueberry but I'd prefer to sell him with working windows, and it's probably best to get a NEW one anyways, not one off a car that's been sitting for years and years. Razz

Surprise! This door isn't even original - it was orange. I'd have preferred an orange Square anyways, too late now though!

Before shot of panel.

Cleaned up and hung up. It's being held by the arm rest bar and the top row of clips, as I'll have to take it off later anyways. It didn't clean up perfectly, and has some random splotch stains, but that's fine by me. I'll be replacing these one day with new ones anyways, and the driver's side panel makes up for this one.

Out with the old...

Other than the bottom half, it's not a bad seat. Anyone wants to buy it - local pick up only! Razz

Cleaning up the passenger seat from Blueberry...

And, finally, in with the new!

Just one more seat to go! He looks pretty great so far. I also noticed the original passenger seat and the one from Blueberry are slightly different. The high back headrest on Blue's is smooth, whereas the one from Blueberry continues the pattern of the material.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Excuse my fat fingers, but here it is! I finally got the steering wheel in. Though I have no horn, and a cut wiper selector, it's so much better than the late model wheel! Very Happy

This will be attached later and probably sanded or something to a better spot, but I've cut it down here. Someone suggested cutting a notch out of it and bending it back, but it didn't look good and broke off anyways.

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Nothing to really do today as I wait to make an apointment to have the brakes bled. I would do this myself, but I'd need my mother to help and she works on the days I don't, and vice versa. I'd have to buy jack stands anyways, so might as well put the money into just having it done.

What I have done today is a little waxing to bring the paint back out, and it looks great! I want to find someone to do a two-tone job, but I was quoted 5 grand just for the windows up! Looks like I'll be learning to paint at some point. I'll also need the replaced body panels painted.

On another point, I'm looking at buying a snazzy roof rack off here as soon as I have the money to spare, which I think will look fantastic.

Here's the general idea of what I'd like to do with blue. I'll lower the front since I have a lowered axle in the parts car anywho, and if I ever get the money I'd like to change the rims to a sort of classic Magnum 500 type rim.

glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

If you can make it up to Portland area, I could help you bleed your brakes...takes less than an hour (usually). I am a tad busier than usual this week but always have a bit of free time thru the week.
my Shapeways store
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:
If you can make it up to Portland area, I could help you bleed your brakes...takes less than an hour (usually). I am a tad busier than usual this week but always have a bit of free time thru the week.

Thank you for the offer! But, understandably, mom would prefer to drive as little as possible on no brakes, plus I suppose if we had time to drive up there to do it, we'd have time to do it ourselves anyways Razz but again, thank you!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

You can actually bleed brakes by yourself with a length of plastic tubing to push on the bleeder outlet & drip the brake fluid/air bubbles into a jelly jar 1/2 full of brake fluid. Google/Yahoo would have a more thorough explanation for one man brake bleeding setups. Bleed the fronts first & then adjust/bleed the rears last. You'll need 4 - 3 ton jack stands etc again next week & the rest of your driving/mechanic days. Tools are never a bad investment.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: