Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

You're damn lucky to get back the best VW you've had for free!
Remains to be seen how long you can keep Blue running? Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You're damn lucky to get back the best VW you've had for free!
Remains to be seen how long you can keep Blue running? Wink

Hopefully a lot longer this time! And, well, not free. But less than I sold it for, and it comes with a rebuilt 1641, polished up and some rewiring, and a bit more. It was impounded in Madras, and I live in Hubbard. Bit of a drive! I'm just glad he's reunited with his brother, Otto. Some methhead bought it off the guy I sold it to - dude has a long rap sheet. Luckily he's held up in Madras for a good, long while. I'm re-titling it Monday to my name (it's in my mom's name still.)

Oh, and I found some totally-not-sketchy stuff from the Methhead! Including thousands of rounds of ammunition, which the police told me I get to keep cause it's not related to the reason he was locked up. Neat.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Paying Towing & Storage sounds cheap if it came with a rebuilt 1641! Show us some new pics of Blue & his rebuilt engine.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Sure! Here's some pics I snapped - including the custom horn button I made for him when I started, despite not owning him anymore. And yes, if anyone would like a custom horn button, lemme know! Free of charge! They're high quality UV-resistant resin. I'm still experimenting with clear ones so I can make custom colours but with the see through "dome" and the Wulfsburg logo underneath.

1641 In question. Runs like a champ, though I noticed when he warms up he rapidly makes (very small) pops from the exhaust at idle. Thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Beauty shots of course! He installed the Rivieras I sold him, too, though they need paint. He also polished it very very well!

You can see he also installed the salt and pepper carpet kit I sold him! All around I'm still up about $100, plus a rebuilt and beautified car, and more importantly a car I missed dearly - so I'm way up!

I promise to take care of him now. It may have only been 6 months, but I'm much more knowledgeable now about a lot of subjects that were troubling me at the time, thanks to Otto. Even if he breaks, I'll fight tooth and nail to keep him. Don't tell Otto, he is a beautiful ride, but Blue will always be my favourite, and my very first car.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Blue does look good now!
Keep it running/looking good.
You can rebuild the engine in Otto for your first engine build! Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Blue does look good now!
Keep it running/looking good.
You can rebuild the engine in Otto for your first engine build! Idea

Thanks! He should be around a long time! And right now it's getting rebuilt by a friend who has a lot of time on his hands, as I've got none but the cash to do it. However, we both plan on rebuilding his '59s original motor while he teaches me how to and even has me do it myself. He's also teaching me to weld on my '50 Jeep.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Hey, y'all! Blue's been running fantastic, taking me all kinds of places. Lately, however, and excuse the blurry photo...

He took me to get a rack! Yes, I finally found a full-length rack, local too! Just down in Eugene. Took a long drive, but man was it worth it! Super happy to finally have a rack. This one is probably goin on Otto, and I'll swap back Blue's old rack, but I'm so happy to have finally found one!!!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Y'all it must be my lucky damn WEEK, a second full length rack! I picked it up for CHEAP here locally in Mololla! I can't wait to put it on Otto once his motor is done being rebuilt.

Does anyone have any idea if it's self-made or a real rack? It's got mounts on it similar to real accessory racks, and even protective rubber. It's also got a just slightly sloped front end for the front of the car.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

It's hard to tell for sure from that pic but it looks legitimate to me as a real Squareback rack.
I've seen that style before.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
It's hard to tell for sure from that pic but it looks legitimate to me as a real Squareback rack.
I've seen that style before.

Yeah, better pics of it by itself might show more detail.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Here's the one I got outta Eugene, I saw someone with a similar one on the Type 3 page on Facebook

This pic might looks a little crooked cause i had to crop it and it looks off now, but you can see the details for the one I just bought.

It has some screw holes through the top tubing on the front and rear end, not sure what for. I haven't looked over it too well yet but I haven't immediately seen any markings.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Here's the one I got outta Eugene, I saw someone with a similar one on the Type 3 page on Facebook

This definitely looks like a typical VW issued rack to me, although I can't recall seeing clamps that went around the legs like that.

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
This pic might looks a little crooked cause i had to crop it and it looks off now, but you can see the details for the one I just bought.

This is the rack I thought it was and I believe it's VW as well.
Or at least I have seen it a bunch of times before so it must have been commonly available.

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

It has some screw holes through the top tubing on the front and rear end, not sure what for. I haven't looked over it too well yet but I haven't immediately seen any markings.

I'm going to guess an previous owner drilled those - this doesn't sound original
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

This definitely looks like a typical VW issued rack to me, although I can't recall seeing clamps that went around the legs like that.

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

This is the rack I thought it was and I believe it's VW as well.
Or at least I have seen it a bunch of times before so it must have been commonly available.

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

I'm going to guess an previous owner drilled those - this doesn't sound original

Thank you a bunch! I'll have to search around on them for any markings, though if it's anything like the bug rack I had, it would have had a sticker, which means it's definitely gone on both. Hopefully I can get some more info on em at some point, though!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

The first one I believe would have had a ZVW part # sticker

Something like this but maybe a different part #

The 2nd rack I do not know.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
The first one I believe would have had a ZVW part # sticker

Something like this but maybe a different part #

The 2nd rack I do not know.

Yes, mine is missing then. Well it's good to know it seems to be a real official rack!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Howdy again, y'all! I'm looking to get some paint to spray my hood and fender - I believe I have the one year only "Gentian Blue", however on one website all I can find is "Enzian Blue" which looks very similar, and I've also seen it listed as both being the same thing. What is the right answer, here? I sadly don't have my paint code sticker, so I can't be 100% sure what colour I have.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Howdy again, y'all! I'm looking to get some paint to spray my hood and fender - I believe I have the one year only "Gentian Blue", however on one website all I can find is "Enzian Blue" which looks very similar, and I've also seen it listed as both being the same thing. What is the right answer, here? I sadly don't have my paint code sticker, so I can't be 100% sure what colour I have.

Do you have an automotive paint store in town (like a PPG, Sherwin Williams, Axalta)? If so, wash the car, and have the read the color that's currently on it. Then have them mix it up into spray cans. It should match then. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Do you have an automotive paint store in town (like a PPG, Sherwin Williams, Axalta)? If so, wash the car, and have the read the color that's currently on it. Then have them mix it up into spray cans. It should match then. Wink

I actually just started a new job at a collision shop up in Wilsonville, who (after 90 days) offer me parts and paint at-cost, as well on discounts on labour, so I'll have it all painted up in a couple months! Maybe I can fix that ugly Bondo patch on the rear left, too. It just keeps getting balder and balder.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bodymen/Painters make decent money & can always find work or work for themselves! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Bodymen/Painters make decent money & can always find work or work for themselves! Cool

Oh for sure! That's one reason I'm here. I have a decent amount of experience in body from my time at the restoration shop, so to learn fully how to paint and everything would be excellent for my future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: