Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Big thanks to Mike for the parts today! Just left picking up a driver's seat, all the trim I need, pair of sun visors and a coat hook. Great guy and very nice and helpful (not to mention he has most every part you might need!) I'll for sure be back if I ever need anything.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

We double checked the front seats to be fully functional. They look to be low mileage as the upholstery was perfect except for where the 3 point seat belts rubbed the outside top corners, while the car sat parked in the garage. Popped door chrome off doors to complete the order, so we were both pretty pleased with ourselves! Very Happy
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
We double checked the front seats to be fully functional. They look to be low mileage as the upholstery was perfect except for where the 3 point seat belts rubbed the outside top corners, while the car sat parked in the garage. Popped door chrome off doors to complete the order, so we were both pretty pleased with ourselves! Very Happy

And I very much am! I took the lesser of the doro trim as I didn't want you to have to mess up a complete door, too. I'll definitely be returning if there's something need. Let me know, as well, if you get a good late model dash speaker or radio mount, as I'd love to save on shipping them when I buy some. I have an early model speaker but of course it's too small for a late model dash.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the seat Mike's given me - as he stated very little damage, and what parts seats ARENT damaged on the shoulders? Every seat I have is damaged on the shoulders. I don't really mind that it's black, either, since the rest of my car is becoming more and more frankenstein Razz If anyone actually has a spare matching white cover, though, let me know! I think my white seats are the basketweave with the headrest SOLID vinyl, not weaved.

Mostly cleaned up, realized today I forghot the bottom of the front but I'll get it tomorrow. You can see it next to my terrible original drivers seat. It looks like they caught it on fire or something at some point and just cut off the vinyl bits. You can also see the white seat leans back quite a bit whereas the black seat stays up right, which is the one thing I REALLY cared about, as it's very difficult to drive when you're leaning like a pimp Wink

All installed! Looks great and feels great - thanks again, Mike! Great deal, by the way.

Also got the rear fender and two door trims to finally get all my trim back. They're great peices besides the driver's door one, which is the one I already knew was messed up and really don't mind at all. In fact, it's fitting as that door has some damage from being bent too far forward at some point.

I also have a silly question...

Could this electronic blower from the 78 or 9 vert Super Beetle be installed somehow? I know it won't do a whole lot but having some circulation would be great. The Super also has that VCP A/C unit, but I'm sure that can't be useful for me anyways.

Blue is really coming together and I love it. You can also see the baby moon hubs I put on him that I got from work. I don't think I'll be really painting him other than the mismatch parts. I kind of come attached to the fact that he's "crappy", as it means I won't have to worry when I inevitably get a dent from a shopping cart, a scratch from some dumb kid, or end up thunking the door into something. I'll probably keep the baby moons off and keep the crappiest hubs I have on him so that I don't have to worry about curb rash, either. Keep the baby moons for meets and whatnot.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Welp, what I feared came true..... Embarassed I broke the bleeder bolt. Goodie. I'm having the car looked at possibly as soon as this weekend, do I have to order a specific one offline or can I find one that will work in stores? I wanted to see if I could get one off Blueberry, but again they're just as stuck.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Welp, what I feared came true..... Embarassed I broke the bleeder bolt. Goodie. I'm having the car looked at possibly as soon as this weekend, do I have to order a specific one offline or can I find one that will work in stores? I wanted to see if I could get one off Blueberry, but again they're just as stuck.

You should be able to get 1 from the local parts stores (Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, NAPA, etc...) but they might have to order it (not normally in stock, but it's at the warehouse). The last set I bought, I think I paid 15 bucks each for.
You might try Rock Auto or Autohaus AZ for a better price. But with shipping it might be equal.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

You should be able to get 1 from the local parts stores (Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, NAPA, etc...) but they might have to order it (not normally in stock, but it's at the warehouse). The last set I bought, I think I paid 15 bucks each for.
You might try Rock Auto or Autohaus AZ for a better price. But with shipping it might be equal.

Yes and no on the bleeder bolts. The CORRECT bleeder bolts on the late type 3/early type 4 calipers are longer than what are used on earlier calipers and beetle calipers........read and see the pictures and part numbers here.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Depending on the caliper bolt style and the recesses milled for both bleeder screw and bolts....many bleeder screws are too short and make it nearly impossible to operate the screw without a ratchet and socket and very hard to get a hose onto.

Avoid the Dorman brand screws unless you can find the CORRECT screw as identified by the pictures in the thread I posted. There is a common Dorman part # that many FLAPS list as correct for type 3......that has the wrong point and will not seal. It is the wrong part.

Aleo......to the OP...... did you drill the center of the bleeder screw out to relieve tension?.....all of this in pictures....with drill bit sizes and part #s .....is in that thread. This is the 2nd time I have posted that information in this thread.

Without relieving the stress....you were destined to break the screw off. Now you WILL have to drill the center out. Buy a bit with a left hand twist and use a reversible drill. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Yes and no on the bleeder bolts. The CORRECT bleeder bolts on the late type 3/early type 4 calipers are longer than what are used on earlier calipers and beetle calipers........read and see the pictures and part numbers here.....

Depending on the caliper bolt style and the recesses milled for both bleeder screw and bolts....many bleeder screws are too short and make it nearly impossible to operate the screw without a ratchet and socket and very hard to get a hose onto.

Avoid the Dorman brand screws unless you can find the CORRECT screw as identified by the pictures in the thread I posted. There is a common Dorman part # that many FLAPS list as correct for type 3......that has the wrong point and will not seal. It is the wrong part.

Aleo......to the OP...... did you drill the center of the bleeder screw out to relieve tension?.....all of this in pictures....with drill bit sizes and part #s .....is in that thread. This is the 2nd time I have posted that information in this thread.

Without relieving the stress....you were destined to break the screw off. Now you WILL have to drill the center out. Buy a bit with a left hand twist and use a reversible drill. Ray

I tried fire first, as someone else had suggested, and had the drill on hand to try second, but the bolt snapped first. I'm not too bothered by it breaking, as I was going to replace them anyways, but with the car finally getting looked at soon it makes it a bit difficult. I'll try to get one off Blueberry to have swapped over when we're in the shop, and have parts ordered to do myself once they've all been loosened.

And Ray, I always do appreciate the info, and I do use it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

I tried fire first, as someone else had suggested, and had the drill on hand to try second, but the bolt snapped first. I'm not too bothered by it breaking, as I was going to replace them anyways, but with the car finally getting looked at soon it makes it a bit difficult. I'll try to get one off Blueberry to have swapped over when we're in the shop, and have parts ordered to do myself once they've all been loosened.

And Ray, I always do appreciate the info, and I do use it.

Cool!....fire is always good! Very Happy ...kind of!

Do not discard or trade in your caliper castings. Get with us and we can work out how to get out the bleeder screw. They are worth preserving and rebuilding at some point. Also...make sure that the calipers from your other car will fit onto this one.

With regard to drilling out....you want about two to three drill bit sizes. One just larger than the original hole in a good bleeder screw, one just a smidge larger than that...and the last one a little smaller than the threads in the caliper.

If you have a friend local with a swimming pool....borrow a drop with a Q-tip......just a couple of drops...of swimming pool acid. Drip it onto and into the broken bleeder valve. Tap on a it a few times...maybe even heat it later. But watch it bubble. It will dissolve rust if it can get to it.

Then drill it out...but do not go through the pointed end of the bleeder valve. Then insert...literally tap in a screw extractor or a torx bit that fits tight. The broken bleeder valve should twist out. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Anyone else going to the bug in on the fifth? I should be up there possibly selling a couple things, sharing a booth with Glutenfree.

I'm still working on the bleeder but don't wanna fuck anything up. I may just wait until I can have someone do it correctly.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Anyone else going to the bug in on the fifth? I should be up there possibly selling a couple things, sharing a booth with Glutenfree.

I'm still working on the bleeder but don't wanna fuck anything up. I may just wait until I can have someone do it correctly.

Its already fucked up. No one can do what I described any better or worse. Just do it!
Wink
Ray
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

They sell "easy out" sets with proper size drill bit and matching square/tapered extractor bit that work together every time! I'm not sure if they come small enough for bleeder screws? If not an "easyout" set than follow raygreenwood's scenario. Drill real slow or you will snap off the skinny drill bits! You said you had new bleeder screws ordered & the proper size box end wrenches?
Just do it!
Wink
Mike
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
They sell "easy out" sets with proper size drill bit and matching square/tapered extractor bit that work together every time! I'm not sure if they come small enough for bleeder screws? If not an "easyout" set than follow raygreenwood's scenario. Drill real slow or you will snap off the skinny drill bits! You said you had new bleeder screws ordered & the proper size box end wrenches?
Just do it!
Wink
Mike

Yep...as Mike said as well!

You can look at it like this....technically if you cannot get the bleeder screw out....and if this is a single bleeder screw caliper...the caliper is already "somewhat" wrecked. Very Happy ...so why not just give it a shot by yourself. It gets fixed for cheaper and you get valuable experience!

If you can get the rust worked on pretty hard....like getting an acid onto that bleeder screw....muriatic (hydrochloric acid for swimming pool use)...would be the fastest and most sure way to do that....or you can go to home depot or a paint store and buy a small bottle of phosphoric acid (rust converter)....put it on full strength, tap it a little to set up vibrations....and maybe heat it and repeat.....or in a pinch and with time on your hands...you can heat it up again and tap on it... and dribble vinegar onto it...then soak that area in vinegar overnight.
While vinegar is a really weak acid...it does have some rust dissolving power.

Then if you have a drill bit set...feed drill bits into the hole by hand until you find the size and then go up one larger....BUT....go down to a good ace hardware or similar...and buy a LEFT HAND drill bit of that size. After the rust dissolving work....a left hand drill bit many times will relive the stress as it removes metal...and when it gets to a certain point...just breaks the screw loose and twists it right out.

Lastly when installing NEW bleeders....Speed bleeders are the best if you have a few dollars. But if not....use the long ones...and put a very small amount of anti-seize compound ONLY on the threads of the bleeder screw.

AND always use the rubber bleeder screw caps. The caps prevent the screw from rusting in at the tip and fluid port and the anti-seize keeps the threads from rusting in again...ever.

From my earlier comment.....if this caliper has TWO bleeder screws...you do have the option of simply leaving that broken bleeder screw alone and swapping the caliper to the other side of the car....where the other bleeder screw will now be on top. Of course that only works if both calipers have two bleeder screws.

You want either the long 7mm bleeders screws on the left or the Speed Bleeder 7100 screws in the center.

Ray
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

You're both right, I'll just give it a shot. If I screw it up (haha, puns) then it's not the worst thing in the world. I do have a parts car after all.

Side note: anyone going the Portland bug in I'll be looking for a crap condition roof rack. I'd really like a poor condition one to go with the general look of my car, to cut on pricing, and mostly because it'll actually be used for lugging stuff probably. I'd also be looking for a front carpet section in black (the one that velcros to the floor) since mine is tore up. Doesn't have to be perfect, just not screwed like mine is. Lastly I'll be looking for the white drivers seat cover, I was wrong I do have basketweave on the headrest, the leftover passenger one is solid vinyl for the headrest.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Though I hadn't sold much at the swap meet, I did make a little extra cash! Unfortunately the turn out was rather small. I was really hoping the exhaust systems would sell since I have nothing I can really put them on.

Soon I'll be getting down to the fuel starvation issues, I still need to head over to the hardware store to grab stuff to do it, could it also possibly be the fuel filter?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Though I hadn't sold much at the swap meet, I did make a little extra cash! Unfortunately the turn out was rather small. I was really hoping the exhaust systems would sell since I have nothing I can really put them on.

Soon I'll be getting down to the fuel starvation issues, I still need to head over to the hardware store to grab stuff to do it, could it also possibly be the fuel filter?

Have no idea. When and where did you describe your "fuel starvation" problem?

If you bought this car and have not personally changed the filter.....then it should be changed. When I buy a used car....I change the filters in the spot before I roll anywhere in it. Otherwise you have no idea when its last been done.

Is this fuel injected or carbed?
Ray
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Did you test your fuel pressure @ 28 lbs? I showed you my homemade test gauge a month ago. Samba,Craigslist & https://www.facebook.com/groups/PNWAircooledSwapmeet/ etc. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

If you bought this car and have not personally changed the filter.....then it should be changed. When I buy a used car....I change the filters in the spot before I roll anywhere in it. Otherwise you have no idea when its last been done.

Ray

FI, and I thought I had somewhere but I may not have. He gets "jerky" when accelerating, and also backfires, which sounds more like fuel starvation to me than anything. Mike had shown me how to check pressure with his home made gauge, but I've not had the chance to hit a hardware store for the gauge and rubber line.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

FI, and I thought I had somewhere but I may not have. He gets "jerky" when accelerating, and also backfires, which sounds more like fuel starvation to me than anything. Mike had shown me how to check pressure with his home made gauge, but I've not had the chance to hit a hardware store for the gauge and rubber line.

Um....no. it sounds like any number of things. Fuel starvation is specific....pump cavitation from crap in the tank, clogged filter etc.
The same effects caj be from vacuum leaks .....0....repeat...0.....vacuum leaks of any kind allowed. It can be ignition timing, advance, bad injection harness wires, bad or out of adjustment TVS, messed up injection trigger points, defective advan e unit.....a whole slew of items down to and including frayed ground braid on the breaker plate.....producing the exact symptom.

More data.
Ray
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Um....no. it sounds like any number of things. Fuel starvation is specific....pump cavitation from crap in the tank, clogged filter etc.
The same effects caj be from vacuum leaks .....0....repeat...0.....vacuum leaks of any kind allowed. It can be ignition timing, advance, bad injection harness wires, bad or out of adjustment TVS, messed up injection trigger points, defective advan e unit.....a whole slew of items down to and including frayed ground braid on the breaker plate.....producing the exact symptom.

More data.
Ray

Sorry, to be more super specific then, after diagnosing and looking into stuff, it's to ME more than likely a fuel issue of some sort. I've already tested for leaks, and if it's something else you've listed then I've no clue. Sorry I'm no genius like you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 24

Jump to: