Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1995 Camper with Automatic Transmission
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: 1995 Camper with Automatic Transmission Reply with quote

Several of the campers we are looking at buying have the 5-cylinder with an automatic transmission. Should this scare me off?

I would prefer the manual but I have seen complaints about both. Also, I can't get a good read on if I want the 5-cyl or the V6 of the 1997 and newer vans.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Camper with Automatic Transmission Reply with quote

I think it may come down to personal preference. If you like lots of power and are ok with automatics the VR6 is the way to go. If stick is more your thing you'll be shopping for the 2.5 manual found in the earlier vans and forfeiting the power.

Like any transmission (especially the auto) of this age and being subjected to heavy duty usage it's whole life (small tranny/heavy vehicle) failures are common with original and/or neglected units. Shop and pay accordingly. Keep in mind that some people decide to sell their vehicles because they know a big $ repair is around the corner so due-diligence is critical. Vehicles needing repairs can often be the best deals provided you know what your getting into and are ok with a project.

5-speeds wear out but can be cheaper and easier to fix.

I can't speak personally for the 2.5 but it seems a very stout engine as is the VR6 once any timing chain issues are corrected.

The 5-speed I5 van is less machine and should have less to go wrong - in theory with all else being equal.

Huge bonus if you can do your own repairs. At very least having access to a reliable shop that has 90's era VW experience and is willing to give the love with a positive attitude is essential IMO. If the shop you have only wants to do Toyota brake jobs that could be a problem.

Any of these vans are going to cost you in terms of ongoing repairs unless they've been gone over thoroughly due to their age and inherent design. That said if this is the type of vehicle you want the "dedication" will likely be worthwhile.

Hope this helps and good luck in your quest.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes

Last edited by gakali on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
sdunn35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Camper with Automatic Transmission Reply with quote

@gakali's advice here
Quote:
Huge bonus if you can do your own repairs. At very least having access to a reliable shop that has 90's era VW experience and is willing to give the love with a positive attitude is essential IMO. If the shop you have only wants to do Toyota brake jobs that could be a problem.

Is the key consideration IMO. I do all of the "RV" maintenance/repair/upgrade on my EVC but have all of the "pure Eurovan" mechanicals handled by a VW-only shop in my town that also runs an aircooled VW resto business. Not sure I'd keep the EVC if I didn't have that resource close by.

Lots and lots of opinions on the interwebs on I5 vs VR6; 12v vs 24v, etc. I have owned both 24v and 12v EVs, and driven the I5. All I will say is from a driving experience perspective, big difference between I5 and VR6; not much difference between the 12v and 24v VR6.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: