Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses? Reply with quote

Hey All,

I just replaced my ball joints on my 1971 Bus and its clear I need an alignment. I called a local alignment shop and they said they don't work on my bus. Have you guys run into this? Is it just hit and miss, so just keep calling around or?

Thanks for the guidance...

P
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671945&highlight=

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses? Reply with quote

Call around to your local air cooled VW shops. They know who still understands how to align our VW's and can direct you to them.

Usually the big chain repair shops have no clue, it's the old school frame and alignment shops that do.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Call around to your local air cooled VW shops. They know who still understands how to align our VW's and can direct you to them.

Usually the big chain repair shops have no clue, it's the old school frame and alignment shops that do.

Thanks brother. I live in a smaller town north of Seattle so I will call around to my smaller local shops. You are right, the large chains are dumb founded.

P

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses? Reply with quote

Hi. Why not contact this well respected member who additionally is a shop owner?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6319

Hope this helps, Bill
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses? Reply with quote

I havent tried it myself, and there arent really any aircooled shops up here in rustland, but i was told that the VW dealership can do it. I havent called and sked myself though, but supposedly they still have all the specs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses? Reply with quote

I had a local, small alignment shop do mine after changing my ball joints and installing a lowered/narrowed beam. They didn't hesitate or have any problems with my '70 and I was in and out in a half hour. Well worth the $40. Guess you just have to find the right shop, and I did.
If you want to come all the way down to Vancouver, here, I'll get you their name. Wink
(Alignment and Brake Specialties on St Johns) Cool

-dasdachshund
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses? Reply with quote

As said above, check your local VW dealership if you can't find an old school shop near you.
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses? Reply with quote

Thanks All,

After some calling around and asking places who will work on a 71 bus, I have my old school shop here in Bellingham WA. It just takes some dialing and talking.

Cheers,

P
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses? Reply with quote

Nice bus!!!
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Shops - Do they Work on Our Buses? Reply with quote

I have never had my VWs "professionaly" aligned. I marked my latest bus ball joint eccentric rings before disassembly and have a 1/4 inch toe in difference between the rear of the tire and front. It does not wear on the tires and drives straight without wind. Lowered 5 inches as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: