Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 3 full auto
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jecstl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

anyone know where to get the cable for the auto mine broke

also idea on why
thanks for your help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i got mine from bill and steves in cali. it was around $50'ish for a used as nobody makes them yet (as i was told)
SOLD Sad
'69 Fastback (Flamer)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have a couple. One is still in a car. The other is someplace in the shop.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jac harnett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

I did not take this car apart, now trying to fix someone else's work. They pulled the shifter cable with the outer casing. I just can not find the way the cable goes into the tunnel. I know the pan has been changed, could it be a standard and not have an opening?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

jac harnett wrote:
I did not take this car apart, now trying to fix someone else's work. They pulled the shifter cable with the outer casing. I just can not find the way the cable goes into the tunnel. I know the pan has been changed, could it be a standard and not have an opening?

The cable runs along the left side of the transmission, not inside the tunnel?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jac harnett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

Mike, both inner and outer casing were removed. The bently booh shows it going under the torsion tube.
is it posable vw did the same to the t3 as they did to the t1 in the early days. make 2 pans,1 auto and 1 std?
I have spent hours to find an image of some sort.
Thanks, Jac
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

It does seem the cable must run in the tunnel to the shifter.
The chassis's are pretty much the same except the 4 speed has a sloped guide tube in the tunnel for the clutch cable to operate smoothly.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jac harnett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

Mike
I will try to get some pics too for you to look at if you don't mind.
Jav
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

I hope you have the round fitting with a hole in the inside end that the inner cable slips into?
It's shown pretty well on Fig. 9-1
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

jac harnett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

at the trans end i have these
clamp sleeve
clamp bolt
washer
hex nut
bellows
The cable is intact
looks like I am going to have to find another car to look at.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can kinda see where the cable comes out in these pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

And if you look closely you can see the tube in the center of pan just before the subframe mount.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

Lift up your shifter and you can see how the cable hooks to it.
So, now you know how both ends are routed/attached! Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

LowThrum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

jac harnett wrote:

is it posable vw did the same to the t3 as they did to the t1 in the early days. make 2 pans,1 auto and 1 std?
Thanks, Jac

I also have an automatic car. Yes, I'm told they had two different pans, one for auto, one for manual. I have looked into what it would take to swap mine to manual, and it was discovered the tunnel doesn't include the shift linkage for the manual
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

LowThrum wrote:
jac harnett wrote:

Thanks, Jac

I also have an automatic car. Yes, I'm told they had two different pans, one for auto, one for manual. I have looked into what it would take to swap mine to manual, and it was discovered the tunnel doesn't include the shift linkage for the manual

Yes some of the early 68 AT pans were also MT pans (a combo pan w/clutch tube inside the tunnel), but not very many (mid year 68 started the AT production). From 69 thru 73, there were dedicated AT or MT pans.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jac harnett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

I want to say thank you all for all the help. it turns out my pan is a standard.
Now I can move forward with this mess
Thanks Jac
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 full auto Reply with quote

I have both auto and manual pans out back. Let me know if you need any specific details and I'll snap some pics for you.
'67 Squareback

2003 Jetta "Variant" TDI
2008 Passat Wagon 2.0

1500 Build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7904818&highlight=#7904818
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: