Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I'm just concerned that you're putting off too long rebuilding the engine in Blue that only has 20 lbs compression in one cylinder!

Yeah, you could do a quick cylinder swap (buy a set of 4 AA pistons and cylinders), pull the heads swap out the P&C's, put it all back together and run it. It might not be the best thing to do, but it'll get you back on the road.
It's either that, or find a cheap Toyota Corolla to run around in. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
I'm just concerned that you're putting off too long rebuilding the engine in Blue that only has 20 lbs compression in one cylinder!

Yeah, you could do a quick cylinder swap (buy a set of 4 AA pistons and cylinders), pull the heads swap out the P&C's, put it all back together and run it. It might not be the best thing to do, but it'll get you back on the road.

I can't have more cars!.... Ok, to be honest there's another squareback nearby that runs and drives that I might look at buying. Embarassed

But! The quick swap isn't a bad idea. I might go through with that and request a extra day on a weekend *just* in case things go awry.

What's the set I need to buy for him?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I can't have more cars!.... Ok, to be honest there's another squareback nearby that runs and drives that I might look at buying. Embarassed

But! The quick swap isn't a bad idea. I might go through with that and request a extra day on a weekend *just* in case things go awry.

What's the set I need to buy for him?

Look on CIP's web site, as they offer sales on that sort of stuff every now and then. You want a set of 1600cc flat top pistons.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

It's nice to have commuter bucket that you can actually get off the shelf parts for. You can easily find yourself cutting corners if you have to rush every job so you can drive to work the next day.

I have a 21 year old Volvo that's been my daily driver for seven or eight years. Best 600 dollar car ever!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

So I did the brakes today for Blue - what are these things? Both are disconnected by the looks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other than that - these are the pistons I should need, correct?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D311%2D198%2D069%2DB
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
So I did the brakes today for Blue - what are these things? Both are disconnected by the looks.

Other than that - these are the pistons I should need, correct?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D311%2D198%2D069%2DB

Yes those are what you want. I'd also add 1 of these too.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D198%2D007%2DAF

The first pic is the charcoal canister. You can leave it alone, or remove it since it's not doing anything (it's currently disconnected).

This pic is of the cool air mixer tube for the heater system. Plug the end of the hose off unless you have a 100% complete STOCK exhaust system. For them to work, you need every part of the stock exhaust to be in place. This means stock muffler, upper pre-heaters, the 2 "C" shaped end pieces, the rubber connector joints, and the 2 steel tubes that run under the upper engine tin and ALL of the clamps. I say that, as those flexible tubes connect to the metal tubes (under the engine tin), which connect to the "C" pieces on the ends of the big cool shroud.
If you're running a header, just plug them off, to help keep dust and rodents out of the car. I think a film canister, or diabetic testing strip bottle fits perfectly as a plug. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

There is another charcoal canister up on the left front fender. It accumulates dirt etc and causes the inner fender to rust out! I would remove both of them.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Good plan! I'll do both in that case. What were they originally for?

Also will do on the gasket set - I already have a good baggie of em but I'm rebuilding the bug too so. Speaking of I just got back from my parts trip - lots of good parts for 130$! Two 40hp cases, two sets of heads and one spare, lots and lots of stuff. I'll take pictures soon.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Parts pickup day! He threw in some other stuff he had and took a 36HP manifold he didn't realize was in there, and lowered the price to 130 without me even asking. Very nice guy, thank you Mark!

Two crankshafts.

Rods.

Conrod set one.

Conrod set two.

Camshaft.

One head,

Two seperate sets of heads.

One set of pistons.

Three frontal tins.

Two manifolds.

Generator stand.

Cylinder tins.

Fuel pump and misc tin.

Two fans.

Two 40HP blocks and two flywheels.

Block one.

Block two.

A good haul I'd say! What can be re-used here? I'd like to try and put together something from spares while saving money and slowly getting parts for the new-parts rebuilt engine.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Boogievan wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

It's nice to have commuter bucket that you can actually get off the shelf parts for. You can easily find yourself cutting corners if you have to rush every job so you can drive to work the next day.

I have a 21 year old Volvo that's been my daily driver for seven or eight years. Best 600 dollar car ever!

I've got a 92 Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla clone) that I've been driving for 8 years now (according to the plate stickers) that I gave 500 for. Granted I've probably put another 500 into it over the last 8 years (2 exhaust systems, fuel tank, 4 tires, it adds up quickly). Laughing One of these days I might eventually do a tune up on it. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Good plan! I'll do both in that case. What were they originally for?

Also will do on the gasket set - I already have a good baggie of em but I'm rebuilding the bug too so. Speaking of I just got back from my parts trip - lots of good parts for 130$! Two 40hp cases, two sets of heads and one spare, lots and lots of stuff. I'll take pictures soon.

The charcoal canisters were to trap smog causing vapors/emissions. California started requiring it but it's nationwide now on new cars. You don't have to have them functional now on old cars. Put new pistons & cylinders on Blue and it should run a lot better/further. It would be nice to rebuild Blue's heads too while you had them off, but not mandatory if you have to drive Blue to work on Monday.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

The charcoal canisters were to trap smog causing vapors/emissions. California started requiring it but it's nationwide now on new cars. You don't have to have them functional now on old cars. Put new pistons & cylinders on Blue and it should run a lot better/further. It would be nice to rebuild Blue's heads too while you had them off, but not mandatory if you have to drive Blue to work on Monday.

That's a good point too, the heads. What does rebuilding a head include?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Our local Carquest & NAPA etc will steam clean & grind or replace the valves & valve guides etc. You can use that 40HP stuff on your Bug?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Our local Carquest & NAPA etc will steam clean & grind or replace the valves & valve guides etc. You can use that 40HP stuff on your Bug?

Yep! The stock engine and spare are 40HP 1200CC's. I'm not sure what's good and what's not, so I'm hoping some of y'all and the folks on the bug topic will be able to point me to what's good. I'll be building one engine with whatever I have laying around, to learn, and the second with 90% new parts while slowly collecting them.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Noticed something a little funky today - he's spitting oil back out his filltube again. He hasn't done that in quite a while (since I first mentioned it and it just went away randomly) and with the engine getting as bad as it has been I'm worried about it. I'm buying the harness and installing it for the bus this weekend since I have the extra money finally (gas is killing me!.) At that point I'll drop and quickly rebuild Blue's engine - as long as I have something to get me around.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan to get the Bus running before taking Blue apart!

P.S. Take down about 18 of your 23 40hp pictures as we really don't want to download/see them Every time we open your Type 3 Build Thread. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Noticed something a little funky today - he's spitting oil back out his filltube again.

That's called blow by. It's caused from your rings not sealing against the cylinder walls.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Noticed something a little funky today - he's spitting oil back out his filltube again.

That's called blow by. It's caused from your rings not sealing against the cylinder walls.

Ah, well good thing I'm getting new everything for him soon then. The bus' harness comes first but hopefully next paycheque I can grab the pistons and cylinders for this, and have the bus up and operational.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

So, turns out the bus just need a fuse that fell out for the lights to work. Who'da thunk Embarassed

I'll still get a new harness eventually, but since she's driving good now I'll focus this next cheque on Blue instead. I'd much rather be driving him just due to... Well, he looks less like sh!t. I'm less likely to get pulled over for some minor issue than the bus is, cause it looks a bit like a crack van!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Had fun on Saturday at the Bug Run! It was great to see you at the show, Mike! Unfortunately Blue sits right now, the next to be taken to a friend for diagnosis and hopefully fixing. If it turns out the FI is crap, then it goes. I hate to have it go, but I'd hate to let it set longer too. DON'T WORRY! He'll get fixed and driven once again! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 24

Jump to: