Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I like that hood wrap, reminds me of the hidden 3D images from early 90's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
I like that hood wrap, reminds me of the hidden 3D images from early 90's
You're right! Hadn't thought of that! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

here's a pic of one of ours that is wrapped. wouldn't have been able to duplicate this in paint unless I found an airbrush artist and that would've cost a lot more than I spent on the wrap , which was about $500. i have a buddy that works at a vinyl shop and gave me a little education when he did this one. one other thing to consider is that just like anything there are cheap wrap material and good wrap material, so that could have alot to do with the bad pealing comercial vehicles we see ? the vinyl on this buggy has a clear protective layer on top of it so that should help with u.v. and durability

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

A little more got done this week, too stinking hot to work on it.

AMAC
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I like it! just be sure to never eat any shrooms around that buggy, heh heh
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
I like it! just be sure to never eat any shrooms around that buggy, heh heh

Hmm I had Pink Floyd on while I wrapped .........

AMAC
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Getting it done:

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

I like the color. Not too many Dark Green Buggies around. Very glossy too.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Thanks!

Turns out "Bottle Green" is really very close to British Racing Green (BRG), which was put on the International UK race cars in respect to Ireland where the race was hosted in 1903. In England the nations top speed was 12 mph.

So I got that going for me, even though I'm not British.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
markdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Thanks!

Turns out "Bottle Green" is really very close to British Racing Green (BRG), which was put on the International UK race cars in respect to Ireland where the race was hosted in 1903. In England the nations top speed was 12 mph.

So I got that going for me, even though I'm not British.

approximately how much did it cost?
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

1900 Euro...$2200
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
markdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
1900 Euro...$2200

thanks
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Way expensive, and I have the bad feeling I don't like what I paid for and not much to do about it. Hate that.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Probably about the same as paint, and less disastrous than if you'd received a poorly done paint job, easy to remove without damaging whats underneath, but maybe less likely to scratch? I'm sure you'll be ok with it in a bit.

I've heard people say that a new body is often cheaper than a respray, but yours is an original, same family from new Manx which is fantastic, I've come across photos of it so many places on the net(particularly the skis picture), to the extent that I would consider it a significant and influential buggy. I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere is building a recreation of it, so it's great that your recreating it from the original buggy.

I think the yellow still visible on shocks and sidebars is probably jarring your eyes a bit when seen with the green. Get those black, remove your seat covers and it will all help. The colours around a colour influence how we see that colour. In the same way that swatches aren't often much help, because we don't see enough of the colour to understand the impression it will give when painted on a large area.

It looks good.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

YDBD, I have played with film just long enough to know I am not good enough to do compound curves. It looks especially difficult to finish seams in the fender valleys.

If disregard what I paid for a decent, large compressor, a medium+ gun, and all the other scheize needed to spray ..not to mention putting up plastic, to fake a 'paint booth', I'd expect to spend about $3-400 dollars for a couple layers of color with the second mixed with clear. Film looks expensive in my imagination ..and likely needing just as much surface prep - no? (I am also too cheap to farm almost anything out.)

More photos to come, ja? Tschuss.

Jim
Manx #2614
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back folks!

The yellow paint went on about 2 years ago, for about 1500 Euro, which included the body work. That's also why I wanted to go with wrap, since the paint was still fresh.

The side bars will come off and the the shocks will be painted silver to match the original paint scheme and I plan on taking the seats in for black covers.

The two guys that did it were really cool, they let me take the stuff off and put it back on in their shop-saved work for them and I'm pretty meticulous about who works on the buggy.

Yes more pictures to come, will get Nacho to send them to me soon.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Vinyl Wrapped Reply with quote

Picture HEAVY!

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: