Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 stock won't stay at idle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

One day I started her up and we were idling for a minute and she stalled out. I haven't been able to start it since. It will start briefly with gas then stalls.

Stock engine 1600, carburetor 34 pict 3, and distributor.
New fuel pump, plugs, starter, ignition switch, carb adjustment, points are set, timing is set, new boot on intake manifold (suspected vacuum leak) and battery is good.
I'm only getting 10.48 V to carb solenoid. Got a new one and it tested the same.
Vacuum leak?
carb rebuild?
Distributor issue?

Thanks for the advice
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Were all those new parts thrown at it after the issue arose?, or was it running OK before this came up?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

A little of both...now I'm checking for spark on wire from cool to distributor. Looks like a weak spark
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

"busdaddy" is a real awesome troubleshooter and has helped me in the past. A good troubleshooter gets all the information he can find easily first. So if you know what exactly you changed before the problem and what exactly you changed after the problem that would help a lot. Also how long did it set etc.. any different gas used, got it out and got gas for the first time in a year or two.. Did you wash the engine and put the car away wet? . etc. Otherwise we got to go back to basics. Air, Fuel, Spark!
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Coil's on it's way out maybe??? Being that you're only getting 10+ volts at the idle cut-off solenoid (I bet that's what the choke element is getting also) you may wanna check to see what the coil is putting out. You mentioned weak spark. All the symptoms of a weak coil. Check your battery voltage as well. It should be putting out almost 13.5- 14 volts max with the engine running, about 12.8 with the engine shut down and not running. I may have a few of the #'s wrong and I may not be right about the coil, but you might wanna check the coil anyway. What type manufacturer and how old is it???
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Points are set, getting good spark from coil, spark plugs are new and gapped correctly, fuel pump functions, but she still won't start.
Engine rotates but won't start.
What do I check next?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for advice
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Points are set, getting good spark from coil, spark plugs are new and gapped correctly, fuel pump functions, but she still won't start.
Engine rotates but won't start.
What do I check next?

Thanks for advice
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

2 second shot of ether into carb, and see if it kicks.

That will isolate spark from fuel problem.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

With a mirror, look down the throat of the carb while pumping the throttle. If the accelerator pump is working and you have gas in the bowl you will see a stream of gas. If not look at carb issue. Are you missing a nut on your fuel pump?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
2 second shot of ether into carb, and see if it kicks.

That will isolate spark from fuel problem.

Not if it's horribly flooded.

I'd remove a plug and look at it, wet and shiny?, or dry?. Then I'd stick it in the end of the plug wire and crank to confirm spark is making it all the way to the plugs.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Now I've got no fuel pumping.
I have spark from coil and from spark plug wires. Sparks good but no fuel.
Steel gas line is fine headed to tank but very loose connection, to hose into tank, that is slightly torn. Do I replace that line?
Is there possibly something wrong with vacuum advance?
Thanks for help
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

mjhale wrote:
very loose connection, to hose into tank, that is slightly torn. Do I replace that line?

do you like watching big bonfires? Yes replace that line and while you are at it put the fuel filter in it instead of between the pump and carb.

I suspect you won't have to drain any gas before removing that line Wink but just incase disconnect the battery and have at least 2 5 gallon jerry cans ready as well as a funnel to catch what's in the tank when you cut that line.

Слава Україні!
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

I like bonfires but not with my bus in the middle...got it.

Do you have a good "how to" video or other reference?

At first look, I have not found how long that steel gas line is. Can I just pull it out and bend it? Will the rubber hose just pull out too? Do I just cut the fuel line, pull lines out of tank and replace them? Is there more to it?

You mentioned moving the filter there instead of between pump and carb. Why?

Thank you
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

I'll follow this procedure

https://ben.lobaugh.net/blog/166/how-to-replace-the-fuel-line-on-a-vw-bus
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Keeping all your related problems in one thread makes it easier to follow along and help diagnose.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673777
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

So I checked the fuel pump again and it's pumping gas. Engine started and ran with a little gas pedal but then stalled at idle. Not enough gas? Tune the carb? Change the lines?

The braided rubber on the steel gas line at the fire wall is ripped and I'll replace.
The intermittent flow of gas indicates contaminants in the line?

Possible vacuum leak?

Thanks for helping
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Pull the carb off and see how much crap is in it, clean it out, check fuel bowl and float, accelerator pump.

Your voltage at the solenoid is way too low. It should be the same as the battery voltage with the key on.
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

I'll remove and address carb issues. Thanks

As for low voltage at solenoid....follow that line to find source if dropped voltage?

I'll check voltage at choke too.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Yes, start testing at the coil, then if it's the same low voltage suspect that new ignition switch.

Слава Україні!
Kaput
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

My 34 Pict 3 Doesn't like to idle correctly unless I turn the pilot jet out 1/4 turn. I also had this problem on my old bus with the same solution.

I put loctite on mine at the quarter turn position.

May not be it but worth a shot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: