Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
3 and 4 show 80 and 2 shows... 20!? can't be right.

Did you have a chance to check your valve clearances? If they are too tight, it can certainly cause low compression. Not saying that's the problem for sure, but it needs to verified as correct or adjusted.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Your fouled spark plugs & low compression indicate you need a set of new pistons/rings/cylinders. They are sold as a set for VW's pretty reasonable. Might as well rebuild the heads as needed too as they are usually part of the problem. Good time for a new clutch too if needed. Can you drive your bus to work now?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Unfortunately no - both to the bus and the valves. Been way too busy to do a whole lot, and I only fixed that durring work anyways.

The bus won't hold a charge on the battery still and is leaking oil worse than before. I was planning on getting Blue going well enough to be driven while I rebuild Frau's engine and do some wiring fixes.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Your fouled spark plugs & low compression indicate you need a set of new pistons/rings/cylinders. They are sold as a set for VW's pretty reasonable. Might as well rebuild the heads as needed too as they are usually part of the problem. Good time for a new clutch too if needed. Can you drive your bus to work now?

And this is the reason why Tram and I go thru the entire car before trying to drive it. Every time something little comes up, it makes the owner want to get rid of it, because it's "nickle and dimeing" the owner. It's more than nickles and dimes though, but it 's the constant screwing around with the car, rather than enjoying it and just doing scheduled maintenance that gets to them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

And this is the reason why Tram and I go thru the entire car before trying to drive it. Every time something little comes up, it makes the owner want to get rid of it, because it's "nickle and dimeing" the owner. It's more than nickles and dimes though, but it 's the constant screwing around with the car, rather than enjoying it and just doing scheduled maintenance that gets to them.

Ah it's less I wanna get rid of it for money he's using, I'm just getting upset with him. I don't think I'd wanna get rid of him for a long time to be honest. But I get what you're sayin.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Quote:

I hear it all the time, some guy buys a 40 year old car that's been sitting in a field and says he's going to drive it. Sure it fires up and drives, but then all the systems that have been neglected over the years start to break down ,and then the whining starts. The last "Clean it up and drive it" took me 18 months to drive it.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:

I hear it all the time, some guy buys a 40 year old car that's been sitting in a field and says he's going to drive it. Sure it fires up and drives, but then all the systems that have been neglected over the years start to break down ,and then the whining starts. The last "Clean it up and drive it" took me 18 months to drive it.

Yup. Exactly. A buddy of mine dropped off a truck that had "only" been sitting for 10 years. It "only" need a trans to get it going again, BUT, it needed a bunch of other repairs, along with some metal added. By the time we were done doing it on the "cheap" (out of pocket), he had 10K into it, and 14 months of time spent. And even then after 4 months, we removed the FI off it and swapped the induction system to a 4 barrel carb as it had something going on with the EFI, and everything tested good on it (tested by several people using multiple testing devices). It's been good to go since then and he's been using it the last 5 years with just regular maintenance (oil changes, plugs, cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter etc).

One of the absolute worst things to do to a vehicle is "park it". Things that worked before suddenly stop working. This is especially true of electrical items. Then the rodents move in, and eat the wiring, the stuffing in the seats and carpet underlay, and finally the rodent wizz. That last takes real work to get rid off.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Guys, it's not like I bought him out of a backyard. He was a Portland driver, sold as a Portland driver, and is now a Hubbard/Wilsonville/Woodburn/Silverton driver. If I pulled him out of somewhere there's no way I'd try and just drive him. That's why my beetle (check my signature!) isn't just getting a battery thrown in and the wires twisted together to try and start it.

In other news: Just got new brake shoes I'll be putting on tomorrow. I know Blue's were worn when I did the cylinders. He's also firing much more often now and likely just needs his plugs cleaned from running when he still wasn't exhausting quite right. I also started to wax more of him! He's also going to get his bumper on soon, I'll be taking it in on Monday and seeing if someone can't help me with holding and bending.

This weekend at home will be that work, plus clearing a space out in the garage to drop Eiche the Bug's engine and start working on it. He'll be my first rebuild to work on. Frau's will have to come later, as she runs but her electrical is shot, and Blue's will come much later just because he runs fine and I can't be bothered. And it'll be a little more difficult and expensive getting parts for FI, anyways , I'm sure.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

I Would put a battery in Eiche to see if it will run. Eiche might have better compression then Blue that is fouling out its plugs every week. Drive Eiche while you rebuild the engine in Blue or Frau. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I Would put a battery in Eiche to see if it will run. Eiche might have better compression then Blue that is fouling out its plugs every week. Drive Eiche while you rebuild the engine in Blue or Frau. Idea

I'd take a look at the topic if I were you! Eiche isn't going anywhere, lol! He needs a full rebuild unfortunately. Siezed engine, both of em, plus no rear window or floors!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Do you have How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine by Tom Wilson from Amazon etc, so you even have a clue how to rebuild it? I might rebuild the Bus engine first?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Last edited by Mike Fisher on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Do you have How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine by Tom Wilson from Amazon etc, so you even have a clue how to rebuild it? Wink

I do! I bought it when I owned t he first bug, Oliver, way back when. It'll be a fun learning experience for sure, then all that will go into doing Blue's and Fraus engines.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

If the Bug needs floors/glass/engine etc it might be cheaper/easier to rebuild the panel Bus.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
If the Bug needs floors/glass/engine etc it might be cheaper/easier to rebuild the panel Bus.

Oh the bus will be fully rebuilt, but the bug's engine is getting rebuilt just because it'll need it all gone through and done anyways. If nothing else I have the spare block already out to work on, so I don't have to drop anything right this second. Eiche will be a long term project, I wanted to save him from ending up a parts car as, besides the obvious, he's quite a nice car and I got him very very cheap.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Funny story..

Years ago I had a girlfriend that needed a car.

We bought a 'great driver' from some clown old man off of the paper.

It had fairly low miles, like 85,000 OG on the clock.

Had all of those typical little issues, rubbery-feeling clutch pedal, spongy brakes that pulled to one side, inelegant cold-start routine, etc.

We drove it up to my friend Charlie's house, who is an Ace wrench, after work Friday.
Had the motor out/apart/clean late on Friday night, and our shopping list made.
Saturday AM we bought everything we thought we would need;
Motor mounts, trans mount, axle boots, engine gasket set, master/wheel cylinders, clutch kit, ignition kit, carb kit, exhaust, etc. etc.
We flogged late into the night Saturday night...
Sunday we made the shop owner go to work and open up, to sell us the rest of the little stuff we forgot.
By sunrise on Monday morning, we were headed to try and shower before work.

The car had gone all the way to long-block for a cleaning and head torque,
and all sub-systems were rebuilt.

The thing ran/drove/sounded like a 100% brand-new car,
And was great for daily driving for years to come.

The parts cost was around $1200 back then.
Likely about $2K now.

So,
Let it be said,
That two people in a well-equipped shop can do a 100% mechanical refresh on an aircooled VW in one weekend.

What’s That Noise?!?
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Say, what's the right procedure for lifting a Type 3 just a bit? I'd really like to use those centerlines, and now that I got a flat (damn bolts laying around at work!!!! Evil or Very Mad ) I'm thinking about mounting them. The fronts fit fine, and I'll be swapping a front to the back as a spare right now, but the rears will rub with any weight in the car.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Say, what's the right procedure for lifting a Type 3 just a bit? I'd really like to use those centerlines, and now that I got a flat (damn bolts laying around at work!!!! Evil or Very Mad ) I'm thinking about mounting them. The fronts fit fine, and I'll be swapping a front to the back as a spare right now, but the rears will rub with any weight in the car.

Look in the lowering thread, and do the opposite of the lowering part in it. By that I mean instead of re-indexing the trailing arm up (to lower) you re-index the trailing arm down. By trailing arm, I mean the spring plate.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

It is not that easy, but tear it apart if you don't have to drive it for 1-2 weeks? Shocked I believe you have 3 aircooled engines that need to be rebuilt too. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
It is not that easy, but tear it apart if you don't have to drive it for 1-2 weeks? Shocked I believe you have 3 aircooled engines that need to be rebuilt too. Twisted Evil

I plan on it! The spare engine for Eiche is torn apart down to the block needing split, but I gotta have a running car. The plan is to buy a new wiring harness for Frau, get that running, tear apart Blue's, get him running again, get Eiche running, rebuild Frau's engine.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

I'm just concerned that you're putting off too long rebuilding the engine in Blue that only has 20 lbs compression in one cylinder!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: