Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 front brake drum issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: 1968 front brake drum issues Reply with quote

I am at a total loss here. I have an operator error moment here but I can't figure out what I have / am doing wrong.

replaced the brake hardware, including shoes. Installed all new bearings / races, and seals. everything...

when i slide the front drum into place, it is getting hung up by the back of the axle shaft. It's not rubbing on any brake shoes, or hardware. i can push the drum on as far as it goes, and easily spin it by hand and it's quiet. no grinding. I have wiped the axle shaft clean, slid the drum into place until it stops, looked at the axle and see grease from where it has come into contact with the inner bearings / race. what am i missing here?

i went over to the passenger side where i have yet to replace bearings / races. slid that wheel back into place, and the same thing. It will not slide into place, it's getting hung up at the same spot.

i'd say it's leaving me about a half inch short of where it needs to be.

Here is a picture of where my issue is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 front brake drum issues Reply with quote

and i say there is an issue cause once i push the drum on as far as it can go, it wobbles really bad. like its not fully seated. i wish i can take a video or picture of the back side while doing this, but obviously impossible.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 front brake drum issues Reply with quote

If I understand your description correctly, it sounds like a PO replaced the spindles with '66 or earlier spindles, which have a slightly smaller diameter. Easiest way to verify this is to slip the new bearings on and compare the fit to the old bearings that do fit properly. To remedy the problem you'll need to get bearings and grease seals for the earlier spindles.

On the other hand, if you are saying that the drum will not seat all the way back on the spindle, then it sounds like you have later spindles, but your new bearings and grease seals are for earlier spindles. The I.D. of the older bearings is smaller than the diameter of the newer spindles, so won't slide all the way on.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 front brake drum issues Reply with quote

i have the drum off on the passenger side of the car as well. i have not removed any of the original bearings YET. when i slide that drum back on, i have the same problem. which doesn't make sense, cause i haven't changed anything over there other than brake hardware. but the drum does not rub on the shoes. which is why i think I am doing something wrong. but in my mind, it can't be that hard to put a drum back in place Smile. im gonna try and push and turn tomorrow to see if i can figure out what im not doing right, at least on the passenger side, BEFORE i remove the races and bearings.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 front brake drum issues Reply with quote

I can't enlarge your pic enough to be sure. But it appears that the old inner bearing race is stuck in the spindle.

If you have a caliper, measure the inside of your replacement bearing. Then measure the spindle just in front of the area where your new bearing will not slide on the spindle any further.

Or, Take one of the loose inner replacement bearings and try to slip it onto the spindle and see where the bearing is interfering with the inner portion of the spindle. <I hope that makes sense.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 front brake drum issues Reply with quote

Try slipping the new inner bearing onto the spindle to see if it is able to slide all the way on easily.

A PO had replaced the spindles on my '69 with '66 (earlier) spindles. The '69 bearings I ordered were loose and wobbled on the spindle, so I ordered bearings to match '66 spindles. These bearings slid on perfectly on the passenger side, but were just slightly too small to slide onto the driver side spindle easily. I used an emery cloth on the spindle and shaved off just enough so the new bearing would slide on/off easily. Maybe you could try this if your bearings are just barely binding up as you slide them on.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 front brake drum issues Reply with quote

ok, i think i determined what you guys mentioned.

as for the possibility of the old race still being in place.....that is not the case. the step that you see on that spindle looks to be all one piece. there is no separation or seam. the picture makes that hard to see due to the ware and tear over time. here's a closer picture

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now as for the I.D.'s of the spindles and bearings

spindles - 27mm
old bearing - abouit 27mm, it fit nice and snug on spindle, as it was supposed to
new bearing - about 29mm, it was very sloppy, which would answer the question about why my drum was wobbling around and not sitting on the spindle.

so. there's that.

i believe i found the inner bearings i need. from what i see, the outer wheel bearing is the same for all years. is that correct?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 front brake drum issues Reply with quote

Outer wheel bearing was the same '66 - '79 (Std & Super Beetles)

'65 and earlier had 2 different types: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/front_axle/front_to_65/out_bearing.cfm

So about mid-year in '68 VW changed spindles from the early size (27mm) to the later size (29mm). Sounds like you have '66 - early '68 spindles on your '68. You'll need to order the '66 - early '68 inner bearings AND grease seals. The I.D. on the late '68 grease seals you have is too big.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 front brake drum issues Reply with quote

having the right sized bearings is half the battle.
the new ones came in today, and it all snapped together as I'd hoped.

at the time that i bought the first set of bearings, i was not aware of this 68-1/2 time frame of the spindles changing sizes. i saw 68 and figured i had it right.

thanks for the help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 front brake drum issues Reply with quote

Take note of the VIN for your bug. Some websites will specify by your VIN whether you have an early '68 or late '68 for the particular part you are looking for. Wolfsburg West does this and is good to use for reference even if you don't order the part from them. It seems that it would have made sense for VW to make all the mid-year changes to the '68 model year at the same time so there would be a clear, consistent VIN crossover point, but I have never seen anything to confirm this. So ... best to confirm with a VIN for any parts listed as early '68 / late '68.

However ... lots of swapping/substituting of parts and assemblies can and has happened over the last 55+ years on most of our cars, so the suggestion above would be a good starting point if your car is very stock, but no guarantee that you'll end up with the correct part every time.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: