Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1952 Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

matteo52 wrote:
Andre
Can’t wait to see your 52 deluxe painted swr and then brown over the top..

What do you know Matt? Your '52 is just primer!! Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by DSweinhagen on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Holy smokes! That paint work is absolutely beautiful! Stunning.

Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
All the parts are done and I've picked them up and started sanding and buffing. The bus should be done next week. I don't know... For not being painted "correctly" looks like it will be okay.

Last edited by andre b on Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
matteo52 wrote:
Andre

accually working on one Wink ,,patients my friend. dude cant believe with your high end standards you let this slie,
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

wow my comment was not intended to incite this kind of reaction, my apologies.

I didn't mention anything about 'correct', I've just SEEN many high end restorations paint buses the way they were done at the factory (including the chassis overspray everyone strives for). That being said I am NOT a painter, so I can't tell you how it should have been done.

The bus will be amazing when completed! keep up the phenomenal work David.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Inspiring. Mine will be at the point next month, and I've been watching your progress too. Very impressive!
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
DSweinhagen wrote:
All the parts are done and I've picked them up and started sanding and buffing. The bus should be done next week. I don't know... For not being painted "correctly" looks like it will be okay.

yes looks good and most wont know.but god dam what's a little more paint cost to simply spay the hole bus in swr "correctly". An maybe not all on the insides of the doors.in my eyes this was a major fumble.not knockin your work eather.so dont get mad there.simple spray of entire bus.then the chestnut.just had to say.im done.

The estimate was about $3500 in materials and labor to paint, mask, sand everything flat again, mask and repaint. I don't know about you, but that sounded like a lot of money to me for something that makes no difference in the end. And Matt really preferred not to do it. I don't know if you understand this type of work is a little different than some driveway paint blending.

andre b wrote:
DSweinhagen wrote:
matteo52 wrote:
Andre

accually working on one Wink ,,patients my friend. dude cant believe with your high end standards you let this slie,

Cool! Let's see some pics.

*Edit* Looks like you deleted another post.

Look, this isn't the only thing I do. I have a family, other hobbies and projects. It's time consuming to come in here, organize pictures, write descriptions, put it together and keep it all up. It's not something I'd normally do but I've had some bug me over the years to do it. I don't mind it, and I think it's a cool way to document a project. But I don't understand the need for the negativity?

And while it isn't the only thing I do, it has been a passion for almost thirty years now. I bought my first bus in 1990 when I was eighteen. When I go to work I do the best I can with the knowledge I have. I've never said mine is the best way or the only way. I do have a bit of experience with what has and has not worked over the years, and have had to fix plenty of jobs that didn't go right on my own time. I prefer not to do that and try to move forward as efficiently as possible for both me and my clients. Everyone else out there is welcome to handle their projects as they see fit.

Last edited by DSweinhagen on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:07 am; edited 2 times in total
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Holy smokes! That paint work is absolutely beautiful! Stunning.

Very Happy

JonL wrote:
Inspiring. Mine will be at the point next month, and I've been watching your progress too. Very impressive!

sled wrote:
wow my comment was not intended to incite this kind of reaction, my apologies.

I didn't mention anything about 'correct', I've just SEEN many high end restorations paint buses the way they were done at the factory (including the chassis overspray everyone strives for). That being said I am NOT a painter, so I can't tell you how it should have been done.

The bus will be amazing when completed! keep up the phenomenal work David.

Thanks guys!!

No worries sled.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

I believe this must be some misunderstanding. No doubt, if somebody was doing this himself on his own bus, and time and cost didn't matter, it WOULD be great to actually do the paint layers EXACTLY as VW had done, and the bus would be starting to appear like it had og paint after it got its fair share of scratches and use and sun bleeching. Now we all understand that this is never going to happen though.
It is totally obvious that a modern high quality car paint shop would never want to do that, because. how are you going to sand the SWR flat and then apply CB on top without another layer of primer inbetween because either the top coat is not going to stick because it is missing primer or the SWR had fully cured before sanding and applying Brown.
A modern shop will not want to take the risk of peeling top coat.
IMHO it is already utterly surprising that they agreed to do single stage paint!
So now we are all waiting to see this bus in final paint, please keep posting, David! this is going to be sweet! Cool

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Extremely cool progresses here and an amazing work quality!
Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!

Keep us updated.

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

LOL, all of us will be dead for 30 to 50 years before any of the "top level" restorations will be rusted out, acid rained on and sun baked patina vehicles, that we restored ever need worked on again.....maybe never if the vehicles are well taken care of this time around!!!
Doesn't matter a bit if there is paint layering like the factory or sprayed out like this. Cost and time are definitely a consideration if you have priced out sealing wax red paint and quality shop rates.

Top level workmanship by the best in the craftsmen in the business.

This bus has been a long term commitment by all involved, the results are and will be nothing less than spectacular.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

A quick comparison of "restored" or even preserved buses on both a mechanical and bodywork level will give anyone a clue as to who does great work. You don't get a reputation like David's by half assing.

This '52 is a beauty.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fast Eddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

First off, I would like to start by thanking David for taking the time to start a thread on this bus and for posting pictures of all his work for everyone to see and critique. I think its great when someone questions something or shares information. That’s what make this site great, it’s how we all learn. I can’t count how many hours or beers David, Matt D., any myself have spent in each other’s garages “geeking out” about the smallest bus details, this bus included. I think anyone who has attempted a high-end restoration strives for the end results to be as close as possible to how it left factory, but there is a big difference between an “original” car and a “restored” car. I think restored cars are held to a much higher standard. With your original bus it easy to explain why the long panel is wavy or the door gaps suck, “it’s original, that’s how it left the factory”, right? That doesn’t work with a restored bus, everyone ends up being a critic. The paint the wrong shade of color or its to shiny, the bodywork isn’t straight enough. At the end of the day it about making choices that will lead to a high quality restoration that will hold up over time and David has been responsible for quite a few of them over the years. So, I encourage people to keep asking question, just be respectful. Oh, and anyone who’s have had the displeasure of installing skylight windows on a freshly paint bus would appreciate the fact there’s a little less paint. Hey Matt D. don’t we still have one skylight left to install on the 63 DD. David, I can't wait until "auction week" in January when I get to come see the 52 after paint.
EA57RHD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Douglas and Ed, well stated.

Dave, you are doing an outstanding job on this 52 and the paint work is nothing short of spectacular.

Although I've never had the pleasure of having you work on my 53, I can think of four people in this hobby who I would allow work on my 53.

Four people that pays close attention to all the minutia, the intricate details that a Barndoor has to offer, and you are one of them.

Looking forward to the finished product.
********WANTED********
Whittier Lee Wood VW dealer license plate frame
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Even though he doesn't need me to defend him, i can say that the amount of documentation of everything he did and his manhours plus the photographs he took during the process of metal restoration/blending of the mango were amazing. And how he chose to squeeze the mango in even though he had a wait list and his craftsmanship on it are things i will never forget. I never posted pics of his work from start to finish as i wasn't sure he wanted me to but anyone interested can always p.m. me. I just looked at the file the other day and am still in awe.

Ok i digress. Back to the Deluxe updates!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Wow!

I'm sure many of you have felt the pangs that come from seeing a bus, the same colours as the restoration project you own, sitting in fresh paint.

My 23 has been sitting ready for paint for ten years now. Time to giddy up! (after I finish the mango, and fix the house, and that job for my dad and.....

Beautiful work, thanks for the inspiration. Very Happy
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Quit yaking and get this thing put back together😉 I want to see this bus finished, it is gonna be amazing!
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Oh and Merry Christmas to everyone that celebrates, cherish your families!
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate it!

The bus will be back from paint sometime next week and I'll check in then.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

super nice
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 19

Jump to: