Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fire on only one cylinder
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sipndiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Fire on only one cylinder Reply with quote

1982 Black Tie Rabbit, 4 door silver, 1.7L Gas FI, Breakerless Transistorized Ignition.

I have recently been having problems with my rabbit starting sometimes but then it will just stop for no apparent reason. Now it has stopped for good. I checked the plugs today and only cylinder 3 has fire? I have replaced the coil and the ignition module. I have also replaced the distributor cap and rotor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can pick up another distributor, but I want to make sure this is the problem before I drop $180.

Thanks
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire on only one cylinder Reply with quote

Did you accidentally switch the cool wire to one of the outside terminals on the cap & the wire to # 3 to the center of the cap?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sipndiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire on only one cylinder Reply with quote

No, the wires are colored different. I just don't understand why only one cylinder would be firing. I did look at the distributor and it is still attached firmly to the engine, no inadvertent rotation. I also switched around the spark plugs and tried different plugs and the only wire where I could get any fire for any plug was the #3 wire.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fire on only one cylinder Reply with quote

Then see if that wire has spark when installed in the other three terminals on the cap, if so, you need a wire set. If not, you need a Cap & rotor, if the cap & rotor aren't the Bosch orangeish/brown, that could also be the problem. the shitty grey ones from Pepboys are good for about 300 miles & the equally crappy black ones from Autozone are good for about 500.

If its not that, did you change the distributor? If you got a later style, the trigger ring for the Hall sensor only has one opening in it vs 4 for the earlier style.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: