Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougschne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I am considering it as well. I don't have the gift, tools, etc. to paint the body. I talked with Maaco near me, 60 miles, and I could get a urethane paint job assuming they did no prep work for around $400. A wrap would be about $300 if I did it myself. Still need to watch some videos and check out some examples, but considering trying to paint it in my barn, hauling it over an hour away, or spending a day doing the wrap, the wrap looks pretty attractive. It's not a show piece. Just want it to look nice from 20 feet away!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I have something coming up and need to wrap my buggy for it.

How hard is it on the paint once removed? The Wife is hesitant to let me do this to the buggy because she thinks it will ruin the buggy. I am thinking it may save the finish of the buggy do to what I will be doing with it.

I am looking at wrapping it in October, and removing it the first of July '18.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I've been delayed in my wrap job. Simple seat replacement turned into......

Anyway I've removed wrap from gel coated boat hulls that have been in the sun for 4 years and the gel was fine. Did a few cars that also weans about 4 years.

Use good wrap and the removal is pretty easy.

AMAC
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Joe
One of the major uses for wraps is cars leased to professionals such as real estate companies and vans leased to comlanies. My understanding is they still look like new when the vinyl is peeled back.
My sons frequently change the wrap on their race cars. In an afternoon the white car is now black....but still factory painted red after removing the vinyl.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Ok after the simple seat replace turned into nerf racks, new fuel cell, build to 1776 etc I've got time to play with the very "busy" wrap job.

I picked a very random pattern to hide a ton of cracks, pits and whatever. This buggy has been ratttle canned and brushed over the years. The body was split in a few places to fit it around the cage. Body off was out of the question.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rest of the bug will be more of a decal/wrap to cover the crap but leave some of the paint.

Let re rip guys I've got a thick skin. Lol.

AMAC
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Think It wouldn't my first choice but it doesn't look bad. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I am looking into wrapping my buggy. Taking it to a shop in a couple weeks for measuring/fitment, art work and a cost. If I do go that route, I will have it done this fall.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I think it can work well as a temporary (or permanent) alternative to paint or gelcoat...just get the body smooth underneath and find a pattern and colors you like...
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Not my kind of design taste, but I admit we have been thinking about wrapping our buggy as we want to preserve the 1973 Porsche paint on it.

I lately saw a demo and test of a spray paint which can be peeled off if you don't like it anymore. It combines the benefits of a removable foil wrap with the benefit of spray paint not wrinkling in edgy areas or building air bubbles during application. Check this out (FF to 16:20, if you want to see masking edge quality, paint adherance and removal):

Link

AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

germanx wrote:
Not my kind of design taste, but I admit we have been thinking about wrapping our buggy as we want to preserve the 1973 Porsche paint on it.

I lately saw a demo and test of a spray paint which can be peeled off if you don't like it anymore. It combines the benefits of a removable foil wrap with the benefit of spray paint not wrinkling in edgy areas or building air bubbles during application. Check this out (FF to 16:20, if you want to see masking edge quality, paint adherance and removal):

Link

I've seen these products and they work very, very well.
When I was still doing boats a local company did a few that looked beautiful and yes the stuff just peels off.

Downside for me is I'd need the same paint skills that a normal paint job would require. Not my skill set. Bubbles and wrinkles in a wrap can be avoided with time and care.

AMAC
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

^ That's interesting. I'm not at all familiar with 'removable paint' but it seems an interesting option for people that can't live with one color for the life of the car. Of course, my concern comes in with the same concerns as a wrap - scratches and road rash. Once that surface is compromised, you have to refinish the entire panel. With regular paint, normally it can be blended in.
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
^ That's interesting. I'm not at all familiar with 'removable paint' but it seems an interesting option for people that can't live with one color for the life of the car. Of course, my concern comes in with the same concerns as a wrap - scratches and road rash. Once that surface is compromised, you have to refinish the entire panel. With regular paint, normally it can be blended in.

Those products seem meanwhile to have gotten so advanced, that the paint wrap allows you to do all you can do with normal spray paints, meaning to repainnt and buff out small sections instead of repainting the whole panel.

Check this (another product):

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=autoflex
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

germanx wrote:
Letterman7 wrote:

Those products seem meanwhile to have gotten so advanced, that the paint wrap allows you to do all you can do with normal spray paints, meaning to repainnt and buff out small sections instead of repainting the whole panel.

Check this (another product):

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=autoflex

Like i said those are great, look great and hold up.

That said, in my case, those coatings require a paint shop or the skills to use them. At that point I'd just have it painted.

For me $200.00 and about 5 hours labor and I'm done. I cant paint and wont spend 1500.00 plus for a removable paint.

AMAC
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Here is a Meyers Manx freshly wrapped last week.

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I'll bet it was a real treat wrapping the rear seat/inner fenders!

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Here is a Meyers Manx freshly wrapped last week.

Very nice!
May I ask, $$$ ?

AMAC
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I do not know. It is not mine, but a friend's grandson's Manx.

AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Sorry.
Explains a lot. I couldn't figure out why you would wrap with your paint skills unless for protection or advertising.

That's a nice job. Ive never bothered with the inside on the tube, it takes a beating in there. That said it's the hardest, most complex curves on the buggy.

Really nice work by whomever.

Amac
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Mine will get wrapped for both paint protection and advertising. I figure it will take a harsh beating running the NORRA next year.

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I may look into it here in Germany, the buggy just got painted last year yellow (my dad always wanted it yellow) but when I was a kid and we went all over the place it was dark metal flake green...would be a cool retro and nostalgia feeling if I saw it green again...but then I'd have to get Gates and Implements again too!! Shocked
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: