Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Later "dished" FI Type 1 cams
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Later "dished" FI Type 1 cams Reply with quote

I've looked through here with no definitive results and Google searched as well. I'm sure there are cam specs out there somewhere, but I can't find them.

My question is: Did VW change the lobe specs for the later FI Type 1 cams or are they the same as the carbureted cams?

Also, was the dished gear to allow for a deeper oil pump for more oil volume?

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Later "dished" FI Type 1 cams Reply with quote

On the type 1 (and the type 3), as far as I know, there was only ever 1 cam, for all engines, from the 1300 onwards. 1200 cam is slightly different.

As for the dished cam, yes, they used a larger pump and the oil galleys are larger, and with dual relief. I don't think all of the changes came at once, the larger galleys are from 1600-on, while the dished cam came 71? or so?

Others who now better will chime in.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Later "dished" FI Type 1 cams Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
On the type 1 (and the type 3), as far as I know, there was only ever 1 cam, for all engines, from the 1300 onwards. 1200 cam is slightly different.

As for the dished cam, yes, they used a larger pump and the oil galleys are larger, and with dual relief. I don't think all of the changes came at once, the larger galleys are from 1600-on, while the dished cam came 71? or so?

Others who now better will chime in.

As far ss I "have been told"....by people who work on far more type 1s than I ever have......the basic carbed type 1 cam is "supposed" to be the same as the type 3 cam.

However......when I ask....most people only quote details like lifts and duration. They do not always have information on cam timing.

The posted specs....vary depending on who is posting them. For instance......if you look in Haynes for type 3.....cam timing is posted. And that information is important to the D-jet fuel injection system used. That same cam will work just fine with factory twin carbs because the carbs do not care about intake valve timing.

And then you have timing specs listed for "stock" type 1 cam from Web Cam......which are different from what Haynes lists for type 3 with injection. Not a huge amount....but different enough.

You also did not mention which injection you mean. If you are speaking of the injection used on super beetle.....thats L-jet. It does not require very much from the cam other than the lobe center being between about 106° to 108°....because all of its injectors fire at the same time.

Wish I could be more help.

The statement that there has always only been one cam for type 1 and type 3.....I hear all the time. I have no reason to say that is incorrect.....however.....the question is....are they saying they are all the same cam simply based on lift and duration?....which they very well could all be the same......but may be very different cams based on valve timing and subtle changes like you are asking about like lobe shape and ramp sharpness. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Later "dished" FI Type 1 cams Reply with quote

I'm assembling a 1600 DP from accumulated parts due to a budget constraint. I'm trying to stay as "stock" as possible for reliability but using a dual relief case, dual port heads and a Solex 34pict for maximum factory power.

I have a good stock dished cam from a 1979 Beetle...that's all the info that came with it. I was just trying to make sure it wouldn't be a problem with a carburetor.

With all this in mind, I don't have a distributor yet...what would a good one to look for with this cam and carb set-up?

1956 Oval build thread

1967 Beetle Restoration
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Later "dished" FI Type 1 cams Reply with quote

Fifty-Eight Rag wrote:
I'm assembling a 1600 DP from accumulated parts due to a budget constraint. I'm trying to stay as "stock" as possible for reliability but using a dual relief case, dual port heads and a Solex 34pict for maximum factory power.

I have a good stock dished cam from a 1979 Beetle...that's all the info that came with it. I was just trying to make sure it wouldn't be a problem with a carburetor.

With all this in mind, I don't have a distributor yet...what would a good one to look for with this cam and carb set-up?

That cam will be no problem with the carb. I have installed early single carb systems on 1977-1979 beetle engines after the owners screwed up or removed teh injection and they run fine. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Later "dished" FI Type 1 cams Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Fifty-Eight Rag wrote:

That cam will be no problem with the carb. I have installed early single carb systems on 1977-1979 beetle engines after the owners screwed up or removed teh injection and they run fine. Ray

Still running the FI distributor? Or did you swap?

1956 Oval build thread

1967 Beetle Restoration
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Later "dished" FI Type 1 cams Reply with quote

I think there was only ever one part number for the cam, that's why I think there was only one cam. Experts?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Later "dished" FI Type 1 cams Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
I think there was only ever one part number for the cam, that's why I think there was only one cam. Experts?

Correct.
The only change came with the CT and Brazil hydraulic cams.

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: