Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wide 5 dropped spindles link pin issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leadsled1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Wide 5 dropped spindles link pin issue Reply with quote

I have ran into some trouble installing my dropped spindles that came with the empi wide 5 brake kit. When the correct number of shims are in place the spindle will not rotate. My offset calls for 6 shims on the top. And ideas?
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1618067[/img]
Leadsled1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide 5 dropped spindles link pin issue Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide 5 dropped spindles link pin issue Reply with quote

New link pins?
Clearance the head.
Clearance the back side of the spindle. You can see it doesn't fit flush or square.
Possibly the link pin bushing is fitting proud in the carrier forcing the head out.
Welcome to the world of Chinese Republic Authentic Parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wide 5 dropped spindles link pin issue Reply with quote

Hmm... does the carrier rotate without hitting the back of the spindle without the link pins installed? It does look tighter than i remember from doing the same operation recently? I know that my aftermarket link pins had a significantly thicker head than the OG ones, i actually reused the old link pins as they were fine, just installed new bushings. The machining of the helical groove for the adjuster was so badly done that i did not feel like using the pins that were supplied with the kit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jssweatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wide 5 dropped spindles link pin issue Reply with quote

I would make sure you don't have them switched. I took both of mine apart and made the mistake of putting them back together on the opposite sides. Embarassed
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wide 5 dropped spindles link pin issue Reply with quote

When I did mine I did one side at at time to avoid any confusion about parts.I was going to say maybe remeasure the offset but 6 shims shouldn't put it out that far . My offset was 7mm so mine are in the photo with 5 upper/outter and 3 inner/If you take the linkpin out and try in the opposite side that will give you an idea if they were switched.But it looks like it would hit even with the pin all the way out.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wide 5 dropped spindles link pin issue Reply with quote

Make sure the link pin bushing is in properly, flush on both sides. Also make sure the pin fits all the way into the bore on the carrier. It may be nessesary to clearance the pin on the circumference of the head. If that doesn't cure it grind the head of the pin down to clear the welds on the dropped spindle that aren't there on factory one.

brad
Leadsled1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wide 5 dropped spindles link pin issue Reply with quote

Measured the aftermarket pin head and an original one I have left over. The after market ones were 5mm thicker at the head. Turned them down to match the original and they fit fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: