Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Solar/ACR install with pics (Yes, another one)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windex_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Solar/ACR install with pics (Yes, another one) Reply with quote

I just wanted to share this with the community. I hopes that it might help someone with their install. I spent so much time trying to figure out exactly how to do the install the way I wanted to that I actually put the install off for 3 months because I was sick of thinking about it.

In the end I probably 100+ tabs opened across 10 or more websites and had a few PMs back and forth with a VERY helpful Samba member: thatvwbusguy.

I wanted to run everything as discreetly as possible; I didn't want the wires running down the back then under the hatch, down the side into the vent, or through the actual top itself. If anyone ever sleeps up there I never wanted to hear "Oops!"

The pictures will explain most of the install itself.

Here is a parts list of everything I used. (minus cables, terminals, and screws)

Yakima 1A towers w/ 66" round bars
Yakima Artificial Gutters
Yakima Loadstops (What I secured the panels to the round bar with)
1.25" Aluminum angle to marry the 2 panels together
Renogy 200w Eclipse Kit (Panels, MPPT, Trace Meter, Wires, Fuses)
Blue Sea 5029 Fuse Block
Blue Sea 7610 SI-ACR
Blue Sea 7720 AMI/MIDI Fuse Block
Blue Sea 80a MIDI fuse
Trojan XHS30 130AH Battery
Xantrex 1000w Inverter

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found that running the wires over the hinge was the best way to keep them from being pinched by the hinge. Piece of advice, be smarter than me if you go this route; run the wires behind the hinge right after putting them through the poptop. I ran them into the van before I realized it could be a problem and had to squeeze the wires between the canvas rails and hinge. It was a P.I.T.A.

Getting the wires through the hole up top was as easy enlarging with a step bit, dropping a string with a nut tied at the end, attaching the wires to the string with a crapload of tape, and pulling it back up.

I live in Los Angeles, I figured the fan couldn't hurt if it ever gets too hot over the summer Rolling Eyes .

I drilled hole as well as one within the wall to run the wire for my trace meter. I later used a step bit to enlarge the hole.

I used a 1/2" drill-bit many times and a Dremel to make the 3" hole to flat mount my trace-meter. My cupholder was broken anyway.

Removing my broken rear heater opened up an easy access point to run the wire for my ACR.

This is the set up as it is now, I'm sure I'll be changing or cleaning things up in the future.

With the added weight, the GoWesty dampers are a life saver

Thanks for looking!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Solar/ACR install with pics (Yes, another one) Reply with quote

That is the best wire routing from the roof top solar I've yet seen on Thesamba!

I'm definitely revising my system to follow that routing. I'm presently just going thru the rear engine intakes but it messy and needs loose cable for when the top is opened.

Great post thanks!
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Solar/ACR install with pics (Yes, another one) Reply with quote

Great install.

Cool H1 in the background too.

I want to mount my panel on the roof, but have a tintop. The most obvious way is to drop the wires down through the vent or hatch, but it's a long run to where I've mounted the charge controller under the driver's seat...

Any idea how to turn the display off? The backlight on mine is always on and it's annoying when sleeping in the van.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Solar/ACR install with pics (Yes, another one) Reply with quote

Nice work! +1H1
VanAllen_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Solar/ACR install with pics (Yes, another one) Reply with quote

Wow! Nice work!

I think I will have to come knocking on your door for some help once I am ready to start on this project.

Thanks for sharing!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Solar/ACR install with pics (Yes, another one) Reply with quote

Nice work! I did mine very similarly. That channel behind the hinge is perfect, like it was made for a wire run. Even fishing the wires through is a tight fit at the back corner though.

I also added a loom clamp inside the back to hold the cable, then fished it through the defroster wire hole above the cabinet.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
afmercure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Solar/ACR install with pics (Yes, another one) Reply with quote

Very nice setup!

I notice you did not use the optional "start isolation" connection. Do you know if the batteries are still automatically isolated while cranking the engine?
It's not clear to me what protection that optional connection adds.

Thanks!
Jcbabin66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Solar/ACR install with pics (Yes, another one) Reply with quote

Great job!
I'm in the process right of doing something similar. I really wish you had a better picture of the attachment gismo between panel and Yakima bars.
Thanks
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Solar/ACR install with pics (Yes, another one) Reply with quote

Jcbabin66 wrote:
Great job!
I'm in the process right of doing something similar. I really wish you had a better picture of the attachment gismo between panel and Yakima bars.
Thanks

I believe he used Yakima Loadstops.

http://www.roadracks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/yakima-load-stops-450x506.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: