Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

So, you note that the connectors are brand new.....but that the metal female connectors inside fit too loose on the male pins in the injector right?

Question: how new is "NEW"?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to get examples of how fast the original connectors fail for people. Every situation is a little different.

D-jet is maybe the 2nd earliest electronic port injection system. But it is the first to reach true mass production with a degree of success.

I have been bitching about the D-jet female connectors for going on 25 years. I have always had some "connectivity" issues with them in cars that get driven a lot and get worked on a lot.
Back in the 80s a lot of the other fuel injection systems on newer cars had their own reliability issues as they got older so in my early years with D-jet......I figured "some" reliability issues were just the cost of doing business. And I figured a good portion of the issues were simply the fact that I did not know everything possible with the system.....because being pre-internet......there was just not much useful information I could find.

Cut to about 1999....my first forays into the internet and starting massive (and poorly implemented) searches to find the ECU terminals to build a new wiring harness for my D-jet system...........I was searching on Tyco/AMP's huge website......and stumbled across a document from around 1975 or so from AMP and Bosch. Do not quote me on the date of publication. I gathered that the testing they were reporting had been done years earlier and the report was published later.

As D-jet production was winding down, L-jet was already in production along with several versions of CIS, digijet was being developed.........the engineers at AMP/Bosch were doing some lab testing to track down some of the reliability issues that D-jet had.

In a nutshell, they stated that the female connectors could become loose and had either degraded (higher resistance) or intermittent or total loss of connection......with as little as 25 plugging and unplugging cycles.

They went on to say that some failed in even less cycles due to loosening from fatigue caused by heat cycles and vibration.

All of that rang alarm bells because what they were describing.....I had fought with for years on my D-jet systems spanning numerous 411, 412, type 3 and 914's.

These issues were not happening with the newer L-jet style terminal......because......the L-jet style terminals.....called "dual cantilever "....have actual leaf SPRINGS on each side of the contacts to always have a tight contact through a long lifespan no matter how many times they get plug cycled or heat cycled.

The L-jet type of terminal is what ALL injection systems use (except some GM crap through the 80s and 90s used) to this very day.

When I first mentioned this back in the early to mid 2000s on the shop talk forums....there was a lot of pushback because some thought I was bashing the D-jet system.

I was not bashing the D-jet system....just the early connector system.

To be fair.....the original D-jet connectors work fine...when NEW.....but they do not age well.

I have been looking for years to try and find that document again.

D-jet can run so much more reliably with a modern connector. Ray

Hi Ray! The female connectors are brand new, however the plastic connectors are the originals. I simply replaced the spades inside the plastic with new connectors as I had them on hand and knew about how the connectors are, in general, junk. I had not thought about the fact the spacing on the metal connector would need to be adjusted to get them to truly fit on there, even when they felt tight on the connector.

I will say the plastic connectors are pretty messed up, and don't stay in on their own basically at all. I have another square that is almost entirely original, down to the 90 degree plug wires, and that car's connectors stay in the injector very well.

I hope that helps in some way shape or form!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
I need to test the #3 injector connector voltage with a multimeter when I am not too busy and see if that one is also getting voltage when the ignition is on and the engine is turned over, as I can see on the good 1-2 bank connector. Would this be a correct method of testing?

No, the injection pulse is too fast (maybe 65ms) for a VOM to read the voltage.
I haven't used it, but there is a gizmo called a "noid light" that can flash from a voltage spike like this.

The usual issue is not that the injector connector is dirty, but rather from the rolled edges of the embedded female connector working loose. It is a delicate operation, using jeweler's screwdrivers to get the actual connector pins out of the rectangular connector body, then GENTLY tightening the rolled edged with pliers. Too lose and it doesn't fix it. Too tight and you won't get it back on the injector. I've had to do this several times and am looking into Ray's alternative connector as a longer-term fix.

Well hot damn. Sure enough he's running great now. The new metal connectors I replaced inside the plastic connectors were just too loose to run right. I also re-set and cleaned his points as well as did a valve job one more time to be sure he'd be tip top and he's running great.

Thanks much, I hadn't thought of the connectors themselves just being too far open, since they were brand new. Learn something new every now and then Smile

So, you note that the connectors are brand new.....but that the metal female connectors inside fit too loose on the male pins in the injector right?

Question: how new is "NEW"?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to get examples of how fast the original connectors fail for people. Every situation is a little different.

D-jet is maybe the 2nd earliest electronic port injection system. But it is the first to reach true mass production with a degree of success.

I have been bitching about the D-jet female connectors for going on 25 years. I have always had some "connectivity" issues with them in cars that get driven a lot and get worked on a lot.
Back in the 80s a lot of the other fuel injection systems on newer cars had their own reliability issues as they got older so in my early years with D-jet......I figured "some" reliability issues were just the cost of doing business. And I figured a good portion of the issues were simply the fact that I did not know everything possible with the system.....because being pre-internet......there was just not much useful information I could find.

Cut to about 1999....my first forays into the internet and starting massive (and poorly implemented) searches to find the ECU terminals to build a new wiring harness for my D-jet system...........I was searching on Tyco/AMP's huge website......and stumbled across a document from around 1975 or so from AMP and Bosch. Do not quote me on the date of publication. I gathered that the testing they were reporting had been done years earlier and the report was published later.

As D-jet production was winding down, L-jet was already in production along with several versions of CIS, digijet was being developed.........the engineers at AMP/Bosch were doing some lab testing to track down some of the reliability issues that D-jet had.

In a nutshell, they stated that the female connectors could become loose and had either degraded (higher resistance) or intermittent or total loss of connection......with as little as 25 plugging and unplugging cycles.

They went on to say that some failed in even less cycles due to loosening from fatigue caused by heat cycles and vibration.

All of that rang alarm bells because what they were describing.....I had fought with for years on my D-jet systems spanning numerous 411, 412, type 3 and 914's.

These issues were not happening with the newer L-jet style terminal......because......the L-jet style terminals.....called "dual cantilever "....have actual leaf SPRINGS on each side of the contacts to always have a tight contact through a long lifespan no matter how many times they get plug cycled or heat cycled.

The L-jet type of terminal is what ALL injection systems use (except some GM crap through the 80s and 90s used) to this very day.

When I first mentioned this back in the early to mid 2000s on the shop talk forums....there was a lot of pushback because some thought I was bashing the D-jet system.

I was not bashing the D-jet system....just the early connector system.

To be fair.....the original D-jet connectors work fine...when NEW.....but they do not age well.

I have been looking for years to try and find that document again.

D-jet can run so much more reliably with a modern connector. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
I need to test the #3 injector connector voltage with a multimeter when I am not too busy and see if that one is also getting voltage when the ignition is on and the engine is turned over, as I can see on the good 1-2 bank connector. Would this be a correct method of testing?

I haven't used it, but there is a gizmo called a "noid light" that can flash from a voltage spike like this.

The usual issue is not that the injector connector is dirty, but rather from the rolled edges of the embedded female connector working loose. It is a delicate operation, using jeweler's screwdrivers to get the actual connector pins out of the rectangular connector body, then GENTLY tightening the rolled edged with pliers. Too lose and it doesn't fix it. Too tight and you won't get it back on the injector. I've had to do this several times and am looking into Ray's alternative connector as a longer-term fix.

Well hot damn. Sure enough he's running great now. The new metal connectors I replaced inside the plastic connectors were just too loose to run right. I also re-set and cleaned his points as well as did a valve job one more time to be sure he'd be tip top and he's running great.

Thanks much, I hadn't thought of the connectors themselves just being too far open, since they were brand new. Learn something new every now and then Smile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

We put a new 123 Ignition in my FI/AT square and it runs good.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Sure enough after a 4 or so mile round trip the issue has returned.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Got it reassembled the other day and forgot to post - he runs alright again but still seems to cut out on a cyl or two once in a while. I've already pulled the plugs and cleaned them, they weren't particularly dirty. Timing is good still. Going to drive him around more to see if the problem comes back in full.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Is there a diagram for Type 3 FI dizzies? I have a 311 905 205 L. I have it removed and a spring fell out when I removed the contacts this time. Thanks yall.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Right, contact poitns are the issue - they were quite dirty and I've cleaned them and blue was running tip top. However, after about 2-3 miles of test drive, he started to run poorly again, and by the time I got home and started testing, was on 2 or 3 cyl again. I'm pulling the dizzy after some lunch and cleaning it up again and seeing if I can tell what's causing them to go bad. I'll be pulling a spare good dizzy in the mean time.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Right, changing out the ECU resulted in the exact same running (at least now I know I have a most likely good spare ECU, I'd be surprised if they're both bad in the same exact way.)

Should my next attack be pulling the dizzy and checking the trigger points and/or swap in a spare dizzy? I could pull the fuel injection dizzy from the same 70 parts car, as again, that's not going back to FI and I'd assume carbs would want a different dizzy anyways.

Also I was reminded by my boyfriend, right before she started running on just three, she would run on three and then, at higher RPMs it seemed like was the key, get great power and push us back in our seats suddenly from the unexpected power. Hasn't been the case for a bit now, and I'm not sure what changed since, as when that problem started, I parked it for the night, came back out next day, and now we're solely on three.

Thanks again.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
A 70 ECU should swap into a 71 without an issue, as they're both "C" ECU's. If you find that the existing ECU is actually a "D" version, keep in mind it's actually an upgrade of the "C" version. And "E" from a 72 will not be compatible though. It seems that when VW was doing ECUs, they basically did them in 2 year versions.
Back in 68 was the "A" version and 69 "B" version was an upgrade. 70 got the "C" version and was also used in 71. for 72-73 there was the "E" version. just keep this in mind.

Ahhh so it's sounding like maybe not? Blue is a '72. I would have to check what ECU is in him currently. I will say I have no idea if the ECU in the '70 functions but it's a good start. I do also have a '71 I could, I suppose, steal the ECU out of, but that one is an auto.

The ECU doesn't care about which transmission it's connected to, and it doesn't control the trans at all. The ECU only controls things engine related like injectors,and uses things like head temp sensor, air temp sensor TVS, and MPS to sense what the engine is doing. It fires the injectors thru the trigger points in the distributor. The ECU is taking in account that there is steady fuel pressure (28-30psi), and a given amount of air entering it. I know Tram and Ray would cringe, but I think of the FI on these cars as an electronic carb, in that they only control fuel.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
A 70 ECU should swap into a 71 without an issue, as they're both "C" ECU's. If you find that the existing ECU is actually a "D" version, keep in mind it's actually an upgrade of the "C" version. And "E" from a 72 will not be compatible though. It seems that when VW was doing ECUs, they basically did them in 2 year versions.
Back in 68 was the "A" version and 69 "B" version was an upgrade. 70 got the "C" version and was also used in 71. for 72-73 there was the "E" version. just keep this in mind.

Ahhh so it's sounding like maybe not? Blue is a '72. I would have to check what ECU is in him currently. I will say I have no idea if the ECU in the '70 functions but it's a good start. I do also have a '71 I could, I suppose, steal the ECU out of, but that one is an auto.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Since the problem follows the wiring plug, I'd ohm meter out the wires to that plug. You might have to go to the ecu at one end and the plug at the other to verify that the wire isn't broken. I'd look over the plug itself and even ohm meter it out as it might have some crud causing a bad connection inside it. Also double check the ground connection too, as the wiring is set up to have a goog ground and a good connection from the ECU to the injector (the 2 wires at the injector).

Thanks much! I did check the grounds (the three prong one under the breather, correct? and while there was no breaks, I did cut back and crimp new connectors on solidly to be absolutely sure.

I noticed removing the #3 spark plug wire *also* does not affect how it idles - however I don't think it'd run on one spark plug (two non functional + removing one that does affect it's idle) so I'm getting very lost. I think it may be the D2 on the ECU schematic, being the #3 and, as there's quite the possibly the connector got switch around at some point in it's life, possibly #2 injector connectors seem to be having issues, while #4 and supposedly the #1 injector connector are not having issues running.

I'd try contacting Tram and see if he has a spare ECU that you could plug in and see if the problem stays or goes away. That would tell you what to do next.

Fair point, actually, I DO have a spare in my old 70 square that is getting converted to carbs (due to sitting for a long, long time, enough that every component on it is original VW parts, down to the spark plug wires. Redoing that FI seems pointless to me.) Would a 70 ECU be compatible enough to see if the problem consists, or is it more likely to simply cause more problems?

Thanks
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Since the problem follows the wiring plug, I'd ohm meter out the wires to that plug. You might have to go to the ecu at one end and the plug at the other to verify that the wire isn't broken. I'd look over the plug itself and even ohm meter it out as it might have some crud causing a bad connection inside it. Also double check the ground connection too, as the wiring is set up to have a goog ground and a good connection from the ECU to the injector (the 2 wires at the injector).

Thanks much! I did check the grounds (the three prong one under the breather, correct? and while there was no breaks, I did cut back and crimp new connectors on solidly to be absolutely sure.

I noticed removing the #3 spark plug wire *also* does not affect how it idles - however I don't think it'd run on one spark plug (two non functional + removing one that does affect it's idle) so I'm getting very lost. I think it may be the D2 on the ECU schematic, being the #3 and, as there's quite the possibly the connector got switch around at some point in it's life, possibly #2 injector connectors seem to be having issues, while #4 and supposedly the #1 injector connector are not having issues running.

I'd try contacting Tram and see if he has a spare ECU that you could plug in and see if the problem stays or goes away. That would tell you what to do next.

Fair point, actually, I DO have a spare in my old 70 square that is getting converted to carbs (due to sitting for a long, long time, enough that every component on it is original VW parts, down to the spark plug wires. Redoing that FI seems pointless to me.) Would a 70 ECU be compatible enough to see if the problem consists, or is it more likely to simply cause more problems?

Thanks
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Howdy all! Long time no see (for good reason, mostly!)

I'm here with a strange one today, and I was hoping for some input while I dig out my manuals today.

I have one injector plug on the 1-2 bank not firing. I can move the plug from cyl 1 to cyl 2 and the issue follows, ruling out the injector or cylinder itself.

I have already fixed two near-breaks on two wires, one each on cyl 1 and cyl 2 injector wire. I used new spade connectors and placed them into the plastic shrouds. This fixed some rough running on one of the injector wires, however one still is non functional. Pulling the spark plug to whichever cylinder it's plugged into results in no change of running quality. I have also replaced the spade connectors on the tri-point grounding point under the breather with new spade connectors, which has not helped either.

Blue has been sitting around for a little as I've been focused on work, other vehicles, digital commissions, and restarting my horn button manufacturing.

Where should I check next? I haven't removed the distributor to check the trigger points yet - however I have done the test of putting the key to "on" and turning the dizzy. I can hear injectors on each bank clicking, however with only the bad plug plugged in on the 1-2 bank, it does not click.

I also have not removed the brain and checked it out yet, as I am hoping I don't have to.

Thanks y'all, hope to hear from you Very Happy

Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
andybla wrote:
maybe some broken solder cracks from age, hard to see for the naked eye, same problem with my daily car (behind instrument panel in this case), had strange behavior, resoldered them and car ran smooth again

This was what I was thinking and kinda why I pointed out the harness. Bus guys have had to completely redo their harness to get things to run right. I dont want to see carbs either. I have a well running factory FI on my bus now and its great.

So possibly some broken solders on the ECU, or as stated above, behind the instrument panel? I appreciate the input. I have two good running (well, till now) EFI squares and I wouldn't give up the EFI until I absolutely have to, like when Gas isn't available anymore lol....

Decent day out today, once I pick up my mom from work I'll be working on Blue and trying to solve this issue. Working swing sure does do something to your sleep schedule haha.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
maybe some broken solder cracks from age, hard to see for the naked eye, same problem with my daily car (behind instrument panel in this case), had strange behavior, resoldered them and car ran smooth again

This was what I was thinking and kinda why I pointed out the harness. Bus guys have had to completely redo their harness to get things to run right. I dont want to see carbs either. I have a well running factory FI on my bus now and its great.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: