Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1952 Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
what tires are those?

The tires are Goodyear, Deluxe All Weather, 6.00-16. Dick got them from Coker back in the '90s but I don't think they have them anymore?

Edit- Just googled them and looks like they are available from some other vendors.

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/600-16-Goodyear-Deluxe-All-Weather-Blackwall-CB7D9.htm
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Jesus, this bus is amazing! I'm always impressed with your skill and attention to detail.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Awesome, David !
Fully understand that you do not want to state any total hour figures, nor does your customer. You pretty much answered my question with the wet sanding hours. It just shows that if you do something right, it just takes time, and plenty of time, and then some more. I believe that with more experience over the years it takes longer, because we're getting more dilligent and fuzzy about small details with each new project. Great work! Loving the efforts on the trim. imho there could be nothing worse than poor fitting cheap aftermarket beltline trim on such a high quality build like this. Beautiful !

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

I'm finally done wet sanding the bus and all parts...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After some discussion with Matt about how to attack the paint, we decided I'd shoot the cargo floor before delivering it to him...

And the bus and all parts are loaded up and delivered to Deluxe Customs. It's in good hands!! Matt prefers base/clear but will shoot single stage as a favor for me. They won't sand and buff it, so I'll have to do that. They like to sand those Porsches REALLY flat and shiny and you can't always sand single stage that heavily. Their work is amazing but maybe too much for an early bus. I'm hoping to get away with a light sand and buff leaving some peel. I'm not sure if Matt and the crew approve, but they at least cooperate with me. Smile

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

loving the update!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

It's never easy asking a painter to not do their usual top work. You definitely did the right thing going for single stage paint, base and clear never looks right on an old vw.

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

x2! this is going to be great.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
It's never easy asking a painter to not do their usual top work. You definitely did the right thing going for single stage paint, base and clear never looks right on an old vw.

It really isn't. My best friend is the best painter I know and mostly shoots 2 stage so its not easy talking him into single stage but I really think single stage looks better with most old vw colors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

super work! Waiting patiently for the next update!

Trevor
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

oldbusboy wrote:
super work! Waiting patiently for the next update!

Trevor

Thanks! Here's a couple pics Matt sent from the booth...

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

In no way am I intending to criticize that work, but Im surprised the doors are masked instead of painting them all SWR then chestnut. Save on paint that way!!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

I believe that's how VW did it.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

sled wrote:
In no way am I intending to criticize that work, but Im surprised the doors are masked instead of painting them all SWR then chestnut. Save on paint that way!!

Easy there tiger Smile ...It would be a lot more time/labor to prep them for paint again than to mask them. We're not painting the entire top half of the bus red either and you could run the risk of the color being different where you have different undercoats. It has nothing to do with saving paint? Unfortunately, modern day higher end restoration work isn't always the same as the way these vehicles were mass produced in the past.
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

looks good, just out of curiasity what kind of paint are you using ? I am planning on buying my SWR single stage outside of California when I start on my undercarriage soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

rxBusboy wrote:
looks good, just out of curiasity what kind of paint are you using ? I am planning on buying my SWR single stage outside of California when I start on my undercarriage soon.

The paint brand is ProSpray. I'm not that familiar with it but Matt has used it for a long time and likes it. It's a European brand and many of the older VW and Porsche codes come up and are usually pretty close.

https://prosprayfinishes.com/en/index.html
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

sled wrote:
exactly.
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
sled wrote:

Easy there tiger Smile ...It would be a lot more time/labor to prep them for paint again than to mask them. We're not painting the entire top half of the bus red either and you could run the risk of the color being different where you have different undercoats. It has nothing to do with saving paint? Unfortunately, modern day higher end restoration work isn't always the same as the way these vehicles were mass produced in the past.
wouldnt you do a color match of the chestnut on the swr before you spray it anyhow?i think this caliber bus needs to be solid SWR then chestnut sprayed over the top of swr,
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
DSweinhagen wrote:
sled wrote:

wouldnt you do a color match of the chestnut on the swr before you spray it anyhow?i think this caliber bus needs to be solid SWR then chestnut sprayed over the top of swr,

Why? This would add substantial cost with the end result being exactly the same. If a customer insisted on it, fine. Otherwise, I'm not into wasting peoples time and money where it's not necessary.

Modern paints and primers also have a much higher build, and too much material isn't a good thing.
matteo52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Andre
Can’t wait to see your 52 deluxe painted swr and then brown over the top..
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

All the parts are done and I've picked them up and started sanding and buffing. The bus should be done next week. I don't know... For not being painted "correctly" looks like it will be okay.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 19

Jump to: