Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Did Squareback seats have heating options? There's wires going to the bottom of mine from a small zipper pocket in the side.

Sorry I've not been around too much - no real news. Been too cold or windy or rainy out (thanks Pacific Northwest.) Right now I plan to drain the oil from the parts car as to make sure it doesn't start leaking in front of my neighbor's home, as it's parked there for the moment. I also plan to try and figure out why the pop out windows won't come open, seems maybe they tried to seal them?

I've also got Glutenfree coming out to grab up some parts, shout out to him. Hopefully he can help me with my brakes if I've got the master out before he gets here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Did Squareback seats have heating options? There's wires going to the bottom of mine from a small zipper pocket in the side.

Sorry I've not been around too much - no real news. Been too cold or windy or rainy out (thanks Pacific Northwest.) Right now I plan to drain the oil from the parts car as to make sure it doesn't start leaking in front of my neighbor's home, as it's parked there for the moment. I also plan to try and figure out why the pop out windows won't come open, seems maybe they tried to seal them?

I've also got Glutenfree coming out to grab up some parts, shout out to him. Hopefully he can help me with my brakes if I've got the master out before he gets here.

Planning to run down your way on Sunday in my fasty as I will be installing my engine on Saturday. Rain or shine. I have a canopy in case of rain!
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Late model seats had seatbelt warning wiring.
It's easier to pull the gas tank out first before changing out master cylinders/tie rods etc.
Loosen the knob & swing the popout hinge out by hand. I use a bread knife on sticky rubber gaskets/chrome trim.
Any combination two tone steel wheel looks better than single color steel wheel? Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Late model seats had seatbelt warning wiring.
It's easier to pull the gas tank out first before changing out master cylinders/tie rods etc.
Loosen the knob & swing the popout hinge out by hand. I use a bread knife on sticky rubber gaskets/chrome trim.
Any combination two tone steel wheel looks better than single color steel wheel? Twisted Evil

Oh man, that looks pretty. I may just have to go with something like that! And hmm, well, I'll probably do it that hard way due to having just filled the tank (oops.)

And that sounds good, Gluten! Again, just let me know what I need to start getting out for ya.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Gluten needs you to help him install his engine Saturday or he can't come to your place. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Started my first day learning at the body shop. So many beautiful cars. Even had a Porsche 356! Started by sanding (a ton, let me add) of body filler and paint off a 71 Detomaso Pantera. I'm extremely excited to be learning under professionals and really learning how to do more than basic mechanics and maintenance. My legs and rear are sore, though, from all the sitting and bending! No pain no gain I suppose.

With the extra money I'll be earning from this I plan to save up to hopefully find a half decent 71 Westfalia for sale, my dream Volkswagen. Save, save, save until I can get her! Just hope I can find an orange one, but beggars can't be choosers.

Getting out the windshield for Gluten this Sunday, plus the other parts he's asked for. I don't really know pricing for stuff, so I'm sure I've slit my own throat for that, but oh well. He's a pretty cool guy, so I don't mind if I end up giving him a super duper good deal on accident Razz
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Got the parts out, took off the exhaust too. Brand new EMPI exhaust system and it's just been sitting. The PO of this car upsets me a bit, just letting all the brand new when bought parts sit. Seems to have been the EMPI single quiet pack system, 140$ on amazon. I'll have to snoop through the receipt folder.

Also got out the ignition coil for Gluten, and was going to try and drain the oil, but it's held on by one 12mm, then a bunch of hex screws, and of course my hex set is missing the right size. I'll be popping by Oreilies tomorrow either way to get stuff to fix my mother's Tahoe door handle, so I'll pick up a decent new set plus some rust blaster finally.

Lastly: I forgot my passenger seat has a leak (that I still can't find!) and let it set for a while whilst the state has been warming up... bad idea. I now have a couple small mushrooms growing, which I carefully picked out with gloves. I'll be replacing the carpeting one day anyways as it's in a poor state. Just wish I could find the god forsaken leak!!!

Last edited by KollynnBlackpaw on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

More waxing done, you can REALLY see the difference, and it's beautiful. So crisp, so clear.

Also snapped this nice pic of Blueberry while I was working on him. For not having real photography skills and a crappy phone camera, it turned out wicked nice.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

I'm an idiot. Turns out when I was attempting to take out the column mechanism with the levers and wheel on it, I missed two pins putting the wire harness back in! Embarassed oh well! All the front works now, from the headlights to the wipers, and no buzzing. Though something's up with the blinkers, they work fine but the indicators only show left is on, even when right is on (and is blinking.)

Also: Does anyone know a decent vintage looking radio that will fit in a Squareback radio mounting bracket? I'd like one with a cassette player for some special cassettes I've gotten from games and special prints, etc.
I think I asked before but nobody ever said anything.

Gluten couldn't make it down, which I don't mind. Hopefully they'll be able to reschedule. In the mean time, I finished waxing the passenger side! I need to redo the hood, which seems to have really REALLY bad, deep swirly type scratches? I don't think I did that, but it looks like I could have. Doesn't matter to me as it'll be repainted to the correct colour one day, or maybe old school performance car flat black Razz
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

RetroSound makes stereos but I didn't see any cassette style decks,,,

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/collections/all/1970+volkswagen

I'll do my best to make it down asap. My install didn't happen and I hurt my hand too. ugh
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
I'm an idiot. Turns out when I was attempting to take out the column mechanism with the levers and wheel on it, I missed two pins putting the wire harness back in! Embarassed oh well! All the front works now, from the headlights to the wipers, and no buzzing. Though something's up with the blinkers, they work fine but the indicators only show left is on, even when right is on (and is blinking.)

Burned out bulb in the black piece behind the multi cluster.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:
RetroSound makes stereos but I didn't see any cassette style decks,,,

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/collections/all/1970+volkswagen

I'll do my best to make it down asap. My install didn't happen and I hurt my hand too. ugh

Dern, oh well! And Whenever you're good I'm good, just let me know. Hope it's not too bad!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Also: Does anyone know a decent vintage looking radio that will fit in a Squareback radio mounting bracket? I'd like one with a cassette player for some special cassettes I've gotten from games and special prints, etc.
I think I asked before but nobody ever said anything.

Gluten couldn't make it down, which I don't mind. Hopefully they'll be able to reschedule. In the mean time, I finished waxing the passenger side! I need to redo the hood, which seems to have really REALLY bad, deep swirly type scratches? I don't think I did that, but it looks like I could have. Doesn't matter to me as it'll be repainted to the correct colour one day, or maybe old school performance car flat black Razz

There are a few companies....good ones....still making NEW cassette decks. I am not sure of availability or size. Here is a link to an e-bay info article. Some of them also have many modern upgrades.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Top-5-Car-Cassette-Players-/10000000177678156/g.html

Ray
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Not sure why but my door has started sagging to the point I can't close it without picking it up. Sad

Don't know how to fix. I tried loosening the screws as I had seen recommended, but I can't get them to even budge. Haven't tried the rust blaster on it yet (keep forgetting it in mom's truck, oops!) but they're REALLY stuck in, plus one is just some random bolt I guess the PO used to replace a missing one? That one moves fine but does nothing to help or worsen the sag.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Not sure why but my door has started sagging to the point I can't close it without picking it up. Sad

Don't know how to fix. I tried loosening the screws as I had seen recommended, but I can't get them to even budge. Haven't tried the rust blaster on it yet (keep forgetting it in mom's truck, oops!) but they're REALLY stuck in, plus one is just some random bolt I guess the PO used to replace a missing one? That one moves fine but does nothing to help or worsen the sag.

The best aure way to unlock the screws for the hinges....whether they are phlips or allen/hex.....is to first apply penetrating oil.....then use the PROPER bit in a hand impact driver. One good whack with a 3lb hand sledge....cracks them right loose. Otherwise...you will just strip them. Ray
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

The best aure way to unlock the screws for the hinges....whether they are phlips or allen/hex.....is to first apply penetrating oil.....then use the PROPER bit in a hand impact driver. One good whack with a 3lb hand sledge....cracks them right loose. Otherwise...you will just strip them. Ray

Yup, and I don't know how many of them I've drilled over the years after they've been stripped. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

If you can wait until I eventually make it down there, I've got one of those tools you can use to break the screws loose.

Still a bit to address on my fasty before it is ready to run & drive but at least the engine is in!
my Shapeways store
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:
If you can wait until I eventually make it down there, I've got one of those tools you can use to break the screws loose.

Still a bit to address on my fasty before it is ready to run & drive but at least the engine is in!

Sure! It'd be much appreciated. Whenever you can you're free to come down. Right now I'm not working tue and wed.

Speaking of work, got some free parts from my new job! The owner/my boss is really cool and level headed and has given me a great opportunity to professionally learn restorations on some really cool cars. Currently I've only worked on a 71 DeTomaso Pantera, and will be on a 72 next I believe, then onto whatever else.

These came out of a bright white 70-something Super, but I needed visors and they work fine, so why not? I didn't even have a passenger one, and the driver's wouldn't stay up. These work fine for now until I can get a passenger and fix my driver.

Also thought you guys might appreciate this from my work (yes I asked first. You can see the Pantera I'm working on in the foreground, too.)

As an added bonus, I took some more nice photos. Have a good one, guys!

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Well, those front wheels seem to really be on there. Tried some PB blaster with them up on stands but, even with the parking brake on, the wheel moves. I've no idea how I'll get them off at this rate and don't know when I'll get that master out and onto my car Sad

On a side note, since I've gone against getting a roof rack, I'm putting all my money toward buying that dream bus. I'm also still trying to sell my bug, as I've realized it's a bigger project than I think I'll be able to handle until it's rotted away.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

The parking brake only locks the Rear wheels. Put the front on the ground with some kind of wood/steel/plastic wheel chocks/wedges to help keep them from turning while you unbolt them. Then wrench them off with your big/long cheater pipe on your lug wrench. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 24

Jump to: