Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Beetle starter
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: 1973 Beetle starter Reply with quote

I am changing my starter, and when I pulled the old one out, it has oil on the "face" of it. Is that indicative of a rear main seal needing to be replaced?

Also, there are three wires going to the starter - a red with white wire, solid red and thick black. The red w/white has a ring terminal that was bolted to it, the other two had no connectors and I don't know where they would be connected or what kind of connectors they had on them. I don't see the other end (the crimped connector) of the wire on the starter. I would have thought it would have been a female spade on the red wire and the black wire, but I don't see evidence of them on the starter or the ground underneath where the car was parked. Sorry no pictures, but will try to get some if it helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle starter Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
I am changing my starter, and when I pulled the old one out, it has oil on the "face" of it. Is that indicative of a rear main seal needing to be replaced?

Also, there are three wires going to the starter - a red with white wire, solid red and thick black. The red w/white has a ring terminal that was bolted to it, the other two had no connectors and I don't know where they would be connected or what kind of connectors they had on them. I don't see the other end (the crimped connector) of the wire on the starter. I would have thought it would have been a female spade on the red wire and the black wire, but I don't see evidence of them on the starter or the ground underneath where the car was parked. Sorry no pictures, but will try to get some if it helps.

In theory there should be no oil in the bellhousing. Sources of oil in the bellhousing would be either from leaking front main seal on engine or input shaft seal on transmission, or crack in crankcase. Is it engine oil or gear oil? The smell will tell you.

That said I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's leaking a lot of oil from that area. If it springs a massive leak it can foul the clutch and cause clutch slippage

Wiring diagrams are available up above but

The thickest wire, the black one, should have a ring terminal on it. It connects to terminal 30 on the solenoid - that's power direct from the battery for the starter motor.

The solid red wire is the one from the ignition switch. That connects to terminal 50 on the solenoid, should have a regular female spade push-on terminal on it.

The red/white was for the obsolete VW diagnostic system, you can leave it disconnected or remove it.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle starter Reply with quote

Perfect. The car has been sitting for a couple of years in a cocoon/cover, so it's been a while since it ran. I'm trying to get all the maintenance stuff done and see if I can get her running again in the next few days. I looked at the wiring diagram a few times before posting, and of course right after I posted I realized the black wire needs to be connected to terminal 30. Not sure how this worked before, because I can find no ring terminal nor anything near it. Odd. Thanks! Hopefully I get her running today. Valves adjusted, oil changed and brakes tested. Now all I need is the starter replaced and I'll be set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle starter Reply with quote

Be a good time to check engine end play. Shim if too much play, if ignored things will just get worse, and worse. More and more oil will leak. Can even damage the engine case with too much end play, to the point case might not be rebuildable.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle starter Reply with quote

Thanks all. Got the bug fired up and running once I realized that the large cable to the starter was sandwiched in between two washers to terminal 30, rather than a ring terminal. Got one crimped on the cable and she fired right up.

Checked end play and found none. Now to get the factory air cleaner put back on after running a small chrome round thing on there.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle starter Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:

Checked end play and found none. Now to get the factory air cleaner put back on after running a small chrome round thing on there.

You have to have some end play or the engine will seize up. Are you using a dial indicator or at least a feeler gauge set up?
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle starter Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

You have to have some end play or the engine will seize up. Are you using a dial indicator or at least a feeler gauge set up?

Good point - I should have said "within spec." It's at .004" with a feeler gauge.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle starter Reply with quote

Good, just wanted to make sure!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: