Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I have never seen a Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped and was interested to see if anyone else has either. I'm sure the question has been asked before, but only one came up when I did a search.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This wrapped buggy was seen at the phoenix Bug-O-Rama March 19, 2017 at a vendor booth.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I've kicked the idea around and decided to try a wrap in "Urban Camo"
Here's a sample patch. Plan is to wrap whole buggy.

[/url]

I'll keep you posted.

AMAC
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I was also thinking that getting my buggy wrapped might be a good (and cheaper) alternative to a paint job.
I've watched a few videos on wrapping an entire car, and it's something I may look at as an option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

This subject comes up from time to time. On average, if you have a wrap shop do the car, it'll run you anywhere between $2k and $3k depending where you are physically located in the market. The coasts tend to be a bit higher than midwest. And keep in mind that wraps are meant to be temporary. They will not hold up bashing through the woods nor being left in the sun for years. If a portion tears, you have to replace that entire panel - and the colors may not match depending on the initial age of the wrap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

AMAC1680 wrote:
I've kicked the idea around and decided to try a wrap in "Urban Camo"
Here's a sample patch. Plan is to wrap whole buggy.

[/url]

I'll keep you posted.

AMAC

Shouldn't something called "urban camo" have pictures of buildings, cars, fire hydrants, garbage dumpsters, rats, etc? Laughing

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I am not a big fan of overall wrapping however I've got the paint skills so maybe I'd be more enthusiastic about it if not for that. Now, one thing I do like to do is partial wrapping as accents on my kit cars. I like to do carbon fiber accents to wear areas as well as other holographic accents here and there. I can get about 2 to 3 years out of the stuff depending on quality. Newer wrap materials are getting better with easier removal of trapped air and seem easier to shape to me. Pricing around me for overall wraps is $2000 to $4000.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Letterman and woodoctr makes some valid points .

First is you'll need to do it yourself or its too costly. The materials are relatively cheap and I've gotten 5 years out of boat hulls we have done. As they said you also need to have spare material as this stuff is run when it's ordered and color lots vary.

Here on the samba many very talented people sell themselves short. I often read how easy it is just to paint it. Well it's easy if you have the talent and patience. I Look at the bugs here and many of you are artists. I'm not and never have had those skills and don't pretend too. I admire those that can mix, spray etc.

So for me a couple of hundred bucks and a few hours and "It's a wrap".
I've also picked a very forgiving pattern. In the event it needs to be patched the randomness helps. It also hides a less than paint perfect body.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Mark and Donna wrapped the Tiger Tow'd many years ago. I am thinking before '13. They have beat on it in the desert, live in AZ and have driven it across the US. It is holding up well. And hard to get a tighter compound item than the rear fenders.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I have doubts about wraps, my experience is vinyls fade and when it becomes "not" attractive anymore what is involved in cleaning it off and "refinishing" body... Also what if it gets scraped or ripped... No... I'll stay with paint although the vinyl designs can be pretty fantastic....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I have doubts about wraps, my experience is vinyls fade and when it becomes "not" attractive anymore what is involved in cleaning it off and "refinishing" body... Also what if it gets scraped or ripped... No... I'll stay with paint although the vinyl designs can be pretty fantastic....

Dale

Because you can paint very well😉
I've removed 6 year old baked in the sun wraps without issue and the hulls were as good as when they got wrapped.

The newer uv stable wraps are pretty darn tough and hold color well.
Will a wrap ever look like a deep rich paint job, of course not. Few people wrap pristine cars.

To give you an idea in my case it was a wrap or body color bed liner. If the body is removed it will fall apart. The OB diced and sliced it to fit around the cage. Cutout the rear deck and both firewalls.

AMAC
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd agree with that....never had a problem removing any of the wraps I've done so far. Also, they are seem like they are getting better every time I buy some. Last faux carbon fiber wrap I bought had a heavy duty high gloss finish to it that was supposed to be a UV stable laminated clear. Did it last year on the nose of my car....still looks like the day I put it on....
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

What?

No mention of spraying gel coat in lieu of wraps or paint?

Laughing

bnc
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I looked into what it might cost me to "wrap" my Dune Buggy. I can pick up a roll of Flat Orange for about $100.00. There are many different widths of rolls, but I specifically asked about a 30" Wide by 30' Long. I am sure that will be wide enough as I plan to use multiple colors so there is a good possibility that is the route I will go in the not so distant future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Just curious, have you done any wrapping before?
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

BuggyFaron wrote:
I looked into what it might cost me to "wrap" my Dune Buggy. I can pick up a roll of Flat Orange for about $100.00. There are many different widths of rolls, but I specifically asked about a 30" Wide by 30' Long. I am sure that will be wide enough as I plan to use multiple colors so there is a good possibility that is the route I will go in the not so distant future.

That beyond cheap.
The 30" width is ok for a buggy as long as you don't want to do the hood in a single peice.

AMAC
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

woodoctr wrote:
Just curious, have you done any wrapping before?

No, I haven't done a wrap yet. But hadn't done anything else before I tried either. I'm thinking its less of a chance in screwing it up then trying to paint it myself.

That beyond cheap.
The 30" width is ok for a buggy as long as you don't want to do the hood in a single peice.

AMAC[/quote]

Do you think it more expensive than painting it?
No matter what I will see every single flaw either way. But with wrapping it, I wont see the flaws in the paint itself. I don't know... Whats your opinion. Feels like a catch 22, to be honest!
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Yeah, I was just wondering. I found it easier to watch some videos on doing it and then starting with smaller stuff until I got more confident with it. I did gas caps, mirrors, bumper sections, dash areas, etc. I still don't know if I could tackle a whole "normal" car but I think I could handle a dune buggy. You definitely pick up a "feel" for the stuff. I've found the more expensive wraps to be easier to work with.....
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I am big on details, and a seam on the hood would kill it for me with only 30 inch wide roll.

But, if one or two stripes were done on the hood in a contrasting/complimenting color, that would break it up and work very nicely, as a detail stand point. (and also allow for some variation on screw up)

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

But, if one or two stripes were done on the hood in a contrasting/complimenting color, that would break it up and work very nicely, as a detail stand point. (and also allow for some variation on screw up)

Yep, the funky seams would bug me as well. But if you could hide it with contrasting Graphic, I think it would work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: