Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Actually, I would feel bad using up a NLA part on a *almost* worthless distributor.

When it comes to the 40hp Big Cap, 99% are used on restored cars. And the owners don't consider them worthless. In fact most want NOS parts and want it to look/work like new and are willing to pay for it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Im building a 205M that I dug out of the scrap pile and was rusted/pact with dirt. Sorry I forgot to state that. Not a big cap. I think the big caps look nice. How's the curve on those? I think I saw a few at the Pomona swap meet. Maybe I'll pick one up.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

I've recently started doing the SVA from the late 60s and your 205M is identical to the 205T I just did.

While not the same demand as a 010, but still, there are people out there using them in stock applications.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

The body looks like new on that one. Do you media blast it? What do you use to replace the wool inside the shaft?
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

I clean mine in hot lemon juice and then finish with fine steel wool. The felt inside the shaft does not need to be removed or replaced. It's purpose is to hold oil and lubricate the shaft it does not receive much wear and its working environment is a pretty good preservative. I've seen the housings media blasted wich leaves them with a rough finish and painted which peels quickly.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Im building a 205M that I dug out of the scrap pile and was rusted/pact with dirt. Sorry I forgot to state that. Not a big cap. I think the big caps look nice. How's the curve on those? I think I saw a few at the Pomona swap meet. Maybe I'll pick one up.

The 205K, M and T SVA distributors work great after being torn down, cleaned and restored. I much prefer them over a German 009. After 50 years, these SVA's need to be disassembled to remove the dirt, grime and old hard grease. You can still source NOS or new vacuum cans for them as well. They are pretty simple to restore too vs. an 034 or DVDA.

I was at the Bugorama in Phoenix on Sunday. Going through the swaps, I must have seen hundreds of these SVA's there in buckets, baskets and boxes. I also saw tons of used German 009's as well. The 205K, M and T's are exceptionally plentiful.

If folks running 009's only knew how much better their VW would drive with a restored SVA and 30 series carb, they'd get one.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

The felt in mine isn't in the best shape. It's kinda tearing and falling apart. More of a concern is debris imbedded in the wool and acting as an abrasive against the shaft. I tried cleaning it carefully with soap and water but it's fragile so I was looking for a replacement of some kind.

I'm sure I can source another distributor core, but I like taking old parts and seeing if they can be made to work again. This is after all a hobby for me. I'm not looking to make a side job restoring these to propose spec and selling them off to people restoring their cars back to original. There are a few of you guys that perform this task already and know your stuff.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

And I agree about the 205 and a pict30. Had this setup on a 1500 single port once, and it ran much smoother than my 1600 with a pict34 and a German 009. Maybe not as much power at WOT, but definitely smoother throughout the powerband. I even thought about installing that combo on my 1600 with the adapter just as an experiment, but never got around to it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
The felt in mine isn't in the best shape. It's kinda tearing and falling apart. More of a concern is debris imbedded in the wool and acting as an abrasive against the shaft. I tried cleaning it carefully with soap and water but it's fragile so I was looking for a replacement of some kind.

The main shafts in those SVA's are a very HARD metal and it would take a lot for them to be damaged by any debris the distributor could of picked up in the felt. If you flush it out and pick the bigger pieces out, you'll be fine. I've taken apart some absolutely filthy, nasty, rusty SVA's. They had clearly been run on engines that drove lots of dirt roads and sucked the dirt inside the distributor. Hell, maybe they were run on a dune buggy. The shafts looked perfect on them. The pivot plates and other internal parts? Not so much. They were un-rebuildable Very Happy

I can't recall anyone selling the felt but you could check with the online classic Porsche parts sellers. The sell some parts for the old Bosch distributors.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Well anything with the P word means $$$$. For a proper rebuild, it might be worth looking there. I'll probably just clean this one the best I can get it, discard the pieces that are falling off the edges, and re-oil and install. I'm sure with the non-bosch fiber washers I'm planning on using , there will be plenty of oil leaking up the shaft for oiling Laughing
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I'm sure with the non-bosch fiber washers I'm planning on using , there will be plenty of oil leaking up the shaft for oiling Laughing

Nah, look at the distributor shaft below the main plate when you have it out of the body of the distributor. See the grooves cut into it at an angle? That's to help push the oil back down. It like what the grooves on the crankshaft front pulley do.

I've rebuilt several used distributors that came out of running engines for folks. They were missing the bottom fiber washer completely and the upper was in pieces. Guess how much oil was inside the distributor? NONE..

Bosch called those fiber washers "spacer washers", not sealing washers.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Bosch called those fiber washers "spacer washers", not sealing washers.

I've never seen them called "spacer" or "sealing" washer, just described as fiber washer.

I've rebuilt hundreds of distributors that had the bottom fiber washer missing. And all had grease, gunk and oil in the bottom.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Well anything with the P word means $$$$.

I would agree for the most part, but it would be worth a try...you never know.
I just had to locate some B brake parts and was surprised at the price of some parts.... Shop around, there are some deals out there....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Well I got my receipt from McMaster Carr for the washers linked to above. More for the shipping than the cost. But at slightly less than 10 bucks total it's worth a shot. Plus they come in a lot of 100 so if they look like they might work, I could pass some around.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

The lubrication felt was available as replacement, but as most Bosch ignition parts out of production and harder to find/ more expensive. I was thinking of buying a sheet of industrial grade oil felt and cutting my own, but considering most oil felts in the distributor still going strong after 50 years of use, if you need to replace it and with the original Bosch part are set another 50 years or so - the cost was not really that bad Very Happy
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
The lubrication felt was available as replacement, but as most Bosch ignition parts out of production and harder to find/ more expensive. I was thinking of buying a sheet of industrial grade oil felt and cutting my own, but considering most oil felts in the distributor still going strong after 50 years of use, if you need to replace it and with the original Bosch part are set another 50 years or so - the cost was not really that bad Very Happy

SO.. why hide the part number? Think

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

He's not the only one that does that...

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
He's not the only one that does that...

Oh I know and also who you're referring too.

Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

It was a misstake, I wanted to show the felt inside of the bag. What's the meaning of hiding a partnumber? Every little screw in Bosch equipment has one and it's not a secret or that hard to find. The hard part is to find the part in real life. You have to find a dealer that has some old stock left, but it's also a bit of fun with the treasure hunt Wink
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Repair Kit for rebuilding Bosch 40HP Distributor ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the part number. Some folks hide the hard to find Bosch parts numbers for whatever reason.

I agree, it's is fun searching/looking for these long time NOS parts. Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: