Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for Sports Bug Stripe kit?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geworthomd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for Sports Bug Stripe kit? Reply with quote

early wrote:
steve from Beaverstripes can set you up. send an email to them referring to sport bug stripe and they will get back to you with price & shipping. they have made the kit from an original set. I just put them on this week. cheers..

Gosh guys, Beaver Stripes “Michael” is just not worth the trouble as other users wrote. He is a real DB. If anyone has another Sports Bug then please let me know
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Source for Sports Bug Stripe kit? Reply with quote

Just thought I would let you in on a "secret sauce" I have used for many a decal / window tint job. Put about 3 drops of baby shampoo ( the amber kind ) in a 32 oz spray bottle & fill with distilled water. Shake well but let it sit overnite.

Spray body liberally after taping decal in place ( lift decal ). As you work your way peeling decal from the liner, spray the decal too. This will allow you to manipulate the decal where you need it to be. Use a good quality squeegee, a tan Bondo spreader from Wally-world, or a clean plastic putty knife ... be careful with this & don't use too much force or you could end up damaging the decal but it can be used. Squeegee from the center & work out ... both horizontally & vertically. Reapply secret sauce to decal as you work out the solution & air bubbles.

I use two pieces of tape on either side of decal. When you pull the tape away from each other, it will easily separate.

Take your time, measure precisely, & don't apply to a hot surface. Hope this helps !

Good luck with your project ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
onezero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for Sports Bug Stripe kit? Reply with quote

Hey Early,
Just got my Sports Bug stripes from Beaver Stripes and read through your installation post. I am just waiting for some warm and dry weather to put them on.
These will be the biggest decals I have ever put on anything. A bit worried they will stick on wrong and I can't adjust.

How did you peel the backing off without it sticking on wrong? Did you peel the backing while it was still taped to the body?

The original stipe had cutouts for each moulding clip and the rear vent was cut out ( i have an original VW Sports Bug stripe kit in black and white but it is in rough shape that I have been referencing).

Thanks
Shawn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for Sports Bug Stripe kit? Reply with quote

steve from Beaverstripes can set you up. send an email to them referring to sport bug stripe and they will get back to you with price & shipping. they have made the kit from an original set. I just put them on this week. cheers..
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
onezero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Source for Sports Bug Stripe kit? Reply with quote

Ok--cool. Thanks for the info.
I guess the technology has advanced in graphics!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Source for Sports Bug Stripe kit? Reply with quote

Shawn, Can't help ya with a source. But if you have a custom decal shop locally, maybe they can duplicate your stripe kit.
We have a guy here that does that. He attends some of the car shows in the area and makes decals on the spot.
Oh and he has by far the most hideous BAJA I have ever laid eyes on.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
onezero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Source for Sports Bug Stripe kit? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am looking for a good source for the Sports Bug Stripe Kit (red/black).
I know it has been reproduced. Anyone know the source or has tried these kits and how they apply etc?

Thanks,
Shawn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: