Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

Antone got one they can measure?

Putting the Passat V6 028117021E oil cooler on my AAZ, but before I take it apart, what length does the union bolt need to be?

I believe I need the longer extension 028115721B, but want to measurethe one I ordered to make sure it wll fit.

Thanks.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

Use the pipe from the V6, I did this on our tdi. Plug and play!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

To put in the larger Passat oil cooler I need the longer threaded rod, but the question is, how long is it? I ordered one that was described to fit the cooler, but it looks like it is too short:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The pipe as shown in position measures 85mm, but barely offers enough thread to screw into anything. There is no part number on the pipe to identify it. I also searched the internet for a length but none was found.

So the question remains, how long should the V6 passat oil cooler tube be?

Addenda:
I guess now I’m getting confused. The cooler I got, allegedly part # 028117021E, feature a plastic baffle inside (028117070B) that apparently directs the oil flow:

Did I get the right part? Is there also an o-ring that seals the cooler to the mount? Can I run this cooler on my AAZ?
tkic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

Unfortunately i'm unable to help with specific part numbers, but after installing the taller V6 passat heat exchanger on my 1.6td i was still seeing temps up to 240/250 on the interstate. I added a cheap ebay sandwich plate and air/oil cooler in the D pillar and haven't seen over 220 since. If i were to do it again i'd go straight for the sandwich plate cooler first.
bryanbelman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

Hello, I am seeing temps of 255-260 in my AAZ, I also have the Passat oil cooler, so I am going to need to install the sandwich plate setup I got from Summit Racing and air/oil cooler from an old dune buggy or something.

What type of hose should I use?

I still have my battery in stock 82 diesel location, was planning on putting it in the D pillar behind the battery or above the transmission. Which do most prefer?

Thanks
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

Here are a couple good reads. I remember one had part numbers.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7922733&highlight=sandwich#7922733

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

bryanbelman wrote:
Hello, I am seeing temps of 255-260 in my AAZ, I also have the Passat oil cooler, so I am going to need to install the sandwich plate setup I got from Summit Racing and air/oil cooler from an old dune buggy or something.

I still have my battery in stock 82 diesel location, was planning on putting it in the D pillar behind the battery or above the transmission. Which do most prefer?

Thanks

In front of watercooler.
Install the sandwich plate before the stock cooler.
Connect the out line of stock cooler with the back tube from front heater, using a T conector instead the original I plastic connector.
This way the hot oil will dont heat your water up before going through your oil cooler. And the water heats up the oil faster.
cawvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:

Addenda:
I guess now I’m getting confused. The cooler I got, allegedly part # 028117021E, feature a plastic baffle inside (028117070B) that apparently directs the oil flow:

Did I get the right part? Is there also an o-ring that seals the cooler to the mount? Can I run this cooler on my AAZ?

Hey Gnarlodious,
resurrecting an old thread here, but
I too just got one of these larger V6/passat oil coolers (028117021E, and the threaded rod 028115721B) and found that plastic baffle you have pictured above. I almost tossed it away thinking it was just a piece of packaging, but then I realized that it is the O-ring, integrated into the disc-shaped part.
Are people installing this plastic baffle just as it comes? I had a great temptation to modify it because of how much it looked like it would inhibit oil flow through the cooler. The two long plastic tubes on the sides of it had a narrow slit in one, and just a small hole in the other, in an imprecise-seeming, asymmetrical molding. I talked myself out of cutting them, deciding "maybe it's for a flow-directing reason that I'm unaware of" But I'm still wondering about it because after the install, I'm not seeing temps all that different from what my stock AHU cooler did.
What did you end up doing with your oil cooler?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

bryanbelman wrote:

Thanks

i removed my oil warmer plate entirely, and replaced it with a thermostatic plate and an air/air cooler in the pillar (the vanistan kit).
oil temps never get above ~180F no matter how hard im charging and the little fan on the cooler works great in slow traffic.

/tangent Razz

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

cawvin wrote:
"maybe it's for a flow-directing reason that I'm unaware of"
That’s exactly right. Apparently due to the difficulty or imprecision of metal forming they employ an insertable plastic distributor to ensure the oil comes in contact with the heat exchanger. I determined this after some examination. I recall that the baffle was broken in some way when I got it but that a replacement from the VW dealer was cheap enough. Seems like it is a routine replacement whenever you have it apart. It has been working just fine for 4 years! At the same time I rerouted my coolant tubing to the TDi setup, which there is a post somewhere with a diagram for it. Also note that it helped significantly lower my oil temps when I put on a 2˝“ exhaust, especially noticeable when climbing a long mountain pass in thin air.

Fo anyone considering this mod, the used Passat unit I bought from eBay has never leaked at the seam, while apparently the cheaper aftermarket new ones are less reliable.
cawvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
cawvin wrote:
"maybe it's for a flow-directing reason that I'm unaware of"
That’s exactly right. Apparently due to the difficulty or imprecision of metal forming they employ an insertable plastic distributor to ensure the oil comes in contact with the heat exchanger. I determined this after some examination. I recall that the baffle was broken in some way when I got it but that a replacement from the VW dealer was cheap enough. Seems like it is a routine replacement whenever you have it apart. It has been working just fine for 4 years! At the same time I rerouted my coolant tubing to the TDi setup, which there is a post somewhere with a diagram for it.

Awesome, thanks. Maybe I’ll get a genuine plastic baffle from VW just to see how it looks. Mine looked very weird, should’ve taken a picture. I think I will do that coolant plumbing re-work as well, seems to have helped people in conjunction with this larger cooler swap. Question about it though, does it keep your oil “too cold” in cold start situations? By always flowing it through the cooler? Wondering about winter driving, getting up to operating temp.
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

Does anyone have the VW part number? I think I threw this plastic baffle away when I installed my oil cooler (but the van hasn't been fired up yet...)
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

im not seeing it separately in the parts drawing..

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
cawvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel oil cooler upgrade, length of threaded pipe Reply with quote

pjn_wyo wrote:
Does anyone have the VW part number? I think I threw this plastic baffle away when I installed my oil cooler (but the van hasn't been fired up yet...)

I believe the baffle is 028117070B
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: