Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

veeps, veepsters, scamps? scratch build?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: veeps, veepsters, scamps? scratch build? Reply with quote

So i have been looking (nation wide) for a veep or scamp for sometime with no luck. Lack of funds is not an issue, but finding one is. Has anyone here built one starting from scratch?
This is important, i currently have a cj7 i have been wanting to sell for a while, but every time i mention it, my wife cries. She loves it, i hate it. I showed her a few pics of veeps and she has agreed (with a smiley face) to let the cj7 go for a veep.
I would rather have an actual veep, or scamp, but i will build from scratch if that's what it takes to be free from AMC engineering forever! I searched but did not find any scratch builds, any insight is appreciated.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: veeps, veepsters, scamps? scratch build? Reply with quote

There was a real nice one for sale on Craigslist in Orange County 3 days ago

They turn up fairly frequent on this page

http://www.ewillys.com/category/veep/
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: veeps, veepsters, scamps? scratch build? Reply with quote

I saw the first add for that one but it said it was deleted. I see it is back up now, he raised the price from $4995 to $8500. Might have to call anyway and see if he is reasonable.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: veeps, veepsters, scamps? scratch build? Reply with quote

A local VW'er to me has a super nice Veep. (Not for sale, I have tried). I have kicked around getting a Fiberglass CJ body and adapting it to a VW chassis. I do not know the wheel base, but would be like shortening a chassis for a buggy. Instead of installing pan halves, I would make some sort of perimeter frame to support the body.

I just have too many buggies to build first.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lewism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: veeps, veepsters, scamps? scratch build? Reply with quote

http://cj3a-cj3b-bodykits.com/our-story

This page dates to 2011, so who knows; but the Veep was/is built on a simple 2x4 steel ladder frame. This body with a floor for the frunk, and a Type III engine with the carbs tucked up in behind the wheelwells would be my thought
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: veeps, veepsters, scamps? scratch build? Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
A local VW'er to me has a super nice Veep. (Not for sale, I have tried). I have kicked around getting a Fiberglass CJ body and adapting it to a VW chassis. I do not know the wheel base, but would be like shortening a chassis for a buggy. Instead of installing pan halves, I would make some sort of perimeter frame to support the body.

I just have too many buggies to build first.

The WB is the same 80in , I have the 46 CJ body and a shortend 69 pan someday that project will start .
Like you Joe I have other projects up first , Tow'd , a couple of Sportsters and a 23T bucket
Sure Glad I'm retired and it has stopped raining
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: veeps, veepsters, scamps? scratch build? Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Instead of installing pan halves, I would make some sort of perimeter frame to support the body.

Joe, a couple of these were on Craigslist in Phoenix for a couple hundred for a couple months. They were some unbuilt Veepster frames. They look like something a person could reverse engineer from the pictures, a fiberglass body and VW components. I was thinking how ideal they'd be for a JJ No Hop kit

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JOHN D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: veeps, veepsters, scamps? scratch build? Reply with quote

As Joe mentioned earlier - I have a Veep (factory built) - the frame design has changed a little over the years. The earlier ones like mine used the VW rear torsion and frame horns - attached with clamps to frame. The pictures above are the later style using welded torsion and tube frame horns. Very good kit and really fun to drive - gets lots of attention anywhere I go in it. Actually had a guy wanting to buy just the military body (metal) which is in great shape.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: