Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

The FI isn't crap, but lots of mechanics are scared of FI. Your piston rings & valves are crap, so pull the engine & rebuild it.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The FI isn't crap, but lots of mechanics are scared of FI. Your piston rings & valves are crap, so pull the engine & rebuild it.

Yup, rebuild the engine first, then put the FI on it and see how it runs. Then IF you decide it's too much trouble go carbs.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

It'll be done very soon. The bus is getting it's motor rebuilt right now and the Square is the next to go. Wanted to do it myself but had the chance to have a good friend do it very well - and in such a emergency situation I had to go for him doing it right the first time. I'll be learning to build on my 40hps with him, though! We also found out one of the blocks I got was a 36 - score!

To top it off I'm picking up a couple motors this weekend and one happens to be a little bit built - 1641 with a turbo kit, high rev springs, 44 side draft, and a few other things. I'll have to learn a lot about that and figure out what to actually do with it.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

The 44 side draft would be sweet on Blue? Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Right! Taken time away to fix Frau and now that she's (well, mostly) running again, Blue will be up next. I'll be sending him off to a friend's place to get looked at. I'm hoping it's rings,pistons,cylinders, and not the FI. When the FI DOES crap out, I'll not bother and put it to carb, but until then it stays! Razz

I miss my Blue!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Blue runs with FI even though its engine has lousy compression etc. Put the FI back on a freshly rebuilt engine & it will run better than aftermarket carburetor/carburetors.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Alrighty - the bus is a pain and the throwout bearing has gone out now that I've got it running again. Instead of working on it more, this week I'll grab up a battery (probably) and we'll get working on him again. I've just agreed to sell my 64 bug to a friend for 800$, and am coming across another auto square in really awesome condition. I'll keep y'all updated.

... Anyone want a cursed 68 Bus?...
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what parts are 71 only?

Also - throwout bearing int he bus is out, that's gotta be fixed first, THEN Blue comes back for work. Gahh. I want to work on him, but I need the bus to just be working so I can drive again.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

At least you sold the '64 bug so you can Concentrate on your '68 bus before you get too wrapped up in the '72 square! Twisted Evil The '71 ignition switch is one year only. You gonna buy a '71 FI/AT square now?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Also - throwout bearing int he bus is out, that's gotta be fixed first, THEN Blue comes back for work. Gahh. I want to work on him, but I need the bus to just be working so I can drive again.

You might want to take a look in the FAQ at the top of the forum page. I believe there's a list of 71 only parts.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
At least you sold the '64 bug so you can Concentrate on your '68 bus before you get too wrapped up in the '72 square! Twisted Evil The '71 ignition switch is one year only. You gonna buy a '71 FI/AT square now?

Actually, yes, I am! I was very excited about the Automatic in it! I'm buying it from a very nice gentleman in Sherwood, up here. I'll have to come show you once it's running around! As far as what I and my motor builder could tell, it's just not getting fuel right now. Should be right as rain with a good system cleanout and a look at the wiring and injectors. It's a very clean car! The pans are mint looking, all 3 seats lock and unlock smoothly, the stance is perfect, it's already been sound padded, new carpet kit included with all the glue parts already done, even the dash pad is only slightly cracked, not torn or anything. I'm very, very excited!!

The only issue with it is the title is missing, but there's a paper trail so hopefully things go well.

Last edited by KollynnBlackpaw on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

You might want to take a look in the FAQ at the top of the forum page. I believe there's a list of 71 only parts.

Thank you! I'll look over there.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Actually, yes, I am! I was very excited about the Automatic in it! I'm buying it from a very nice gentleman in Sherwood, up here. I'll have to come show you once it's running around! As far as what I and my motor builder could tell, it's just not getting fuel right now. Should be right as rain with a good system cleanout and a look at the wiring and injectors. It's a very clean car! The pans are mint looking, all 3 seats lock and unlock smoothly, the stance is perfect, it's already been sound padded, new carpet kit included with all the glue parts already done, even the dash pad is only slightly cracked, not torn or anything. I'm very, very excited!!

The only issue with it is the title is missing, but there's a paper trail so hopefully things go well.

The '71 sounds solid & complete, so probably a good buy for a fair price. I believe you can get a Mechanic's Lien to get a Title for it in Oregon.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

The '71 sounds solid & complete, so probably a good buy for a fair price. I believe you can get a Mechanic's Lien to get a Title for it in Oregon.

Thanks, mike! Anything you recommend looking at as far as the AT goes? Obviously fluid and testing it once we get it fixed, but anything else I should make sure is OK?

I'll throw a couple pics up here soon.

Edit: Here's the ones from CL.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I really do love the stance and look of it. Going to keep the blue fender! He mentioned he has the bumpers, the carpet kit for the interior, and more blue parts. The ODO also shows 97k, which I think could be true. It's a pretty nice square and it's unlikely to me that it's an almost 200K car and still has the FI and AT.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Since the bus is a sinkhole that I'm going to escape, I've gotten blue back to running status. Still real rough but we'll fix that really soon. Luckily I don't need to drive to work or anything anymore since my new job is right down the road, skateboard works just fine. I'll let y'all know how we get on - this baby will rise from the ashes.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Trade the Bus for a water pumper daily driver with a manual transmission. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Well y'all - it's officially come to an end. Today I sold Blue off as I'd come to face the fact that I'd probably never get around to fixing him, and ended up stealing multiple parts off him saying "Oh I'll put it back on when I get him running again!." He's going to a good home in Washington, to someone who will take care of him, and even said he'll probably end up getting the two replaced panels repainted to the original colour. He's also apparently pretty good with the EFI.

But! His spirit will live on with me - and the money from his sale will be going toward Otto, who likely needs a rebuild very soon as he's at 98000 on an original motor. Check my other posts for Otto, we'll be doing his motor probably next month? After the Bug Run here in Woodburn probably.

I want to thank all of you so, so much for all of the help you've given me over the time I owned and worked on Blue. It's been a journey and I've learned so much, and I still have a lot to learn! It was really saddening to sell my first car ever, but again, I knew deep down I wouldn't ever get around to it.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

It's a shame you can't stick with 1 square/bus or bug etc and fix it up into a good daily driver! You're always buying/selling more parts/cars and don't seem very focused on 1 keeper/daily driver.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
It's a shame you can't stick with 1 square/bus or bug etc and fix it up into a good daily driver! You're always buying/selling more parts/cars and don't seem very focused 1 keeper.

I know! But I'd rather he go somewhere where he will actually end up fixed by someone who knows better, rather than me stealing parts off him for Otto. But for the foreseeable future, Otto is the car I'll keep. I love him too much, after having an ad up thinking the money I sell him for will go to Blue, obviously that's not the case now.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Blue is back, y'all! Via some crazy happenstance I've become the owner again (apparently I have been this whole time Shocked title your cars, people!!!!) I'll get some pictures and updates on the car when I get home today.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: