Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

"Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32"

Formerly, and also known as "Buses By The Arch". A family-oriented VW camping weekend!

Friday, Sep 1st through Monday Sept 4th, 2017 (The entire Labor Holiday Day weekend!)

It's time again to make plans to attend the premier Midwest VW Type 2 camping event! On average, we are delighted to host roughly about 100 Buses. (Check out past event coverage in the July, 2011 issue of "Hot VWs Magazine".)

Come join us for the upcoming "Buses Nowhere Near the Arch" camping weekend. This family camping event will feature a gathering of VW Transporters of all types and eras from all over the USA. While predominantly a Type 2 event, all models of VW are welcome to camp with us! We are looking forward to seeing you and your Transporter amidst all the "Split-windshields", "Bubble-windshields", Vanagons, and EuroVans as well as any other VW types this Fall. All models and years of VWs are invited, and only VWs are allowed inside the BNNTA event campground.

"Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32" will be held rain or shine over the
long Labor Day holiday weekend, Friday, Sept 1st thru Sep 4th, 2017. We will gather again at the "group use" campground at Indian Creek Recreation Area. This U.S. Army Corps of Engineers campground is located right alongside 18,000 acre Mark Twain Lake, about 30 miles southwest of historic Hannibal, Missouri. This is a beautiful, federally-run campground with paved roads and parking pads and nice facilities. Most conveniences are available in nearby Monroe City or Hannibal.

On both Friday and Saturday evening we plan to have campfires and music along with VW and other "unusual" door prizes, and parts swapping in addition to the "site-to-site" socializing "Bus-banter" that this VW camping event is famous for. On Saturday morning we are planning another of our famous "Bus caravans" over to historic Hannibal, the boyhood home of Samuel Clemens, a.k.a. "Mark Twain." You'll have lots of time to explore the haunts of his hometown, or tour "Injun Joe's cave." You won't want to miss it!

If all goes well, on Saturday afternoon we plan another communal gathering for a pot luck dinner. So if you join us for that, please bring a large portion side dish to share with everyone! On Saturday evening, owners choice awards will be presented in several Type 2 classes in addition to vendor and participant-donated door prizes. If you have a neat VW related item to donate, bring it along. On Sunday you are free to enjoy the lake or visit other regional highlights. It should prove to be a relaxed, fun weekend full of great Volkswagen experiences and new friendships.

Our private camping facilities at Indian Creek include our own large, private "Buses Nowhere Near the Arch" group area with some electric hook-ups (first come, first served), fishing, water-sports (bring your water toys), playground, a huge pavilion, toilet and shower facilities, and a nearby boat ramp. The all inclusive camping/event fee is $30 per VW for the entire weekend.

Only VW’s that are registered and camping will be admitted into the BNNTA group campground area! Now, please read that last sentence again!

Sites in the BNNTA group campground area cannot be reserved in advance. The gates to our campground will be open for arrivals and site selection by about noon on Friday. If you arrive earlier, you could stay nearby in the regular campground at the Indian Creek Recreational Area. Although there should be plenty of room, the earlier you arrive the better.

We are looking forward to your arrival for a holiday weekend full of Volkswagen fun. Please pass the word around to your VW friends about this Volkswagen camping festival held over the long Labor Day holiday weekend!

So wipe down and pack up those Transporters for the cruise over to Mark Twain Lake for the "Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32" campout on Friday, Sep 1st thru Monday Sept 4th, 2017 near Hannibal, Missouri. Please see the website below for lots of photos and information and a link to a mapping program to find your way to BNNTA.

"Buses Nowhere Near the Arch #32"
Indian Creek Recreation Area, Mark Twain Lake, MO

Directions:

From Monroe City, MO:
Take US Route 24 southwest approx. 6.5 miles.
Turn left (south) onto State Route "HH", (WATCH FOR "BNNTA" SIGNS)
Proceed almost 1.75 miles, turn left onto first paved road. Monroe County Road #581. There is an "Indian Creek Marina" billboard as well as a BNNTA event sign at this turn, then proceed a little over 3.5 miles into the "Indian Creek Recreational Area" and watch for BNNTA signs on the right for the turn to the "Group Use Area"; then follow the BNNTA signs into the "Group Use Area".

Welcome to "Buses Nowhere Near the Arch" ! We'll see you there!

Bill Bowman

http://www.bnnta.com/
Mission VW - San Fernando
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

The event artwork (for T-shirts, award plaques, and dash plaques) is done and as usual, looks great, thanks to super-long time event participant Tom Janiszewski! Thanks again Tom! Now I can order up the shirts, awards, dash plaques and window stickers. I think you'll like 'em too.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

Is it labor day weekend yet??
Can't wait !
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

Hi Rick and everyone!

Four days and counting down...

The Rangers have our campground ready and I think like in the past the Rangers will probably open up the "group campground" where the Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 event is held at least a day early on Thursday for the early arrivals.

If anyone arrives early and camps in there on Wednesday or Thursday night you must drive over at some point to the "main campground" and pay the daily rate for the early arrival camping. The BNNTA event is paying for the sites from noon Friday through noon on Monday and that camping will be included in your event registration fee. Please, please, please take care of paying for your early arrival camping with the booth at the main campground, as I don't want to get chewed out by the Rangers for folks not taking care of that. No one should jeopardize their kindness at opening the gates early for you by failing to pay those daily rates. Nuff said!

The awards are here, the T-shirts look awesome again this year and we are assembling the registration packets as I type. I gotta load up three Buses with event stuff and pack some clothes. Remember that if you want to join in on our communal pot luck dinner on Saturday evening (yes, Jim Kirk is again bringing his famous tasty pork butts!), then please contribute to it by bringing a large dish to share with your old and new VW friends. That would be very appreciated by all. Thanks!

We are looking forward to seeing you all in just a few days camping on Mark Twain Lake at the BNNTA campout this Labor day weekend! Pack up those VWs and have a slow, fun and safe journey over to the Lake this weekend!

Bill & Kathryn Bowman
www.bnnta.com
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

Me again,

I usually hate to look at long range weather forecasts until about 4 days out from an event when they are usually far more accurate, so I just just held my breath and pressed the "enter" button, and I'm delighted with what I'm seeing on weather.com for the upcoming weekend camping event! Have a look for yourself:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/15185:21:US

Wooooo Hooooo! Gonna be nice. Ice down your cooler(s), pack up your VW and prepare to get your "camping in a VW" thing on!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

Looking forward to our first time attending this event. (we're originally from the west coast and new to the midwest area) We will be leaving early Friday am from North West Indiana in a '64 Kombi we rescued from abandonment in the middle of the AZ desert a few years ago. If anyone wants to "caravan" along with us, let me know.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

Be sure to introduce yourself to me when you're there "60freak". Do you look just like your avatar photo? LOL I think Jim Kirk is driving on Friday from Indianapolis straight over to the BNNTA event, not sure exactly when. Watch for a blue 1971 Adventurewagen Camper headed westbound loaded down with yummy pre-bar-b-qued pork butts for the pot luck dinner on Saturday!

We've got our event organization stuff almost completed, and loaded up into three Transporters for the drive. I think folks are starting to arrive on the Lake today...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Be sure to introduce yourself to me when you're there "60freak". Do you look just like your avatar photo? LOL I think Jim Kirk is driving on Friday from Indianapolis straight over to the BNNTA event, not sure exactly when. Watch for a blue 1971 Adventurewagen Camper headed westbound loaded down with yummy pre-bar-b-qued pork butts for the pot luck dinner on Saturday!

We've got our event organization stuff almost completed, and loaded up into three Transporters for the drive. I think folks are starting to arrive on the Lake today...

Bill

I'll be sure to introduce myself and my family for sure, see you there!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

Sounds like there is a nice group of early arrivals in the BNNTA camping site tonight. Nice camping weather!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

great will be good to meet some new folks and of course see some old friends.
Got my rivi packed and Caroline and I are hitting the road...only 90 miles.
perfect weather ..again!
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thankfully "60freak" does not look anything like his Samba.com avatar photo!

Wow! What a great weekend! We just brought three of my own Transporters back home to their garage from the 32nd BNNTA Campout held on the shores of Mark Twain Lake up near Hannibal, Missouri with hardly any issues. Fantastic weather all four days! I gotta sit down and decompress. I'll report back later. If anyone is home and wants to post up a few of their photos from BNNTA #32, please do so! I'm going to take my lovely, patient and supportive wife Kathryn out to dinner tonight.

Bill Bowman
www.bnnta.com
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

Thanks Bill! We had a wonderful time, met many great folks and made new friends. We decided to take off Sunday so we could attend to a few things at home before the work week, next year we plan to stay the extra day. The bus ran great all the way home, no issues at all. I'll get some pics uploaded sometime today. Thanks again for the awesome time at BNNTA #32 and all the hard work you (and others) have done to keep the event alive, we truly enjoyed it and can't wait for next year!
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

A few pics from the weekend,great time as always.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

Nothing like a relaxing camping weekend! Shocked

WTF happened here? Confused
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Nothing like a relaxing camping weekend! Shocked

WTF happened here? Confused

Just about everything and anything, pistons, bearings....you name it! I left before he had it all back together, does anybody know if he got it running and made it home?
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

had it back together before sundown..sounded good. I know they went for a beerrun in it Sunday afternoon...haven't heard if he made it back to Tulsa yet
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:
had it back together before sundown..sounded good. I know they went for a beerrun in it Sunday afternoon...haven't heard if he made it back to Tulsa yet

Cool, hope he made it back ok. He drove about 91 miles more than we did, so about the same length of a ride, a pretty long one! If anything I figured our motor would possibly have an issue since I built it up in my garage myself using old used pieces and parts from several other motors, but it chugged along great. A little valve chatter is present now but doesn't sound too detrimental. We were the honorable mention for long distance in a RGB split, which was kinda cool. I was gonna talk to him cuz I'm an old school vw junkie as well like him and daily drive 'em year round, but I could tell he was in the zone and I didn't want to get in the way (plus I'm a new guy that nobody knew) Wink
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:
A few pics from the weekend,great time as always.

Here's my other half with BulliBill and crew getting ready to move the Okrasa engine we carried down in Schultz in to Bill's DD panel van.

Despite a broken crank two weeks ago in "Dora" the SO44, she and her loaner engine as well as "Schultz" the double cab made it all 1000 miles down and back

By chance there were three SO44 Poptop buses at this event (2 from 1965, and our 1966). There's KWZ and his blue/white 1965 SO44 parked behind ours.

Really neat to see the subtle differences between the 1965 version of the SO44 and the 1966 version.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

More pictures from the weekend

Two SO44's

Teaching the puppy to sleep in the childs cot. The previous owner told us it was last used in 1976 in Holland when her now 48 year old son loved it.

At the Dam overlook of the spillway

BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #32 (BNNTA #32) 9/1-9/4 2017 Reply with quote

Hey Mr. B.,

Thanks for another excellent weekend!!!

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: